Any Scotch Whisky drinkers out there?

KingSmono

Enlightened
I'm not a big drinker but Highland Park is one of my favourites. It's distilled in Orkney. Even the basic 12 year old whisky is very good.
Thanks for the link monkeyboy... appreciate it!

Any Scotch whisky is better than the stuff Americans try to pass of as Whisky. :) (Ducks and runs)
Norm
Haha, no worries here. It's much like our beer... how's the joke go? What's "American Beer have in common with sex on a boat?" ......... If you haven't heard it, I'll let you google the answer. :)

danedel

Newly Enlightened
Wish I could get some of anything liberating. Here in Iraq the best I can do is the occasional whisky in a beer can, five kings or something. It has that distinct taste of cheap fruity whisky.

So feel free to send me anything ;-)

tygger

Enlightened
Haha! On the Glenfiddich tour, our guide brought up whether or not water should be added to their Scotch. She said that a few drops of high-quality room-temperature water "opens" up the flavors and scents of the Scotch, and doesn't do it any harm! But she said that ice does the exact opposite... it closes up the Scotch.

Thats actually not true. And if your pallet is that sensitive you probably won't want to drink alcohol of any sort, especially not high proof liquor. Its really boils down to personal preference. Yes, good (mellowed) scotch doesn't need anything. But most people drink blends or scotch thats less than 12 years old. With most stuff less than 10-12 years and you're better off packing the tumbler. Does it dilute the taste? Yes. Will you notice? Unless you're a seasoned (not alcoholic mind you) scotch drinker you won't be able to tell. Don't forget, unmellowed scotch isn't cogniac or sherry, drinking it straight can hammer your taste buds so you don't taste anything. And actually, adding a couple of cubes is worse than packing it full and keeping the scotch at that temperature. With only two cubes, the water melts fast and you've got blah. Again, its all about personal preference. Mellowed scotch, add nothing or maybe one cube. Anything premature, pack it and don't let the ice melt. And as always, YMMV. Bottoms up!

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
Well, I just bought my first "fine" bottle of Scotch. I'm going camping this weekend for my 25th Birthday. I have been thinking more and more that the 25th is kind of a milestone, and I want a really nice Scotch to celebrate it with... one that would make it very memorable! So I picked up an 18 year old bottle of Macallan. :D I can't wait to have a dram, but I'll have to wait until the 12th.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
SMS! Well, don't know much about them really, but in the past 8/9/10 months this is what I've got on my shelf* (in no particular order or preference):

36 YO Duncan Taylor Collection Bunnahabhain

30 YO Laphroaig

25 YO Bowmore

25 YO Highland Park

24 YO Scott's Selection Knockando

21 YO Balvenie Portwood

21 YO Auchentoshan

16 YO Lagavulin

15 YO Signatory Vintage Rosebank

15 YO Springbank Campbeltown

15 YO Laphroaig

14 YO Clynelish

That's all for now. More to come. . ."A slow fire makes sweet malt." :wave:

* Not including an assortment of Cognacs. :duh2:

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
:nana: Whiskey with an "e" is the stuff that comes from cats isn't it? :nana:

Nah, with the 'e' in it is the stuff that you put in your cars windscreen washer...

Glenlivet 15 year old french oak reserve or their 18 and 21 year old single malts are always on rotation. I go through about a bottle a month or so. I either have them on the rocks or mixed 1:1 with coke.

that better be the white lines coke, as mixing a single malt with that brown bubbly stuff and/or ice should be punished in a really nasty way :nana:

Anyway, another couple of nice single malts:

The Balvenie Portwood, a bit on the sweet side so very suitable for beginners

Auchentoshen (or something like that), THE single malt for blended Whisky drinkers, it's ok, but nowhere near most other single malts mentioned in this topic.

The Glenlivet 18 y/o, Very nice

Caol Ila 12 y/o, a bit of an aquired taste, but this is one of my favorites, I can't wait to get my mitts on some of the older versions like the 18 or 23 y/o.

Last edited:

HighLight

Enlightened
I got a cup of Islay scotch from my director at work to use in smoking an atlantic salmon. Not being a scotch drinker I sipped on some and when I saw my director again I said it tasted like "bogwater" (that being the term we use around my neck of the woods for something that doesn't taste that great). He quickly said its suppose to taste that way because its filtered through the bogs on the island of Islay and thats its a very expensive single malt scotch. I quess I put my foot in my mouth again! He liked my smoked salmon though.

gjg

Enlightened
Dude: No need to go online to get the good stuff - Club Liquor in Menasha has one of the best selections around (probably 75 single malts), and good prices. Ya want a 30 YO The MacCallan? They have it. You may have to sell an organ to afford it, though... But if you just want to try some decent scotch, I have a little 21 YO Balvenie Portwood left, along wih some nice 1991 Signatory Vintage Rosebank, and some 16 YO Isle of Jura (not bad, but not in the same league as the other two). Just give me a call, I'm always up for a run to Club (or Flanagans in Appleton), could use another bottle or maybe a good Irish... (no peat - less complex than Scotch, but still can be good whisky)
gg :cool:

Seriously I'd like to check out some good whiskey too. Is there anywhere to get the stuff online?

dulridge

Enlightened
Caol Ila 12 y/o, a bit of an aquired taste, but this is one of my favorites, I can't wait to get my mitts on some of the older versions like the 18 or 23 y/o.

If you like that, you owe it to yourself to try Port Ellen. However, the price does go against it - the distillery was demolished in the 80's.

Here it gets as "cheap" as about $300 a bottle, usually $400 and up. Way up. IMO it is worth it and I may add that this is my whisky expenditure for a LOT longer than the bottle will last.

The new Caol Ila seems different to the stuff before the distillery closed in the 80's (It reopened again fairly quickly). I like both and in fact think I prefer the new stuff. Would need to find a horribly expensive old bottle to test this out though.

It is still hard to beat Ardbeg though - even the usual stuff is very nice.

Really old Ardbeg is a very acquired taste but is wonderful stuff.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
If you like that, you owe it to yourself to try Port Ellen. However, the price does go against it - the distillery was demolished in the 80's.

Tried it and liked it... There was a pub down the street from me before I moved, they had a bottle of the stuff... they serve thimbles, just for tasting. The price here is insane though, thats what wit holds me from reccomending it.

Something completely different: I had the pleasure to taste some Cognac a while ago... Remy Martin - Louis XIII which retails here at about 1200 euro a bottle. Nice, but I prefer my single malts :)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
This thread is depressing me. Since I got my leg wound last year in May, I've basically been on some sort of narcotic pain killer every day. Needless to say, Scotch and narcotics do NOT mix. And I have some really nice stuff sitting in the cabinet

KingSmono

Enlightened
This thread is depressing me. Since I got my leg wound last year in May, I've basically been on some sort of narcotic pain killer every day. Needless to say, Scotch and narcotics do NOT mix. And I have some really nice stuff sitting in the cabinet

Bummer man, sorry to hear it. If you'd like to remove the temptation from your house, I'll PM you my address....... ;) JK, but hopefully you'll be off the pain killers soon enough to enjoy your collection!

KingSmono

Enlightened
that better be the white lines coke, as mixing a single malt with that brown bubbly stuff and/or ice should be punished in a really nasty way :nana:

Anyway, another couple of nice single malts:

The Balvenie Portwood, a bit on the sweet side so very suitable for beginners

Hey Coop, what's up man?! I wish I was into Scotch when I came over last year. I'da brought a bottle and we could've had a few drams before/after dinner! But that beer was still amazing... (Palm special or something rather... the Belgium beer...) Sadly, I've not been able to find it over here in the States. :(

LOL at the "coke"! I've always heard that ice closes up flavors of the scotch, while plain water opens it up. Well I was reading the Macallan website before opening my bottle of 18 year old Macallan, and I stumbled upon these "serving suggestions." The 3rd suggestion is "with ice" for a more "intense experience of flavors." But I took mine with a splash of water, and it was amazing. I only had two drams, and then put the bottle away for another day. I can't wait until that day... :D

Next I want to pick up the 21 year old Balvenie Portwood!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick up a copy of Malt Advocate or try to find some back issues. Lots of good information.

As to water and/or ice -- in my experience adding a tiny bit of water can open up flavors and some tasters use a lot of water (up to 50%) to discern what complex flavors are present. That is for tasting purposes as opposed to enjoying a wee dram. Ice tends to numb the taste buds and prevents the complex flavors from being enjoyed. Ice in a single malt is generally a no-no.

Why no ice? Ice cold beer can be refreshing but has nowhere near the flavors of a good cold beer and indeed some beers are supposed to be served between 40 - 50 degrees F. Scotch is better for the senses if served in a "nosing glass" which is sort of like a miniature snifter -- it concentrates the aromas, while the glass is being held the warmth of the hand releases more aromas, and as good as it is to drink, the aromas of scotch single malts are almost as much a pleasure to inhale, and anosing glass lets the true appearance of the single malts to be enjoyed. Hey, why not please all the senses, right? It's also too expensive to swill, so take your time and enjoy it in many different ways.

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Just saw this story.

Ochone! Japanese whisky is voted the best in world

Like English wine, it has suffered from the taint of inauthenticity and has been the butt of condescending jokes. Now Japanese whisky has finally scotched all criticism by being voted the best in the world, ahead of its Highland rivals.

Yoichi 20 years old, distilled on the shores of the Sea of Japan, has become the first variety produced outside Scotland to win the coveted single malt award in an international competition run by Whisky Magazine, the main industry publication.

The whisky, distilled near the city of Sapporo on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, beat dozens of other varieties, including last year's winner, Talisker 18 years old, produced on the Isle of Skye.

Suntory Hibiki, the brand advertised by the washed-up actor played by Bill Murray in the film Lost in Translation, scooped the award for the world's best blended whisky. The historic double for Japanese whiskies has provoked consternation in Scotland, where whisky is as integral to a certain strand of national identity as bagpipes, haggis and the kilt.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article3822531.ece

Has anyone tried Yoichi?