American (USA) made flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
To quote: "A direct made in the USA claim means that all or virtually all significant parts and processing are of U.S. origin."..."The only U.S.-made products that have to say so are seafood, cars, furs, and some clothing, textiles, and woolen goods."

Geoff-
The CR article is quoting the official definition, as set by the FTC, and quoted and linked in my post (#16) above. :)
-john

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Oops. Sorry to be repeating what you already said, John. I've been away for a few days and didn't read everything carefully enough.

Geoff

jch79

It's cool Geoff! I'd actually really like to check out the CR article... however, their website is password-protected. :(

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Federal Trade Comission said:
For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S.

What does "all or virtually all" mean?
"All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content.

Wouldn't that basicly rule out most of the LED lights? Almost all of the LEDs used are made in asia. I'd say the emitter of a LED flashlight is pretty much the most significant part in the entire light.

This is not to stir anything up, I'm just wondering... :)

Marduke

Flashaholic
Wouldn't that basicly rule out most of the LED lights? Almost all of the LEDs used are made in asia. I'd say the emitter of a LED flashlight is pretty much the most significant part in the entire light.

This is not to stir anything up, I'm just wondering... :)

Cree and Lumileds are US products (at least for now). Nichia is Japan, SSC is South Korea (with US made EZ1000 dies), and who cares about the cheap blue dim junk from China?

jch79

Marduke, I don't think Lumileds are made in USA... :thinking: Can you point us toward a link somewhere? That'd be cool to know!!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Marduke, I don't think Lumileds are made in USA... :thinking: Can you point us toward a link somewhere? That'd be cool to know!!

Philips Lumileds maintains manufacturing operations in San Jose, California, Penang, Malaysia and Yishun, Singapore with dedicated R&D labs in San Jose, California and Best, The Netherlands.

Source:
http://www.lumileds.com/technology/manufacturing.cfm

I believe the Rebel is US made, and who cares about their other older tech?

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Streamlight US made? I own a Streamlight Twin Task CR123 light that clearly has 'CHINA' stamped on the tailcap next to the loop for the lanyard.

jch79

Rich has Streamlight listed with an *, which means "some imported products" - but they also qualify as ** (imported parts assembled in USA), as some of their lights say "Assembled in USA".

So it all depends on which Streamlight you have! :duh2:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
LRI means "Laughing Rabbit Incorporated". You'd think with such a name they had to be Chinese, but they're based in the US. Then again, at least some of the components are Chinese - Nichia LEDs, for instance.

meh, their most expensive product Proton is made in China, not sure about Rex and the other lights. The Micro is made in the US.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Maybe this question is off topic, but I am curious:

I have seen and own flashlights made in America, and a bunch made in Asia. Anywhere else?

Are there noteworthy light producers in Europe? England? Germany?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.