• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Re: Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

This Vinh bashing is just BRUTAL.

I don't know HOW he can take it day after day.

:whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::twak::twak::twak::takeit::xyxgun::xyxgun::xyxgun::dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I was 18 when I got there.

Where did you live?

Born and lived in Saigon until I was 6. Since my dad was a veteran and was imprisoned by the VC for 8.5 years, the US let us refuge to the US in 1993. Glad to be here. :)

donn_

Flashaholic

Glad to have you here! I spent a good deal of time in Saigon, but I was stationed up north, near Danang. I was fortunate in my job (crypto communications) to be able to travel all over Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

What a coincidence! Probably 20 years before that, I crawled under my bed (cot) in Vietnam, with a 1955 Fulton Right-Angle 2-D flashlight, hiding from incoming fire.

I had no idea! thanks for your service!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Gonna have to think of a discount for veterans

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

This Vinh bashing is just BRUTAL.

I don't know HOW he can take it day after day.

:whoopin::whoopin::whoopin::twak::twak::twak::takeit::xyxgun::xyxgun::xyxgun::dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse:
I will spare Vinh then and give him a little break on this post

Teej do u think expensive HIDs are worth it if you don't use them for a living like you do, like your Polarion PH-50? I've been hinting at getting a really spectacular Vinh mod OR getting a XeRay. I want the XeRay BUT what scares me into maybe going with a Vinh mod instead is LED lifespans vs HID lifespans

Does it bother you Teej that your PH-50 was SO expensive but yet the quoted lifespan is like 5% of rated LED lifespans? OR do you factor in that Polarion parts can be replaced over & over? Let me ask this do u think your Polarion will last your entire life?

It's just SO expensive so it freaks me out to see figures like 1,000 hour bulb life but yet LEDs are like 50,000 hours

Maybe this is a bad thread for my question but I sure am 'Ranting' and I sure am 'Stressing' about paying too much for a short lifespan light!!

donn_

Flashaholic

It's just SO expensive so it freaks me out to see figures like 1,000 hour bulb life but yet LEDs are like 50,000 hours

Put it in real life perspective. If the 1,000 hour estimate is real, you can burn the HID for a full hour, every night, for nearly 3 years before you hit the 1,000 hour mark. That makes 1,000 hours look like a really long time.

Also, you should keep in mind the fact these estimates are just that...estimates. They are based on ideal circumstances, which you will never encounter. If an emitter Vinh pushes lasts 50,000 hours, I'd be really surprised, but as I'm already 67 years old, it's unlikely I'll even put 50,000 hours on one of Vinh's lights.

I have incan hotwires which use bulbs and voltages that yield only a couple of hours of bulb life...sometimes only a couple of minutes. :poof::fail:

TEEJ

Flashaholic

In real life...the main reason for the HID is massive lumens AND throw...but, for 20-30 minutes on a charge. So, I mainly would use the HID if working from a mobile platform, such as a boat or vehicle with a 12v receptacle.

Some of the HID have IR filters (HID pump out massive IR)....and that supplements the NV equipment. (Hellfire, etc)

For a ground search, the HID stay in the truck...as to bring them along, and the power supplies (Spare car batteries, etc...), its just too heavy.

And - Consider how many lights you bought in the past year...and, how long you think before something better comes along...and renders what you have very large and dim, compared to what you could replace it with.

IE: If the lights go 3 years before needing a bulb...and I was USING it that much so it did, fine, I'll get a new bulb....or, just get a new light that is smaller and has more output, etc.

If you just buy them to have a top drawer light, but you don't NEED them or use them for anything...the bulbs will last so long it wont be a problem. As Don explained, 1,000 hrs of USE is a lot.

If you shine it for a hour once a week for example...that's 1,000 weeks, or ~ 19 YEARS.

In 19 years keychain lights will out perform it, assuming we even need keys anymore.

:D

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Put it in real life perspective. If the 1,000 hour estimate is real, you can burn the HID for a full hour, every night, for nearly 3 years before you hit the 1,000 hour mark. That makes 1,000 hours look like a really long time.
Yes true. And even if after 10 years the bulb fails I can always replace the bulb! If battery fails I can replace the battery! So my main concern then is is there any parts of the light that MAY break that can't be replaced? Boom if this part fails time to toss it in the dumpster, OR is this the type of high quality light where as long as you haven't cracked the host itself it can always be repaired? If that is the case I'm gonna get it

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I always wanted to see what a Ph50 look like in real life :)

I remember the Sr90 used to be teh beast but next to a Ph50 it was nothing.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

In 19 years keychain lights will out perform it, assuming we even need keys anymore.

:D
Oh no Teej this is a very controversial statement the HID nuts will lynch you for this! They hate statements about LED surpassing HID. I think HID is more matured so a hand held 70 watt military grade type HID light today may not really improve too much in 19 years without a larger form factor. Not even close to true for LED. But as u taught me LED can match throw OR lumens but not both

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always wanted to see what a Ph50 look like in real life :)

I remember the Sr90 used to be teh beast but next to a Ph50 it was nothing.
There's a thread where the Polarion lovers kept using the SR90 as the measuring stick for LED comparison, and the HID camp all said the PH50 smokes it

Speedfreakz

Newly Enlightened
Re: Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

I have a problem with my k40v54. I can't find anywhere it won't reach out and light up. :p
I showed the wife my light outside and said I think people will think it's a search light. The wife days "you better be careful you don't get in trouble with that". We go inside and one of the headlines on the news: "did you see a bright light in the sky?" And she hits me and says "I told you so!" Turns out it was a meteor and not me

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Annoucements - Rant - Rave - Complaint - Feedback - Stress Relieve

I have a problem with my k40v54. I can't find anywhere it won't reach out and light up. :p
I showed the wife my light outside and said I think people will think it's a search light. The wife days "you better be careful you don't get in trouble with that". We go inside and one of the headlines on the news: "did you see a bright light in the sky?" And she hits me and says "I told you so!" Turns out it was a meteor and not me

wow LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.