Any news about Fenix TK40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TK40 (Fenix): Anyone handle it at Shot or otherwise?

fenix should make this into a rechargeable light, with a custom battery pack of li-ion or nimh complete with charging station...
+1

That's what I'd offer if I were a manufacturer... A complete Li-Ion setup with AC/DC cradle and everything. NiMH is a major step back in battery evolution.

oregon

Enlightened

It sure would be nice to have an insider at Fenix posting to this forum.

Anyone, with appropriate language skills, willing to make an inquiry along those lines?

Reflector looks SMO per youtube. The beamshot into the demonstrator's hand showed the quad die.

oregon

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely looks smooth. I think that is a big mistake. Maybe they will offer both optioons in the final light.

Another big mistake...strobe...come on with that already! At least make it harder to access!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! I just wanted a couple of modes, they went hog-wild? I need to watch the video again.

I like the AA option, but I need a 18650 option as to make it a really nice. It does look like a real monster in the video, but really good for an emergency light, very bright, or very long run time.

I want to see a review ASAP.

ponger

Newly Enlightened

I went to the Shot Show and walked my legs off. Finally made it to the Fenix booth and saw the TK40.

I'm a noob about flashlights having only gotten an L2D a couple of months ago as my commuter light on the bike. But having drank of the kool aid, I'm starting to do a lot of reading on this forum.

My purpose for stopping at the Fenix booth was to look for more headlight power for the bike. So when the guy at the booth handed me the TK40 my first thought was "Day-um this thing's a brick". Ya see, that is the weight weeny in me, thinking having to peddle that much more weight around. But if you were to use it for night sailing to spot bouys, etc. then the weight wouldn't be that big of a deal. After turning on the light, you should have seen the smile on my face. The guy in the booth knew I was hooked.

It's fairly common for company's at the Shot Show to sell their wares on the last afternoon of the show so they don't have to cart them back (except for arms and munitions :mecry:). But Fenix wasn't gonna let me walk out with the TK40. :sigh:

The lens sticks right out there and I wondered how much of a banging it would take before breaking. But then we're supposed to be careful of these light sabers right?

Nice knurling on the tube. Asked how many cells and was told eight AA's.

I'd probably go for something a little smaller for the bike or to take on a walk, but if I wanted an around the house or boat torch, this would rank as a first choice.

As I spend more time looking around the forum and learning the in's and out's of this business, I'll be able to give a more substantive review, but quite frankly I was in awe.:faint:

davidt

Enlightened

:welcome: ponger. Finally someone who actually handled the tk40. How was the user interface? How were the modes set up?

ponger

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the welcome Davidt.

I only did an on/off and didn't think to go through a full check of the interface. That light sure was bright. I was playing with so much gear, and it was so late in the show that my recollection of everything was becoming a blur.

wishywashy7

Enlightened

Does anyone have a rough sketch? I can't visualize the scale from the photo.:shrug: A napkin drawing would do :D

L.E.D.

Enlightened

It looks like the donut / philips screw pattern is only at close distance, because when he strobes the beam on the far upper wall, the beam looks pretty nice. SMO is not a mistake IMO, why would you care about a donut at 1-2 feet?? After all, any reflector produces a donut at that distance lol.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can say that again.

Yes, I told my swedish "flashoholic neighbour" that: above all I want it, because I have the original...
Maybe not a perfect translation but that is the meaning of the sentence.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

The vast majority do ;). I only have 1 light with no donut at a close distance- my raw al.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there going to be a Warranty against battery leakage and corrosion? 8xAAs can make a real mess.

taiji

Enlightened

I personally think that having a rear clicky is not very well thought out on a light that is that thick around.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pretty sure that would have to be taken up with the batt company.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Urg, too many modes. Max when tightened, and at most 3 when loosened is enough.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

1811009.jpg
Am I the only person who thinks that looks way to small to hold 8AA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.