• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnamil.jpg
    thumbnamil.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 80

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
You know, I am beginning to think I am seeing a very marginal improvement in this, almost like the "juice" is creeping in more? That shouldn't be happening, right? It did exhibit the same symptoms within the first couple of days, but I swear, it might be improving. Strange. I'm going to put it down and not use it for a couple days, see what gives...

LRJ88

Enlightened
These are interesting to see. I can't make out a lot of detail but looking at the edges of the barrel they look greyer than i'd have expected. This might be a driver issue, but for pure shits and gigglesit might be worth trying to bypass the barrel with some paper clips so you can try to manipulate the switch without the barrel being part of the equation. Chances are even that there's something in the switch itself being iffy, switches take some abuse as well when being used for a long time.

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
These are interesting to see. I can't make out a lot of detail but looking at the edges of the barrel they look greyer than i'd have expected. This might be a driver issue, but for pure shits and gigglesit might be worth trying to bypass the barrel with some paper clips so you can try to manipulate the switch without the barrel being part of the equation. Chances are even that there's something in the switch itself being iffy, switches take some abuse as well when being used for a long time.
I thought they were a little dark, and spent a little extra time on cleaning them with the Deoxit (prior to taking those pics), while I was cleaning the whole thing. Actually, this light has sat much longer then been used. That's why it's been hauled out of the "box", because I thought a nice, small but handfilling, lower powerd light on my dresser would make night time navigation better, without disturbing the Mrs. It's gotta be trustworthy though...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, I am beginning to think I am seeing a very marginal improvement in this, almost like the "juice" is creeping in more? That shouldn't be happening, right? It did exhibit the same symptoms within the first couple of days, but I swear, it might be improving. Strange. I'm going to put it down and not use it for a couple days, see what gives...
That is absolutely possible EDIT at least w/D100, but likely not so much with alcohol), so don't lose all hope just yet. If you apply just a bit more, &/or to an additional spot or 2, you may get there! EDIT: That retaining ring you may not have been able to remove could be making life more difficult, but you still might not necessarily have to remove it to get to root cause if the D100 creeps further.

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
I thought they were a little dark, and spent a little extra time on cleaning them with the Deoxit (prior to taking those pics), while I was cleaning the whole thing. Actually, this light has sat much longer then been used. That's why it's been hauled out of the "box", because I thought a nice, small but handfilling, lower powerd light on my dresser would make night time navigation better, without disturbing the Mrs. It's gotta be trustworthy though...
In the cases i've had something similar and contact issues i've just lightly polished it with some Autosol metal polish. It's enough to get a shiny surface, and after that it's mostly a case of maintaining that.

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
Well, okay, I give up, no matter what I do, within 2-3 days, it starts becoming grossly intermittent again. So it gets "de-batteried" and tossed in the old light box...

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, okay, I give up, no matter what I do, within 2-3 days, it starts becoming grossly intermittent again. So it gets "de-batteried" and tossed in the old light box...
It's almost certainly a 'connection' issue (oxidation, cold solder joint, etc.), and still likely due to oxidation, but is evidently not in a place you've accessed and cleaned so far (but have perhaps only 'disturbed' with your attempts). You might have to disassemble most of the light to stand a chance at this point. Sorry to hear.

OMCHamlin

Newly Enlightened
It's almost certainly a 'connection' issue (oxidation, cold solder joint, etc.), and still likely due to oxidation, but is evidently not in a place you've accessed and cleaned so far (but have perhaps only 'disturbed' with your attempts). You might have to disassemble most of the light to stand a chance at this point. Sorry to hear.
I agree, but I'm concerned that I'll destroy the light getting it apart. Someone that wants one and has the ability to disassemble and fix should trade me a similar output/feature light for it!

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. I've had well documented fights with novatacs on here over the years. Your problem is the signal spring problem. Stretch that spring cuss it four times say a Hail Mary then call me in the morning. It's the spring. Get a new spring or adjust that one til it works right. Good luck.

Oh yeah. If you can't find a spring use some brass shim stock and make your own signal circuit. It's easier than it sounds. I don't know how to search that well anymore on mobile but look for a thread with user HONDO and THERMAL GUY to show you a few mods if the pictures still exist. Good ol photographic memory is nice sometimes.

LRJ88

Enlightened
I agree, but I'm concerned that I'll destroy the light getting it apart. Someone that wants one and has the ability to disassemble and fix should trade me a similar output/feature light for it!
Do you know of a flashlight with similar features? I'm keen on giving your flashlight a try but sending you one from here would be prohibitively expenside as opposed to purchasing it for you and having it sent within the US. A Malkoff MDC123 or a Zebralight might hit that sweet spot.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The flashlight's been received, i'll be using it for a couple of days now and see when and if the issue pops up again. The tailcap side's been loosened and there's some fresh grease on the boot for water resistance, there's a fresh Surefire CR123 in it, now we just wait and see what happens with it.

LRJ88

Enlightened
It started acting up a bit today, started flashing weird on start, didn't want to turn on etc., after some messing about it started coming on when tapping it from the side, what doesn't show on the images above is that one side of the spring was sticking out a bit more and that's more than likely what managed to short it when the light got tapped. It seems that also happens after a few days, when the light's been moved around enough that the spring starts wedging itself against different spots on the inside and then causing more shorts.

The fix to all this? Snip the end off the spring so it stays in proper shape, give it a light touch with a hone so it isn't chewing up the contact surfaces, and now it isn't acting up at all for the time being, only time will tell.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The retaining rings are NOT reverse thread. There is probably threadlock on them. If they are tight. Good.

LRJ88

Enlightened
The retaining rings are NOT reverse thread. There is probably threadlock on them. If they are tight. Good.
The front seems tight even without me doing more, the back moved about 30 degrees more from the starting point when i put it back but i think that can be attributed more to the boot getting itself a nice grease rub.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The front seems tight even without me doing more, the back moved about 30 degrees more from the starting point when i put it back but i think that can be attributed more to the boot getting itself a nice grease rub.
One question here, and please keep in mind that I know zero about the construction of this specific light, so it might not be relevent in this case:

A retaining ring may be very 'tight', but does that preclude the possibility that it could be concealing oxidation/corrosion under/beyond it which might go unnoticed/untreated if the ring is not removed?

turbodog

Flashaholic
One question here, and please keep in mind that I know zero about the construction of this specific light, so it might not be relevent in this case:

A retaining ring may be very 'tight', but does that preclude the possibility that it could be concealing oxidation/corrosion under/beyond it which might go unnoticed/untreated if the ring is not removed?

The light should be pretty ok from anodizing/etc during the build.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light should be pretty ok from anodizing/etc during the build.
I understand your point, but you used 2 'qualifiers' in that sentence. My point is that I don't know what's beyond that ring until I see it, so those qualifiers would not prevent me from trying to remove it for verification. That's ALL I'm saying.

LRJ88

Enlightened

There's always a risk, for all i knew before taking it apart it might've had any kind of leak inside which would have gone unnoticed otherwise. The only real way to know is to either measure for resistance/continuity or simply taking it apart. I figured it was due for some lube regardless and it was a good step in troubleshooting it.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side Note.
I do not own one, but it may or may not be possible to not fully tighten the tailcap to prevent these issues.
I have experienced this in the past with other lights.
GL