• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

I will think about this hard before I commit to putting it together. My biggest problem is that I don't really like aspheric lights especially fix focus. I am not even a fan of TIR lights. I have several projects in line which I like more because I am into reflectors. If I do choose to pursue the idea above I will have to abandon 1-2 of my upcoming projects....I will try to stay opened minded...We will see...

Last edited:

sal415

Newly Enlightened
That xml aspheric light would be great id be in for one for sure especially with the wavien collar they make a big difference please make it

TINF

Newly Enlightened

I will be in for one of these as well....

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I actually do like aspherics to me they are redundant.

If you want to light something up, at virtually any distance, grab a laser. Only minus is you're limited to blue, green, or red.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm..
My problem with aspherics is that it can be hard to tell exactly what it is yer lighting up.

The edges are so defined and the spot usually so small that u might not know if it's a tree or a cliff or the angle of a hillside etc.

An example
- I was using a modified Smallsun which normally has an adjustable lens a but bigger than the Ahorton.
Mine had a neutral XRE @1.8amps but was in a p60 pill so I had to change the focus and tape it in place.
Anyways, we were out doing some scouting for a new leg of one of our trails & using my Smallsun to scout out a ravine below us which was full of eucalyptus and coyote brush.
At one point a friend turned his 7X XPG lupine on and even though it couldn't throw nearly as far as my Smallsun it was more useful for surveying our area.

I should probably send my Smallsun in to Vinh someday to have him swap an XPE2 onto the original pill.
That way I could adjust the focus on the fly & blur the beam to see more and have a bit more context ;)

Oh and speaking of Aspgerics, I did use my Ahorton lens detuned over the flood/mule in my helmet light for a while to focus the flood a bit more.
It worked pretty well that way paired with an XML in SMO.

Here's a pic
7A323C06-D92F-43FB-8C34-0227F8BC4A5F-643-0000007475336B46.jpg

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

I have recently gotten a lot of questions regarding my available time for flashlight work. There seems to be a concern that I am too busy to take on more orders and deliver punctually. I just want to say, don't worry about it. I'm perfectly comfortable with the workload. If your orders are taking longer than expected its simply just because shipment of parts haven't arrived. I rarely ever let a project sit on my shelve more than 3 days if all the parts are in and ready. :)

This is also one reason why I causally do preorders on lights like K40vn, X40vn, TN31vn...Gives me plenty of time to take orders and sort out proper options. When the light actualyl arrives i am right on it. No time is wasted. :)

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

I also greatly appreciated when someone answer a posted question. Saves me time plus others answers are usually more informative and detailed than mines anyways. :)

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW WOW WOW SPEECHLESS ! ! !

Glad I did not sell this light and let you do this upgrade because this thing is AMAZING! This thing would give the FF4 a run for its money.

Did you see the before and after as well??

I was on the fence about having you dedome but this light already throws far enough and the extra spill is more useful to me then throw. I have your K40vn for that job and your X40vn on order.

I can't wait for to fix my FM Elephant II :)

Excellent work Vinh

Thanks again!
Hi Mike, hey you said that your RC40 ran for 90 minutes straight on turbo, how long is turbo mode running after the Vinh upgrade? Thanks

Mike9028

Enlightened

Hi Mike, hey you said that your RC40 ran for 90 minutes straight on turbo, how long is turbo mode running after the Vinh upgrade? Thanks

Good question. I just got the light back a few days ago and haven't tested run times post mod yet...but so far with moderate use it seems to be holding up just fine. It was def worth the upgrade IMHO.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

While I actually do like aspherics to me they are redundant.

If you want to light something up, at virtually any distance, grab a laser. Only minus is you're limited to blue, green, or red.

LOL

Well, all you see is a dot, which is blue, green or red....you can't see what its ON.

The SMALL aspherics have an analogous problem...the square of light is too small to make out what the beam is ON. You see the spot, a picture of the LED, way off in the distance, but, its really hard to see details of the target when the spot is too small.

At long enough ranges though, that small spot does expand, and can become large enough to be useful.

Here's a shot from a Crelant 7G5 V2, with the Aspheric Head:

7380127656_7c0c09243d_c.jpg

Here's roughly the same shot w/o the Aspheric Head (Roughly because it was earlier in the night and the sky was still a little light, and its a little more over exposed - but the beam shape and spread of the intensity is easy to make out):

7164953211_a2d1d49b8e_c.jpg

The aspheric definitely optimizes the throw and the spill, etc, is greatly diminished. If I needed to see that tree clearly, the aspherical version could make it happen best. If I needed to see between myself and that tree, the reflector version would probably do a better job, etc.

:D

Last edited:

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast

The thing is with a laser you do get a similar kind of effect. You absolutely do have to play with the focus though.

Aspherics just aren't meant for close up distances... not unless you go to the other extreme and want to have very even flood lighting.

I do love the beams they produce :)

16Crelant7G3CSModded_zps89ca7c00.jpg

Tracker II

Enlightened

I would like to take this opportunity to RANT about my own stupidity. I want to send Vin Paypal money but don't know where to send it. Can someone help out a confused old man?

Grumpy1

Newly Enlightened

PM Vin for that info.
I would like to take this opportunity to RANT about my own stupidity. I want to send Vin Paypal money but don't know where to send it. Can someone help out a confused old man?

likmonster

Newly Enlightened

I had to post, I am finally getting my vn cherry popped soon! Vinh has been awesome to deal with and responds quickly. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a collection of vn lights.

Tracker II

Enlightened

Vinh, after reading through a great number of your threads this week, your enthusiasm for lights just jumps out at me. My guess is that you have this same enthusiasm for life also and that just makes it that much more fun to do business with you. Continued success my friend!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Vinh, after reading through a great number of your threads this week, your enthusiasm for lights just jumps out at me. My guess is that you have this same enthusiasm for life also and that just makes it that much more fun to do business with you. Continued success my friend!

Honestly speaking from the bottom of my heart. I love Life. I got everything I need to keep me happy. Lights has been my passion since I was a kid. I used to crawl under my bed in Vietnam when I was six so I could light up a 1.5V bulb with a D Cell battery. All mounted on a ruler for a homemade flashlight. Thanks for your wish for success. I hope to one day expand and go bigger with lights.

donn_

Flashaholic

I used to crawl under my bed in Vietnam when I was six so I could light up a 1.5V bulb with a D Cell battery.

What a coincidence! Probably 20 years before that, I crawled under my bed (cot) in Vietnam, with a 1955 Fulton Right-Angle 2-D flashlight, hiding from incoming fire.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

What a coincidence! Probably 20 years before that, I crawled under my bed (cot) in Vietnam, with a 1955 Fulton Right-Angle 2-D flashlight, hiding from incoming fire.

You gotta be kidding me! Wow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts