Any Scotch Whisky drinkers out there?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Has anyone tried Yoichi?
It's time for this thread to come out of hibernation!

I not only tried Yoichi, but everything from an unavailable bottling and my favorite, 10 year, on up to 12, 15 and 20 year. Really like this stuff, but I'll talk more about it in a thread I plan to start soon.

My first taste of Ardbeg 10 and I was hooked, and I think it may be my overall favorite 'If there was only one brand on earth' whisky of choice. The other favorites I have made recently, and in no particular order are the Ardbeg Uigeadail, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig Quarter Cask.

Fears of liking ever pricier and older bottles of scotch have been mostly laid to rest as I seem to like bottlings in the 10-12 year range for the most part, although a taste of some 25 year old Port Ellen has me wanting more, particularly for the everlasting fade that was so good that I didn't want to drink anything else for the next 20 minutes while it lingered deliciously.

Evidently I like the smoky ones and while it took a week or so after buying my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 to get used to and finally like it, it only took one smell for me to fall in love with Ardbeg 10, one taste to swoon, and the afterglow had me for good. Lagavulin 16 is their best and belongs in every liquor cabinet in the world - or at least at the houses I'm welcome in!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glenmorangie is one of my favorites and at xmas was fortunate to be gifted a couple of bottles together with a really good quality glass.I tried Chivas Regal just before xmas as it was on offer at the local Asda and must admit that will be the one I buy myself next time,i really enjoyed.

[h=2]
Chivas12.png
[/h]Chivas is a blend of many different malt and grain Scotch whiskies, matured for at least 12 years. This rich, smooth blend it balances style with substance and tradition with a modern twist.

Close[h=2]Tasting notes[/h]ColourRadiant, warm amber.
[h=3]Nose[/h]An aromatic infusion of wild herbs, heather, honey and orchard fruits.
[h=3]Taste[/h]Rich and fruity, Chivas bursts with the smooth taste of ripe, honeyed apples, and notes of vanilla, hazelnut and butterscotch.
[h=3]Finish[/h]Enjoy the generous, lingering finish.

Hesh68

Newly Enlightened
I am not that fond of blends, I have a very nice collection of 12 plus year old scotch's that I started buying in '95. At this time of the year the better scotch's come down in price. I am partial to Glenfiddich 12, 15 & 18 year olds as well as Glenlivet, Glenmorrangie and Langvulin. In fact there are only a couple of names mentioned that I wasnt aware of. Scotch is meant to be consumed with a small amount of spring water, no ice for me, well thats what the distillerys all say on the tours I took.

makapuu

Enlightened
Wow, you guys make me feel like a novice. I'm just a Crown Royal drinker.
Most of the stuff mentioned I haven't even heard of.
I guess I need to look up what was listed and try them out. :naughty:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It never fails to amaze me, the wide range of preferences we all have. I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 12 a few days ago and have decided to give it to one of my friends who mentioned tonight, that it was one of his absolute favorites. No sense in my forcing myself to drink it when they can really enjoy it.

Can't wait to get my hands on a bottle of good old Ardbeg 10.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say I am about 80% Scottish, with some German and a little Irish mixed in, but ironically I could never stand the flavor of any Scotch. To be honest, I did quit drinking about 12-14 years ago when I was about 30, not because I was an alcoholic or anything, but because I just grew tired of it. From age 17-30 I'd go out looking for a party or to a bar every Friday and Saturday night, and of course I'd drink. But then it got to the point that alcohol just wasnt making me feel good anymore, it just made me burnt out and gave me a headache.

But during my drinking days, I went through the premium import beer and microbrewered beer phase starting in 1985 about 8 years before there were any microbreweries around the region, back when 99% of the liquor stores didnt even carry any microbrews or even a decent selection of imports. This was when some people would give you a funny look for drinking beer that wasnt mass produced and well known! Then I went through a French/Italian/Australian/regional wine phase, while still in the premium beer phase. I did drink 'some' whiskey and liquors, but usually mixed as in a gin/tonic or tequila in a margarita, but I could never 'develop' a taste for Scotch. I did occasionally drink shots and chase them with something. I liked Yukon Jack and Southern Comfort, but it became to sweet. I liked Gran Marnier and certain brandies. Sometimes a Jack D and coke was Ok, but when it came to hard alcohol it was mostly mixed drinks made with gin, tequila or vodka.

But then I quit

***Oh yeah, anyone ever try a Rob Roy? I bought one at an older restaurant once just out of curiosity, as its an old-time drink, and it was the worst tasting drink I've ever had!:eek: Its a mixed drink, but its very strong because its just a mixtures of like 3 different hard liquors with nothing to dilute it.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Took me a week to adjust to my first bottle of Laphroaig 10, but once I did I was hooked. Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 last month and had two of my friends hooked on it at the first tasting.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
A couple of favorite single malts from Scotland in the middle, a very expensive, and already sold out 35 year Japanese blend and a couple bottles of Bowmore 18 on the right.
DSCF9352_zpsa27f43b3.jpg

Last edited:

0volts

Newly Enlightened
I too am relatively new to the Scotch world, so far Laphroaig 10 is by far my favorite. Ardbeg is also excellent as is Glenmorangie. The Islay malts tend to be my favorites, but for some reason Bowmore has a certain "funk" that I cant get used to. For anyone who hasn't tried Laphroaig, I strongly encourage you to do so, its reasonably priced (around $45 in my area) and there is nothing else out there quite like it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Since I like Laphroaig 10 and Ardbeg as well I think I'll be needing to give Glenmorangie a try.

Bowmore for me, at least the 18, is a little softer and more complex than I like, and I've only tried a few single malts older than 10 years
that I've liked. Particularly Lagavulin 16 and Port Ellen 25.

One of my friends liked the Bowmore 18, but hated my Ardbeg 10, so the two tastes may be incompatible.

Stream

Enlightened
I'm not much of a drinker, but I find The Talisman to be pretty smooth.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Been mostly drinking Ardbeg 10 and Corryvreckan lately, along with Yamazaki 12.

How about some pics? I'll get some up here as soon as I get them together.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been sipping on a bottle of Double Wood 12yr old by The Balvenie. It's really smooth with a hint of smoke. I'm not a fan of the super smokey and loaded with peat ones such as Langvulin, it's possible that my 40yr old palette has not matured enough to appreciate it.

I also have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black that i finally got my mother in-law to give up after sitting in a cabinet for 25 years.

Brown liquor is a tool of the devil, that's why I only drink vodka, tequila, rum, wine, or beer. Oh, and an occasional Mikes Hard Lemonade. I don't know what the heck that stuffs made from.......and Kahlua, in my coffee or with milk on the rocks. Oops, forgot Cointreau. I like it with pretty much everything.

~ Chance :D

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've been sipping on a bottle of Double Wood 12yr old by The Balvenie. It's really smooth with a hint of smoke. I'm not a fan of the super smokey and loaded with peat ones such as Langvulin, it's possible that my 40yr old palette has not matured enough to appreciate it.

I also have a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black that i finally got my mother in-law to give up after sitting in a cabinet for 25 years.
Lagavulin 12 and 16 are both on my short list of favorites, but so is the DoubleWood.

If you like Johnnie Walker you may be want to find a bottle of the Green Label and the Double Black.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might as well chime in too.
I just finished a bottle of Glenlivet 18 year old. That was a great bottle.
Another , reasonably priced one , I really enjoy is Glenmorangie - 12 Year Old Quinta Ruban Port Cask Finish.

My daughters B/R bought me a bottle of Ardbeg - Uigeadail for my birthday this year. Very smooth and peaty.

For me, I prefer it neat. No Ice, No water.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My daughters B/R bought me a bottle of Ardbeg - Uigeadail for my birthday this year. Very smooth and peaty.

For me, I prefer it neat. No Ice, No water.
If you like the Uigeadail, you'll probably flip over the Corryvreckan. I don't even replace my Uigeadail anymore, although it still tastes fine. The Corryvreckan gives me all of what I enjoy about Uigeadail in spades.