Surefire Titan (factory sealed - EDIT: not anymore :D )

Should I open my factory sealed original Titan to find out S/N?

• Yes

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've already got S/N 307 that I EDC, and now I've also got an original titanium Titan in its factory sealed retail packaging; shrinkwrap and all. :faint: The suspense is a killer not knowing what the S/N is, but I know that the moment I open it, it instantly loses value. I'm thinking I should leave it alone as a collector's item since I have one I carry daily anyway.

What would you do?

UPDATE: SOLD

PICS OF THE OPENING IN POST #44

Last edited:

lisantica

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Titan (factory sealed) - To Open, Or Not To Open

I'd keep it shrinkwrapped. In my opinion it would be of so much more value, not just money wise, but sentiment wise. The new owner will have the distinction of the first one to open it, that can be sentimental to some.

Lisa

nbp

Flashaholic

Two Titans have been up on the marketplace for sale for quite awhile. One finally sold (#005, at $580), and the other is still up I believe. That one is listed for LESS than original price, and still isn't going. So I'd just open it and play with it. It doesn't seem that people are falling all over each other to get them at this point, so I doubt opening the package is really going to hurt the resale value.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would open it and find out what number I have.

Who knows, you may have got #007 :devil:

Sell it back if you got the number you don't like. :naughty:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sure if these will worth a lot more in a couple of years from now. Let's face it, the technology goes so fast, would you buy a luxI light, even if it was a limited edition made in Ti ?

I also think that the real collectors already have a Titan, it's a small market.

easilyled

Flashaholic

BIB, is #307 the one that I sold to you, or is it another one? :)

scout24

Flashaholic

Maybe like the movies? In case of emergency, break glass? Just kidding. I would open it, enjoy it, and use it.

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened

As an apprentice "flashaholic" I'm still confused about the major significance that serial numbers seem to play in this game of love, lumens and lights. ;)

If (and that's apparently a BIG if) you were to open the sealed packaging and found the flashlight was bearing the serial #0021485 for example, would this be a good thing; a bad thing; or simply an indifferent discovery?

Even as a newbie, I can understand the obvious advantage to a collector of serial #0022222 for example, but any "non-golden" numbers... what's it matter?

I also understand that the Surefire Titans are a relatively expensive, and very well engineered and respected flashlight, but as to their serial numbers — so far down their production path???

—Jack. :)

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

BIB, is #307 the one that I sold to you, or is it another one? :)
Yep that's the one :twothumbs

I also understand that the Surefire Titans are a relatively expensive, and very well engineered and respected flashlight, but as to their serial numbers — so far down their production path???
That's the whole appeal to me of keeping it sealed. There were only a limited run of 1000 pieces made ever. I think I'll sit on it for a little while then if it's still bugging me, I'll crack her open.

The X-Ray suggestion wasn't a bad idea :p

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the old days, SF made these 1000 Titans as a limited run. But I think 1000 were way too many to be a limited edition. Maybe they should have gone for 100 instead. :rolleyes:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've already got S/N 307 that I EDC, and now I've also got an original titanium Titan in its factory sealed retail packaging; shrinkwrap and all. :faint: The suspense is a killer not knowing what the S/N is, but I know that the moment I open it, it instantly loses value. I'm thinking I should leave it alone as a collector's item since I have one I carry daily anyway.

What would you do?

Does your Titan have the battery already inside the light? I'm not familiar with the way SF packages Titans but I know other SF lights are packaged with the batteries inserted. Even with lithium batteries I would not leave them in a light indefinately especially one of collector value.If the battery is not inside the light then I think it would be worthwhile to leave it in the package.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Yep that's the one :twothumbs

Excellent. I love it when I hear that a light I've sold has been put to good use, especially as an EDC. You're only the 2nd owner since I received that light sealed in its box from OpticsHQ. :)

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Perhaps I misunderstand something here or I am wrong with my lights, perhaps I'm not deep enough in yet...

First thing I do with ALL my lights when I get them is taking them out of their packaging, as I found out that you can't use them when they are in there. Surefires may have a cell in them, but they are locked out and you won't be able to switch it on. If it lit up, the beam would be weird because of the plastic.

This means, you must open it, because your light is useless if you don't. Who would want a useless light? Probably one someone who has been gifted that light and doesn't want it, because either the light is crap or he's just not interested in that light.

What's your reason to not open that fabulous light?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

In the old days, SF made these 1000 Titans as a limited run. But I think 1000 were way too many to be a limited edition. Maybe they should have gone for 100 instead. :rolleyes:

1000 Titans world wide not limited enough.:thinking:

Bill

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened

I'd just carfully unwrap that little guy and try it out for function at least. Preserve everything for the next owner & they may want to know in advance tint & other issues on such a spendy light.

You may not like the tint, or God forbid, you could even be sitting on a defective light. The curiosity for me would be unbearable to have such a nice light laying around like that & not having at least played with it in the house. I can't even find one around here to play with locally so I can see what all the fuss is about:D.

Voting for open.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Open it, of course!

It could just be a bunch of rocks in there :)

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lots of great feedback people, thank you. Keep it coming. :wave:

Does your Titan have the battery already inside the light? I'm not familiar with the way SF packages Titans but I know other SF lights are packaged with the batteries inserted. Even with lithium batteries I would not leave them in a light indefinately especially one of collector value.If the battery is not inside the light then I think it would be worthwhile to leave it in the package.
Very valid and interesting point. For this very reason, I called Surefire CS this afternoon to check on exactly what they had to say about it. In a nutshell, their response was such that as long as you had documentation proving it was still sealed upon opening (ie. video the unboxing), they would still honor the lifetime warranty including the accidental discharge of lithium primary cells they don't currently manufacture (ie. CR2's). I was assured that all cells in SF brand lights sold are of U.S.A. manufacture and that the warranty would - at the very minimum - cover the advertised 10-yr shelf life of lithium primaries.

This being said, even if the battery is in the light itself I'll take SF's word for it that they'll hold up their end of the deal. That's a real relief seriously - you had a very valid point there ZMZ67. :eek: