American (USA) made flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if you missed a comma, but Arc and HDS (now called Ra Lights) are different companies, and have been for a while. Although Arc and HDS had a history of making lights together as Arc, that has long since passed. But both companies are US-made lights (Arc & HDS/Ra Lights).

Yup, missed a comma. :)
But didn't know that HDS goes by the name Ra Lights now. Pretty cool name.

Do you agree that we should make a distinction between custom makers and regular manufacturers or should we just keep them together in one list?

I think I'll retract my own statement, since this list is about where the lights are made, not if they are made by a "qualified" manufacturer, as I misinterpreted the thread in the beginning. It's also not that easy to distinguish a manufacturer from a custom maker, easier to say where a light is made.
So I vote "no" on my own suggestion. :)

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insight also makes the Gladius in license, and has all the time. The license agreement prevented them from selling the light under their own brand name for a certain time.

The Insight Typhoon is not a clone of the Gladius, it's the same light re-branded.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Plus, IIRC, the Pierce wasn't made in USA. :shrug: I wrote them asking, and I seem to remember them saying it wasn't. :thinking: I guess it doesn't matter now though!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus, IIRC, the Pierce wasn't made in USA. :shrug: I wrote them asking, and I seem to remember them saying it wasn't. :thinking: I guess it doesn't matter now though!

:eek: What?!? I was under the impression that the M10 was made in the US. This is worse than finding out that Santa isn't real. :(

jch79

:eek: What?!? I was under the impression that the M10 was made in the US. This is worse than finding out that Santa isn't real. :(

Wait... :santa: ISN'T REAL?!?!? :( :(

Derek, although it was a long while ago, I remember writing them asking where it was made, and he said overseas. Now, granted, it was a while ago, and I have a :tinfoil: memory - but this I remember being surprised and bummed about!

:wave: john

jch79

Ok, found Pierce's statement on it from here:

We do acquire some parts overseas. However, we do our designs, assembly, QA inspection, some manufacturing processes in the US of A.

For example, the Luxeon I get may be manufactured overseas in Malaysia, the optics we get are manufactured here in the USA. The power chips we get are a US company's proudct, etc. etc.

I'm guessing since they don't say it outright that the machining is done in the USA, I'll go ahead and assume that it's not.

john

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about:

Night-ops (Gladius) - sent an e-mail requesting info.

Here's the response re: Night-ops (BlackHawk):

Hello Rich
Thank you for contacting BlackHawk Products Group.
Our night ops lights are made in several different countries depending on the light purchased.
They are made in Spain, China and S.Korea and also the United States.
I hope this information proves helpful.
Thanks

Diane Sheppard
Blackhawk! Products Group
Customer Support Service
6160 Commander Pkwy
Norfolk, Va 23502
(757)436-3101 x 3279
(757)436-3088
www.blackhawk.com
[email protected]

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anything with an SSC, or Nichia be considered Made in USA? Also, the McGizmo McClicky is manufactured in China.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Can anything with an SSC, or Nichia be considered Made in USA? Also, the McGizmo McClicky is manufactured in China.
Cree also uses some international assembly/packaging/processing outside the USA for their XR-E LED I believe.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect 100% of everything (subcomponents etc) to be made in the USA from 100% USA-sourced raw materials.
On the other hand there is also a point at which a product is too foreign in terms of parts, processing or whatever to be considered Made in the USA.

Al

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The latest Consumer Reports devoted a couple pages to the question "Made in the USA?".
To quote: "A direct made in the USA claim means that all or virtually all significant parts and processing are of U.S. origin."..."The only U.S.-made products that have to say so are seafood, cars, furs, and some clothing, textiles, and woolen goods."

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.