Annoying problem with a vintage NovaTac SPA Defense SPL-120

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
So I recently re-discovered my old NovaTac SPA Defense SPL-120 and had been trying to use it in my bedroom at night, navigating around with it's fairly soft LED light. The problem is that if left unused (without the tail switch being constantly cycled daily), it goes dead and I have to **** around with it to get it to work again. I partially unscrew either end, cycle the switch a bunch of times, and then the light either blinks 3 times at a low level, or just comes on at a low level and then works fine, as originally designed, three modes. What (if anything) can I do to resolve this? I kinda understand that this was some quirky design, and they had a DOD contract at one time, so I understand it's probably been a cluster from inception, but any help would be appreciated.
efbqretgqrg.jpg

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
How old is the cell You are using?
All cells have internal resistance which will increase with age, and act funny even though not dead.

I use De-Oxit Red for cleaning connections/cells and DeOxit Gold for gold plated parts.
Check to make sure there is no oxidation on the inside of the ring that holds the driver in place that makes the negative
connection to the driver.

4Sevens Quark lights used be needed to taken apart and the ring lightly sanded due to aluminum
on Gold connection to alleviate the oxidation that caused improper operation.

I don't own an HDS, so I can't say for sure that is your trouble, just a suggestion to check for.

Take Care
GL

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use No-Oxide Red for cleaning connections/cells and No-Oxide Gold for gold plated parts.
Are you talkin' DeoxIT D-100 (which is red)? If so, that's the best advice in such cases and I wholeheartedly agree!
There are other similar brands / products as well (some with similar names), but that's what works so well for me. It's proven itself in my book. If you're referring to something different, let me know. I'm always up for some good info!

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Well, I'll just shut up and wait for the dust to settle, I've got two learned scholars debating the best contact cleaner. I'll get good info out of this thread! I've read that this particular light circuitry design was a little flaky, but I don't recall how to resolve it (hence the question), nor what causes it.
Anyhow, contacts, clean the contacts. And check the battery. But actually, it's pretty new I recall.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The novatac was a HDS creation... and was also sold as a HDS branded light.

I agree that a good checking/cleaning is in order. There's an internal threaded retaining ring that tends to loosen over time. It can be tightened with some snap ring pliers/etc.

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
I checked the internal retaining rings, they were tighter then heck, wiped everything down good with 91% alcohol on q-tips and reassembled. Battery was at sitting at 3.08 VDC. Of course it works now, but we'll see in a day or two.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked the internal retaining rings, they were tighter then heck, wiped everything down good with 91% alcohol on q-tips and reassembled. Battery was at sitting at 3.08 VDC. Of course it works now, but we'll see in a day or two.
That's how we all learned, one dat at a time. I hope cleaning and tightening thering will solve your problem.
GL
No scolar here just someone who misquoted the product that has worked ;)

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
...Battery was at sitting at 3.08 VDC. Of course it works now, but we'll see in a day or two.
...and we DID see, it was great for about 3-4 days, then began acting up again. Do we think that DeoxIT D-100 is enough better then 91% alcohol to warrant trying that? AND if so, what do you guys prefer, the brush on, or the spray? I'll have to order it, no place local seems to have it in stock. OH, AND LISTEN, ONE MORE THING; THOSE RETAINING RINGS AT THE TAIL AND HEAD, THEY ARE TIGHTER THEN..., WELL, THEY'RE TIGHT. IS IT SUPER CRITICAL THAT I GO ALL OUT AND TAKE THEM APART???

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few touchy lights that corroded at critical switch contact points just sitting around. I had to disassemble, clean, in one instance actually scrape to remove the corrosion on Bare aluminum. After that, I used deoxit. Then, I lubed all of the threads and orings; no problem since. Worst was an old MJP Extreme III, it had corroded under the tail spring.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we think that DeoxIT D-100 is enough better then 91% alcohol to warrant trying that?
Yes. Absolutely, positively, yes. Not opinion, but established, proven fact - and not second-hand, but through my own personal use and testing; including several cases of follow-up treatment and use on the very same piece(s) of equipment that had previously been cleaned w/ Alc (often multiple times), as a proper test. Here are 3 reasons why (I don't have time to re-type this right now):

Iso alc is wonderful, and is great for cleaning a whole world of stuff. I use it all the time. If it's what you have on hand, by all means use it. Do however consider picking up some D100 for electrical contacts / connections going forward. The main issue with cleaning oxidized connections w/ alc is that it leaves nothing behind, and does nothing to inhibit the immediate resumption of the oxidation process as soon as you're finished; and especially with low quality contacts / plating, they will oxidize very quickly. Aside from removing oxidation better, D100 also has ingredient(s) designed to do exactly that (inhibit further oxidation), and in my experience it does it pretty well. This makes it far superior to alc for the purpose. It can reduce your ongoing preventive maintenance / reocurring problems. Lastly, it also contains ingredient(s) which provide some lubricity. This can be of value with anything that involves movement / a wiping action (switches and pots come to mind)

I bought a small plastic bottle w/brush, and a second 'top' w/ a syringe-type 'needle' applicator for reaching difficult spots, and w/o waste. I often apply just a 2-3 drops to a swab to apply it efficiently, and for more reach. If you really need to 'flush' something, or reach further, or treat a larger area, aerosol could be in order. Get the form you think will best serve your typical needs. There's bound to be waste w/ aerosol, so I'd only get that if / when I specifically need it (although given my experience now, I may do just that to have it on hand for certain such situations which I'm sure to encounter). I need use it only very sparingly, and if I had kids, I'd likely be leaving much of that small bottle to them.

The fact that the Alc (probably) helped your light temporarily would suggest the issue does involve oxidation, and if so, doing exactly what you did before, but w/ D100 instead will likely keep you from having to revisit that part for quite some time. That has proven to be the case for me. If the Alc helped w/o disassembly, then I'd try using the D100 the same way w/o further disassembly at first. Disassembly might not be required.

As an aside, I even surprised myself again just a few weeks ago. I was threading 2 new, bare Al parts of a flashlight together for the first time, and they did not get along well at all (understatement). The difficulty scared me, and I feared they might actually gall and seize. With equal difficulty, I unthreaded the parts and was afraid I'd damaged the threads, but with only minor magnification, I saw no evidence of that. That first pass improved nothing though. I saw the little bottle of D100 sitting across the room, and although I considered it a long shot, with nothing to lose I tried a couple of drops on a swab and applied just the slightest film to the mating threads. I used so little I could neither see nor feel its residue on either the parts or my finger after touching the threads. Next pass felt remarkably better, but with only maybe 1 more pass, they became probably the nicest, smoothest threads I have on any flashlight parts, and have remained that way so far. I didn't expect that, but clearly is establishes the 'lubricity' I referred to. Being bare, raw Al, and a conducting junction as well, as a bonus I shouldn't need to fear that oxidizing either.

I don't normally use this expression, but since it fits: 'Just do it'. The phrase I've uttered more than once about this stuff is: "This is FM".

Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Man, I appreciate it! Liquid it is! I hope I don't have to take either of those rings out, I've felt "welded in" tight like that before, I'll not enjoy that...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I appreciate it! Liquid it is! I hope I don't have to take either of those rings out, I've felt "welded in" tight like that before, I'll not enjoy that...
P.S.
I know nothing at all about the light in question, nor am I sure if you were trying to ensure the retaining ring was tight, or were trying to loosen it for cleaning. This may be completely unrelated to your situation, but just in case it matters down the road.....

Keep in mind that such retaining rings, (if threaded and not just an 'inside snap ring', which is probably obvious), may be either standard threading, or reverse-threaded. I know for a fact that Fenix has used both in the past (though they're now standardized), and if you tried to loosen it and got nowhere, it could be the opposite of what you expect. That could bite you. Hopefully you don't have to find out, but if you do try to remove it later for cleaning and it doesn't want to budge, check w/ someone familiar with that light to verify the threading. Just an afterthought, but this has bitten people in the past. Heck, if it's actually 'stuck' (maybe due to oxidation, or not), who knows; D100 might do more than provide lubricity, and might even be able to 'penetrate' somewhat and help loosen it. I sure didn't expect what it did for those threads I mentioned, so who knows what else it might do. It already surprised me once!

Just as an aside, depending on your exact location, the air there could contribute even more to oxidation than, say, here in the desert! That can be true of coastal locations.

Cheers!

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got it, broke that NovaTac down as far as I could, brushed it on, scrubbed it with a cotton swab, put a very light fresh coat again (more of a suggestion of a coat, I guess), and of course, like every time I have cleaned it with alcohol, it worked fine for two days, then... Nothing, click it a bunch, twist the head, twist the tail several times; faint light, or blinking light, then after a minute or two, comes back on. I simply cannot get the retaining rings to budge (yes, I let some juice flow in their first, just to see), so, I guess this is chucked back into the dead/spare light box, for now... Oh well...

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like some sort of driver issue. As far as I remember, they were not made by HDS, so surprises in behavior happen. This lantern has been put into setup mode with 250 quick clicks or it works like a standard spa-defence?

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Would you mind taking a picture of the body and head terminals?
Will do!
It looks like some sort of driver issue. As far as I remember, they were not made by HDS, so surprises in behavior happen. This lantern has been put into setup mode with 250 quick clicks or it works like a standard spa-defence?
It has NOT been 250'ed, works like a standard, from what I've read. Steady press for strobe, 1 press on is bright, 2 (or 3?) clicks down to low, normal, right?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has NOT been 250'ed, works like a standard, from what I've read. Steady press for strobe, 1 press on is bright, 2 (or 3?) clicks down to low, normal, right?

Understood, by default there are 3 levels. In fact, there are also 4 levels, just 2 levels are configured the same. If you manage to unlock with 250 clicks, then there will be 4 levels.

Latest posts