any gamers ?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Retro...yeah. Atari 2600 and 'Combat'. Coin-op games when they were cool, like Ataris' vector games like Tempest and Space Dual.

Or, building my own dungeons in the original 'Doom' on my 486 (good old .WAD files), and playing a deathmatch when I had secret weapon caches. I did really rad things like build pits on the floor, and assign a sky texture to them, and then watching opponents walk around them because they were afraid they'd fall through. Or, build an empty room where the walls were miles away in the X-Z plane so you had no point of reference and no way to get out. Oh wait, that would crash on a 386 or 486-SX because there wasnt' a math processor :)

On the original Halo with the Xbox we made two really fun custom games.; 'Pimps' and 'HeartAttack'. With 'Pimps' everybody had bright yellow or orange team colors, no shields, and the starting weapon was the sniper. Pick a big open daylight map, and you were afraid to move, which was the point. With 'HeartAttack' every started invisible with no shields and the rocket launcher. Basically you crouched around, and stayed behind things while squinting for the cloak distortion. Both games were nerve wracking and required more strategy and cunning than running around with newb cannons.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go in waves with my PS3 - maybe 4 months of not playing at all then I'll play everyday for a few weeks. Repeat cylcle. Its a stress reliever for me.

I got the MGS4 PS3 that has backwards compatibility with PS1 and PSII so I like to buy all the old greats for dirt cheap and have fun.

For the most part, I really just like mindless shooters and action games - I dont like to think when I play - like I said, its more of a stress reliever. Its like hitting the heavy bag - no thinking, just pounding :)

I never play online - too much thinking playing against another human.

Rockband and GH is always fun when people are over.

Enjoyed the new Batman a lot and look forward to picking up the new Uncharted and COD.

:poof:

Last edited:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Not as big a gamer now days but I am currently having fun playing ..er testing the MAG Beta on PS3 since August. Basically a first-person shooter that can have 32v32, 64vs64, or the fun 128vs128 mode with three factions Valor, Raven and S.V.E.R. There is minimal lag if any as they use dedicated servers versus peer to peer. This is supposed to be a team/objective based sort of game yet whenever a new group of players come on (like with the recent GameStop beta codes group starting last monday) they tend to treat it as CoD4 and not squad team based for a while and is frustrating to get some objectives done as a result.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/mag/preview_6231243.html

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Left 4 Dead- sooo much fun on the PC. Never run out of custom maps and campaigns.

Multi-player is amazing. Requires a lot of communication and teamwork.
Just watch out for those boomers :barf:

USACelt

Newly Enlightened
Whats taking up my time online right now is Champions Online.
buttrock.gif
Yes, I also like comics and this game rocks. Been through the gamit of on line games, WoW, Vanguard, Age of Conan, EQ2, ect, ect. My girlfriend and I are always looking for the latest, greatest, Champions has come closest. IMO

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm mostly playing XBOX 360 on XBL. COD4, COD5, GOW2, Halo 3. Mostly COD5 and GOW2 lately. Gamer tag WadeNG.

bstrickler

Enlightened
Long time gamer here. Started way back when monochrome monitors and 486 "133 Mhz" CPUs were the bomb.. good ole' days of DOS-based games :devil:

Ahh, yess.. I still have an Apple II (original owner of it, as well). I'm not crazy, not at all :whistle:

I have Warcraft: Orcs and Humans for the oldschool PC. Original disk, original owner :thumbsup: I wonder how much it's worth now... 15 year old game, still in awesome condition (just cant play it on my 64-bit laptop, cuz its incompatible, lol. GRRR!!!). Hey, I can still play it on my desktop, though (and no, I'm not using a PC133, either. Though.... I might have one, still)

Starcraft, Diablo II, Lineage II, RF Online, and World of Warcraft were some of my favorite games. I've stopped playing after finishing college and starting a full time job, however I have a folder full of WoW screenshots that give me nostalgia and threaten to suck me back in whenever I look at them :eek:

I still play Starcraft, on East and West. GT = SinfulPain
I used to play D2, but I got too addicted (had several decked out 99's)

Blizz was the best, but I hate the turn they're making (Starcraft universe and Diablo universe are getting too damn cartoony for my taste)

I play COD4 now, and manage a clan on it. Taking a short LOA for health reasons, though.

I refuse to get Modern Warfare 2, though, if they follow through with their current plans (eliminating dedicated/modded servers, and doing matchmaking, instead. Where's the fun in that?!). If IW follows through, I'm boycotting them, other than COD4, since that's already in my possession.

~Brian

tozi

Newly Enlightened
I play EVE and runescape at times but am wiating for the new startrek mmo and the new starwars "the old republic' should be great:cool:

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Ahh, yess.. I still have an Apple II (original owner of it, as well). I'm not crazy, not at all :whistle:
One of my most favourite game for the Apple IIe was Wings Of Fury. I have the DOS version somewhere which was not quite the same on DosBox on Linux and the early Windows version which was hard. I was quite good with Wings of Fury on Apple IIe and preferred the rockets over the bombs. I admit I did cheat a bit with a certain trick where if I recall you held down or up and the key you select starting from the bombs so that if you did it right, instead of taking 30 bombs you could have 30 rockets or even 30 torpedoes instead of only one. It may take a few attempts to get it going up and down to rearm.

Wings of Fury on the Apple II http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuWGCzFASec
http://www.mobygames.com/game/wings-of-fury

I also had a 486 DX 33MHz with a number of Dos games including great games like Wing Commander 2.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a gamer. Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS2, GC, Wii for consoles.
Did some RTS back in the day. Also when I was younger I found much enjoyment in running around and shooting people in FPS online gaming. I eventually grew up. Played Star Wars Galaxies for a year after launch :angry: & still log into Guildwars from time to time. I routinely enjoy schooling friends in the ways of pwnage on my Wii.

Just waiting for some of the newer stuff to arrive:

Star Trek Online :D :D :D :D :D

If I wasn't a productive member of society I'd also play SWTOR when it comes out but I doubt I'll have time for both of these MMOs. I'm also considering Starcraft II. I do agree about disliking the cartoonish crud though. And I'll likely do some Guildwars 2 when it comes out as well.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Those of you who are old school console folk should be aware that there are console emulators for the PC, and copies of the ROMs/games, floating around the interweb. In some instances, they're bundled together in a .zip; all the necessary emulator software and pretty much every game that ever came out for that console (two examples I have are the Atari 2600 emulator plus 846 games, the Nintendo NES emulator with 960 games..) Even without a decent joystick or gamepad, it brings back a lot of great memories..

gorn

Enlightened
I have PC emulators for all the ancient consoles i've had over the years. I like Battlefield 1942 with the desert combat mod. My Son got me started on World of Warcraft as a way to keep in touch since he is stationed 4k miles away (when he is not off fighting in one war zone or another). It has been a nice way to spend time together. We play on the stormreaver server and have several other familiy members from around the country that play there too.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call of Duty :rock:

I think the new one is coming out in November of 09, my thumbs already hurt
See you in the field.... I got Fallout 3 GOTY lat week to "get-me-by" until next week. That Tesla cannon is the shiznit...

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of games do yall play ? My first non-kid games were Avalon Hill war games and Dungeons & Dragons. Recently I've gotten into online games, MMOs to be specific.

Oh yeah... online games rules!

Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead (all through Steam) every night!

:grin2:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left for Dead is my favorite.
Can't wait for the new release in a few weeks :devil: