Am i alone on this, or does anyone else go by military time?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm also on 24 hr time. I do tell people who ask the time in 12 hr format, except at work.

To me, its just so much more straightforward than 12 hour, where you need am/pm to get the full picture.

If I need to calculate how long something needs to run, and what time to cut it off, etc...24 hr clocks work a lot better.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't know of anyone else who goes by military time. like if someone asks what time it is i'll answer 18:22 and their like what? lol my wrist watch, cell phone, and other items i all have set to military time. anyone else do this.
I use 12 hour time, but understand 24 hour time. Unless you are obviously dressed in military garb, and you responded with a verbal 24 hour time response, I would think that you were trying to make a point, (and I'd be puzzled at what the point is that you are trying to make), or are being cute. Depending upon my perception, it may not go over well. I would however politely THANK YOU for the assistance.

I don't use 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM but rather 12 noon, or Midnight, I believe that is universally understood.

In the USA, we typically go by the 12 hour AM-PM designation. Look at the media, how do they report the news? Look at the television advertisements, what time do they tell their audience that any particular show will be on? You're surprised that most people give you a puzzled look when you respond in a 24 hour clock, when a person asks you what the time of day is, and you respond that it is 18:22 as opposed to saying it is 6:22 PM. Hmmm don't you think that you might get a similar puzzled response when you spelled out that it was PM? Don't you think that they already know that?, and the more appropriate response would be simply 6:22?

Overall, I think that you are on your own. For the most part people in the US go on a 12 hour AM-PM schedule. Those who responded to your thread (who use a 24 hour time frame) use it in technical write ups and when it is important in work. But when corresponding with the general public use the 12 hour AM-PM time designation - in the USA.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 12 hour time, but understand 24 hour time. Unless you are obviously dressed in military garb, and you responded with a verbal 24 hour time response, I would think that you were trying to make a point, (and I'd be puzzled at what the point is that you are trying to make), or are being cute. Depending upon my perception, it may not go over well. I would however politely THANK YOU for the assistance.

I don't use 12:00 AM or 12:00 PM but rather 12 noon, or Midnight, I believe that is universally understood.

In the USA, we typically go by the 12 hour AM-PM designation. Look at the media, how do they report the news? Look at the television advertisements, what time do they tell their audience that any particular show will be on? You're surprised that most people give you a puzzled look when you respond in a 24 hour clock, when a person asks you what the time of day is, and you respond that it is 18:22 as opposed to saying it is 6:22 PM. Hmmm don't you think that you might get a similar puzzled response when you spelled out that it was PM? Don't you think that they already know that?, and the more appropriate response would be simply 6:22?

Overall, I think that you are on your own. For the most part people in the US go on a 12 hour AM-PM schedule. Those who responded to your thread (who use a 24 hour time frame) use it in technical write ups and when it is important in work. But when corresponding with the general public use the 12 hour AM-PM time designation - in the USA.

"You are on your own"

The last 6 or 7 posts read that these people use 24 hour time! :caution:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Once you get used to one count of numbers per day, two counts is SO annoying. But yeah, you gotta auto translate for people around you (US).

For those who come into my space, and look puzzled at a clock (or watch), I tell them to "subtract 12 to get normal time."

Poppy

Flashaholic
"You are on your own"

The last 6 or 7 posts read that these people use 24 hour time! :caution:
Is there a puzzled smiley face?
sidcross, please Re-read their posts, and correct me if I am wrong... don't they for the most part qualify that when speaking to people "outside of work" they change to 12 hour period.
The OP does not do that. Therefore IMO he is essentially on his own. Out of the millions of people on the planet, will he be totally on his own, well no. But let's get real.
At this point in time there are 878 views and only 26 replies, I suspect that for the most part only those who go on 24 hour time responded. I am sure that there were many more people who saw the title and didn't click.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I understand 24 hr time but I don't use it. I don't really know anyone who does uses it regularly either.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I used 24 hr format when I worked shift work, but that was decades ago and now I think in (and prefer) 12 hr format. The clock on my VW van is 24hr format and annoys me (but not enough to get the device and software needed to change it to 12 hr format). I think a huge majority of people in Oz use 12hr format, and if I talked to anyone using 24 hr format they would be puzzled by any time past noon. Times between 01:00am and 11:59am are effectively the same in either format.

splaer

Newly Enlightened
My server farms for work inspired me to start using a 24 hour clock. When writing various programs or scripts and when to execute them. Most importantly log files. Am and pm would just add confusion.

arek98

Enlightened
I'm European so I use to use 24 hour time. It was hard to switch to this AM\PM when I moved to US. Now when I go to visit family of friends back in Europe and I say "lets meet for dinner at 6" they look at me like WHAT??! (for all of them six is only early in the morning). I'm still confused about noon and midnight, I always have to think few seconds before I remember which is 12pm and which 12am.

Anyway is nowhere close as bad as temperature. After more than 10 years in US I still only know that 32F is freezing point, ~70F is nice temperature. 100F is too hot. Usually I need to convert to C to imagine how it feels.

Why US needs to have their own units for almost everything?

BTW, how many of you can tell off the top of your head how many yards or feet is in one mile. I have no problems telling how many meters in in one kilometer :)

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

We are 567 minutes into the 91st day of the year

_

Who needs hours, or even months?

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a vintage Navy clock to use in my home office because it displays military time. Most of my other clocks are analog and 12 hour. I use both military & standard time depending on who I'm talking/writing to. By military time I mean 24 hours, local time, not GMT (zulu).

JCD

Enlightened
I'm European so I use to use 24 hour time. It was hard to switch to this AM\PM when I moved to US. Now when I go to visit family of friends back in Europe and I say "lets meet for dinner at 6" they look at me like WHAT??! (for all of them six is only early in the morning). I'm still confused about noon and midnight, I always have to think few seconds before I remember which is 12pm and which 12am.

Anyway is nowhere close as bad as temperature. After more than 10 years in US I still only know that 32F is freezing point, ~70F is nice temperature. 100F is too hot. Usually I need to convert to C to imagine how it feels.

Why US needs to have their own units for almost everything?

BTW, how many of you can tell off the top of your head how many yards or feet is in one mile. I have no problems telling how many meters in in one kilometer :)

I didn't realize that Europeans used 24-hour time. I did know that they used proper SI units, though! I wish SI was used typically in the US; it's so much simpler and logical.

OCD

Enlightened
O.k....I'll bite and post in the minority here....

As never served in the military, first responder, etc, where it was mandatory to communicate via 24h system, I've never seen the need to use it. Now I do understand it, quite easily infact. But literally EVERYONE I communicate with on a daily basis uses the 12h system, so why change the way I learned? I see no reason to. That's just me. Different strokes for different folks......

And arek98, there's 5280 ft in a mile (or 1760 yds)...every self-respecting engineer knows that! And I can also tell you (still of the top of my head) that there are 25.4 mm per inch....or 2.54 cm, if you wish! ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Must admit, I don't use military time. If I told most folks it's 1600 hours, they'd have no clue I just said 4pm. So, I just say 4pm. I understand why the military uses a 24-hour scale for telling time. But outside the military, if you tell someone it's 10 O'clock and it's not dark out, they know you mean 10am. Or you can just say am or pm. Done.