Any news about Fenix TK40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TK40 (Fenix): Anyone handle it at Shot or otherwise?

Interesting that Fenix soon will offer an 8AA flashlight some few months after I made my own Fenix 8AA:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213659
Clearly Fenix has copied your ingenious design. :D No question about it.

But the flashlight at the picture above isn't the same as the model of the picture in this link:
http://www.aditnow.co.uk/supersize/Personal-Album-2-Image-131/

Regards, Patric
They are both the same picture one is just a cropped image. I'm not too sure that is the TK40 circled in the packet, its hard to tell but its probably the TK10/11.

I can't wait for the TK40 specs to come out.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unique,

No problem, there are chargers who can charge 8AA cells at the same time. I use two chargers of 4 cells...

And yes; one set of backups will be 16 batteries, which isn't cheap. But you then have batteries for several years...

Regards, Patric

Marduke

Flashaholic

8XAA's? Thats going to be a pain in the arse to charge, especially if you have a charger that can only charge two AA's at a time!!
Not to mention expensive to buy 8X rechargeable AA's!!!!
Its also going to be expensive if you want to have backup batteries, 16 batteries total! :|

Starting to realise why this hobby is so expensive.

Most people here have at least one 4-bay charger, if not several (see above). 8xNiMH is only ~$20, compared to ~$36+ for 3x18650.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like to read different opinions on the TK40! :D

For some it is the reinvention of the LED-flashlight, for others it's just the reinvention of big, heavy and hungry.

I'm not sure yet, what to think about it, I need beamshots and technical facts about the light. Until now, we only know that its size is more or less the one of a 2D-Mag and that it eats 8AA in less than 2 hours to power out 630 (730?) lumen. So, if I compare it to my modded 2D-Mag, it triples the output.

Some folks probably think that 630 lumen is three times brighter than 200 lumen, others only dream to own a powermonster.

My personal opinion ist, that multidice emitters aren't high edge technology. It's a temporary and power-consuming way of getting more output. For the one who needs such high output it may be a good solution, rechargeables make it in fact quite "guilt-free". I just switched on the EagleTac T10C2 and the M20 Warrior asking myself if I really must have more power, regardless of the cons. The answer is no by now, I preffer to wait for a new generation of emitters, that will double and triple the actual output sooner or later and keep the runtimes at a normal level.

If I had a TK40 with me on tour, I probably would use it on lower modes all the time and only switch to maximum output to impress myself and other people. Well, I actually get the same without the impressing part (really?) with my already huge collection of different lights.

Though, I'm looking forward to the first reviews of the TK40! :whistle:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened

personally, 8-cell of any size is too many. :sick2:

Stromberg

Enlightened

personally, 8-cell of any size is too many. :sick2:

+1. Why not use 2-3 C's or D's? In fact - when I first read this - I thought that its just a pre-production test model.. IMO that's kind of going backwards in terms of usability.:shakehead

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is what it is. Other batt options will be coming down the pike soon...already are. So everyone will have choices to thier liking.

I like the look and feel of a fatter, shorter light more than a long skinny one.

My hope is that it has 4 light levels...a true low, like the Nightcore D10, and a nice spead between the remaining 3 level...say, 50...200...full power. No blinky stuff. Great regulation for a long run time on the lower levels. This is what I expect from Fenix...a well rounded light.

HKJ

Flashaholic

+1. Why not use 2-3 C's or D's? In fact - when I first read this - I thought that its just a pre-production test model.. IMO that's kind of going backwards in terms of usability.:shakehead

Probably because they are so common, try finding C or D NiMH (With more capacity than AA) and a charger. They exists, but you have to look around.

8 AA is many batteries, I know from my camera where I also use 8 AA for some shooting and up to 16 AA for my 4 flashes.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm just wondering how throwy is it. Hope it has a tight hotspot.

clg0159

Enlightened

I am interested to see some reviews:popcorn: I just hope they use something other than WC tint!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope they offer in:
3600K warm-white

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in for a warm one, of course!

8 AA batteries? Not easy to change on the go, but I'll give it a try.

Kinda reminds me of the old portable CB radios that took 8 AA's (9 if Ni-Cads)

How exciting! :party:

Marduke

Flashaholic

For those who are wondering how to carry 8 AA cells easily, an Excedrin bottle (either name brand or generic) will snuggly hold 8 AA cells, and it is also water resistant.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks cool, but I wonder if 3 x 18650 could work well too. Arranged for a fatter not longer grip. I just love Li-Ions I guess.

hburner

Enlightened

can't afford it now, but damn sure want it!:mecry:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

For those who are wondering how to carry 8 AA cells easily, an Excedrin bottle (either name brand or generic) will snuggly hold 8 AA cells, and it is also water resistant.

Now that's a great tip. I didn't know that.

Thanks Marduke,

Bill

rumack

Enlightened

Sounds like a very interesting light. If it has multiple levels, it will probably make its way to my wish list when I find new employment. I'm glad it works with standard size rechargeables and not a proprietary battery pack. I hate proprietary batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.