Any TW4 fans anymore?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW... I see why you guys love the KL4 head so much! Mine came in today. I immediately put it on an E1e body, popped in a CR123 primary, and my first genuine TW4 was born. :party: I wasn't wowed by the output, but really love the soft floody beam.

"BUT WAIT, there's more..." I swapped out the primary for an RCR123 rechargeable and WOW, did that wake the head up! In my ceiling bounce test, I recorded an EV increase of 1.3 vs. the primary; the rechargeable easily more than doubling the light output of the head!

As measured by a ceiling bounce test, the light output of the KL4 with RCR123 is equivalent to my:

Romisen RC-N3 (Cree Q5 w/RCR123)
LF3XT on max (RCR123)
SF E1B on high (CR123)

Of course the output is distributed quite widely, making the range/throw of the KL4 far short of those lights, but the output, breadth, and beauty of the beam is definitely there in spades for close range and general indoor use. Perhaps all it needs now is a two-stage tailcap to make it more versatile.

What a wonderful indoor/close range light this is! I absolutely love the soft center and wide flood of this head. Now that I've used the KL4 with the rechargeable, I'm not so motivated to drop nearly $200 more to upgrade it... I think I'll use it as is for a while to make sure it isn't just wonderful as it is. :twothumbs (And yes, it does heat up quickly!) :rolleyes:

Now, when I shoehorn my Malkoff P7 lamp onto the E1e with the E2C adaptor and pop in an IMR16340... that should be fun! The E2C will arrive any day! :party: :party:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a fan..:grin2:

002-32.jpg

003-32.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
drool...

I have no idea when will AaronM receive the KL4-BK I had to mod the MC-E in...its been three weeks without a sound. I really can't blame him since he's out at sea:whistle:

but to topic, not anymore...KEW now has my KL4 head so...cheers:wave:

Jackal112203

Newly Enlightened
Hey DaFAB, what's that midget one at the end? more pics please...:D

Oh, and I mean this in the best of ways..... you suck!:thumbsup:

I need more black KL4's now

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice collectioin Dafab! :popcorn:

I need help ID-ing the forth one from the left. I'm trying to figure out who's head mod that is and what reflector is in it.

Although I'm a TW4 fan I only got into them about a year ago. I have two of them now, one is on a VG-1 body. To lazy to post pics tonight though...lol.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jackal112203,
It is a KL4 with an Arc-E-series adaptor and CR2 twisty tail. Such a sexy little beasty!

Patriot36,
As with all my lights, it was modded by me.
It is a KL4 with an MC-E and a "Boom MC-S" reflector.

easilyled

Flashaholic
DaFabricata, what is the reflector you are using for the MC-E in the KL4 head pictured?

Is it a Ledil-boom?

Does it smooth the beam out nicely?

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its the Boom MC-S from what I'm told.
I bought it in CPF Custom B/S/T from nailbender.

It makes a HUGE difference over the stock KL4 reflector. Very nice, smooth beam, but still does not throw as much as a P7 with stock KL4 reflector.

I used a uni-bit to drill out the old reflector. The edges of the MC-S reflector need to be sanded down to allow proper fitment. The sanding of the reflector what the hardest part. I placed clear packaging tape over the top and bottom opening to keep debris out.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Thanks very much for all the info.

You are the master of the P7 and the MC-E mods in Aleph/E-series lights. :thumbsup:

It makes a HUGE difference over the stock KL4 reflector. Very nice, smooth beam, but still does not throw as much as a P7 with stock KL4 reflector.

I used a uni-bit to drill out the old reflector. The edges of the MC-S reflector need to be sanded down to allow proper fitment. The sanding of the reflector what the hardest part. I placed clear packaging tape over the top and bottom opening to keep debris out.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

DaFab, I believe it's Ledil's "Boomerang SmoothSpot (SS)" reflector. They also have a medium and a diffused version, if memory serves.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky and DaFab... you guys (and others) are incredible with your custom mods... it must be really great to be able to craft these cool customs and to understand all the electronics aspects that need to be worked out. Then the miniature craftwork. Sheesh. Cool stuff for sure!

I got a TnT E2C today and the best I can do is put a Malkoff P7 lamp assembly in a 6P head and screw it onto the E2C, drop an IMR16340 into the E1e and screw it all together... monkey-can-do stuff... but even this is fun. This little E1e is a quite a pocket monster now. I love it, but I'm envious of the n-th degree you guys can take mods to.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KL4 head arrived recently and now I really see why you guys like the TW4 so much.

With a 3.7v (~4.2v) rechargeable in the little E1e body, the stock TW4 sure pleases with a brilliant, very softly floody light. In a world of mostly spotty throwers, the wide soft flood is wonderfully useful. I really love this little set-up! Granted, the stock KL4 head is not such a hottie with a primary, but the rechargeable really wakes it up! :twothumbs

TW4 - KL4 head on E1e body w/3.7v rechargeable AW 16340 cell
TW4.jpg

Last edited:

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
My KL4 head arrived recently and now I really see why you guys like the TW4 so much.

With a 3.7v (~4.2v) rechargeable in the little E1e body, the stock TW4 sure pleases with a brilliant, very softly floody light. In a world of mostly spotty throwers, the wide soft flood is wonderfully useful. I really love this little set-up! Granted, the stock KL4 head is not such a hottie with a primary, but the rechargeable really wakes it up! :twothumbs

TW4 - KL4 head on E1e body w/3.7v rechargeable AW 16340 cell
TW4.jpg

That is exactly what I carried for the looooongest time until the VG-1-BK became available, then the E1B came out last year. I love the new E1B clip and tailcap, so I moved the KL4-BK over to the E1B body and put the E1B head on the VG-1-BK body.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly what I carried for the looooongest time until the VG-1-BK became available, then the E1B came out last year. I love the new E1B clip and tailcap, so I moved the KL4-BK over to the E1B body and put the E1B head on the VG-1-BK body.

Beretta... pictures, pictures, please! Guess I'll have to put my KL4 head on my E1B body and check that out! :)

Howecollc

Enlightened
KeyGrip, heres some current/voltage info on the L4 if you want to figure it out
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/54803
I estimate the runtime about 25 minutes to be in the ballpark

heres what I'm thinking [:twak: me if you find an error, typing on the fly here:ohgeez:]
[RCR123A = 750mah, 17670 = 1600mah] a 17670 has 2.13X more capacity than the RCR123A
the L4 [well mine, your luxV Vf may differ] can run on a 17670 for about 45-50 minutes before significant dimming.
capacity/runtime
750/r = 1600/50 r= 23.4375 minutes
You couldn't be any closer. I recently tested my KL4 runtime twice; each time with a different "hot off the charger" AW RCR123. I left it on for 15 minutes straight, then used 5 minute off / 5 minute on intervals. In both trials, the light kicked out of regulation between the 24 to 25 minute mark.

Illum

Flashaholic
ty :grin2:

I went to a night event yesterday and ran my TW4 yesterday night clipped to a baseball cap. It worked very well for me, but blinded everyone around me:laughing:

It was around 10 when I was in the parking lot the battery died. Oh well, field swapped in the dark and popped a new one in [always keep spares on you, I can't stress that enough], the old cell got left in the pants for 12+ hours until I rummaged through the pockets before "discarding" the pair of pants into the laundry machine. That "dead" cell happened to be a AW RCR123A :eek: and its been sitting depleted for over half a day! Its on the charger now...but I hope I can still save it:candle: