Apparently some people are not flashaholics

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to be a buzz kill, but I'm 99% sure that women are just genetically incompatible with flashlights. :shakehead

I know more women who carry lights than men. Of course, we're mostly talking little coincell 5mm LED jobbies on their keychain or in their purse.

Women are typically more interested in utility than "Wow" factor.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always try to discourage folks from spending a bunch on a light for their wives and girlfriends. No matter how well intentioned they in general don't see nifty little gadgets like we do.

Geoff

I bought my wife a LF2XT after she complained that her mag solitaire couldn't compete with exam room lighting for checking pupil dilation. It stays clipped in the pocket of her white coat. She's gotten so used to always having a flashlight on her at work that she's started using my flashlights around the house.

--flatline

jenskh

Enlightened
I have bought flashlights to many of my relatives, friends and my wife. I always think that they will be very interested, fascinated and may be share my interest/addiction. They never do. I have realised that the only place I can meet people that share my interest is in this forum.:thinking:

jenskh

Enlightened
and I must more or less keep the fascination to myself, or others will look at me as a kind of geek or nerd or what you call it:sssh:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
and I must more or less keep the fascination to myself, or others will look at me as a kind of geek or nerd or what you call it:sssh:

I always point out that there are many interesting topics where flashlights are involved. Design, Machining, Electronics... "And it's always interesting to see what kinds of advanced technology is coming out."

I reserve the more technical information for people who continue to inquire past my conversational side step.

Or, dependent upon peoples' reactions, I just mention that I'm a Boy Scout, and like to "be prepared."

----------------------------------------------------

Back on Topic.

OP, a headlamp may have been a better investment, even a cheap one, like a Princeton Tec Quad. Much easier to use when actually working, or walking around.

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
You should have also goten her a diffuser cone so it would provide more than just spot lighting.

:rolleyes:

She might have used it more that way.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I also don't see the point to give expensive lights as a gift...but i also don't really see the point in buying expensive ones for me, but i just started with surefires :D
However, gave my girlfriend a pink mini-maglite, when i returned from my vacation in the u.s., and she loves it really, because you can't get the color here, it is a present from me and because it's pink. and she says she reads in bed with it and uses it regularly. now i just gave her a dx light with a new p60 r2-dropin on 2 cr-123, she'll get the batteries she needs from me....i said she should put it in her car, for an emergency....her sister wanted a shake-light for christmas, i did what i could to bring something else in the discussion, but her mind could not be changed...anyways, sold her father a romisen rc-n3 from sb... :D And he is always interested in something brighter ;)
So, at the end of the day, not all people are flashoholics. Some can be converted and some are inaccessible.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mars and Venus guys, Mars and Venus! :D

I will definitely remember this thread though because my girlfriend has been receptive to the idea of a nice small light for her purse. She already really likes the coin cell light that I gave her and has on her keys. She uses it all the time and in fact I've actually caught her playing with it outside a few times at night. :D

Yes guys, you read that right. I may have been the only man on the face of the Earth that has actually caught a woman playing with a flashlight! Miracles do happen!

Based on that, she's ripe for the picking in terms of assimilating her into our little world. ("Resistance is futile.") I was thinking of getting her a nice AA light for her purse for emergencies like the Quark AA mentioned in this thread, but maybe I'll back off a little bit and plant a much cheaper seed like a light from ITP or Romisen instead. If she gets hooked, then I can splurge a bit more in the future.

nbp

Flashaholic
Headlamps, difuser cones, cases of batteries......perhaps I should have gone along with her and held the flashlight too, hey? :confused:

I guess I expected it to be better recieved based on past successful light gifts. I gave this girl's brother and his wife E01s and they immediately put them on their keychains and later told me they use them all the time. Another friend, a GIRL, got a River Rock 1xAA from me and she put in it her purse, and has told me several times how she has used it for this or that. So maybe I had some rose colored glasses on. On top of that, this girl had TOLD me that there were power outages and people used flashlights. Wouldn't you assume too that a light as a gift would be appropriate and useful?

And as for why I got her something of somewhat high cost, well, I did not want to be the flashlight guy who got her a flashlight only to have it die after a few weeks because I had bought some cheap DX crap for her. That was out of the question. I don't buy that crap for myself because I don't trust it, why would I send her into the jungles of the tropics with a light I didn't trust? I felt the Quark was a good compromise of cost and quality/dependability.

Yikes, Cut a brother some slack. :candle:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently some people are not flashaholics ... How very true

I went on holiday to Rhodes a couple of years ago and met a guy who collected Brown Paper ... He apparently had one of the best collections of brown paper samples in the world ... He had thousands of pieces ... He was a chemist by profession and was able to test the acidity , colouring agent and other features of each sample in his collection ... Each piece was filed away individually in special acid-free bags ... He was absolutely delighted that he had found another piece to add to his collection on a market stall and he had to buy something there just to get that particular bag ... Apparently the smaller sizes and the larger sizes did not have the same rare paper structure.

Strangely , he didn't seem to have a good sense of humour at some of my jokes ... His Wife thought it was funny when I said that it must be amusing at Xmas when a thirty year old and his two year old son both prefer the wrapping paper to the presents.

So (as the saying goes) it takes all sorts ....

Well , I must wrap-up this post now (pun intended)

Keep Flashing Folks (and Folkesses)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I didn't expect so many people to jump on me!

To respond to a few comments:

She mentioned before she even left that others used flashlights (thus the reason I was happy to get her one) so I don't think it was a cultural thing.

She recieved a thorough explanation on how to use the light before she left and she's very intelligent, so it's not like she didn't know how to change a battery. She just didn't.

Batteries were available to her. She said she didn't buy any, NOT that there weren't any.

And I can't imagine that using candles is that much cheaper than the Quark. It will run 48 hrs on low on a single AA. Think about it.

And the neutral tint of a candle? Really? I don't think she cares about tint.

And even if I had given her more batteries, what's to say the same thing wouldn't have happened later on in the trip?

I dunno. I have no idea why she didn't use it. I'm just expressing the fact that I was a little hurt by the fact that she didn't care to use what I felt was a pretty nice and obviously useful gift. And then actually told me so.

Where's the appreciation?

Well , just poking around in the dark so to speak :poke:
Maybe , she was expecting something along the lines of jewelery , rather than a carefully thought out gift that is both practical and useful , that was actually given some consideration .
:candle:

God said , let there be light :candle: So I own plenty of flashlights !
As per instructions ! :D

ruriimasu

Enlightened
I always try to discourage folks from spending a bunch on a light for their wives and girlfriends. No matter how well intentioned they in general don't see nifty little gadgets like we do.

Geoff

im starting to agree with u :buddies:

anyway, i guess thats another reason why some lights are made like jewelleries such are lummi's, drakes and dracos ;)

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
My buddy's younger sister just came home from an 8 month stay in the Dominican Republic where she was volunteering her time to teach. Before she left she had told us that the place she was staying didn't have running water and electricity was spotty, depending on when the generators were running and running well.

Flashaholic to the rescue! Poor lighting you say? I'll solve that! As she is like a sister to me I told her I'd get her a decent light. So I got her a Quark AA. I saw her tonight and asked if she got some good use out of that flashlight with all the power outages.

She replied it worked well for about a month and then the battery died and she never bought new ones so she had been using candles! :ohgeez: :shakehead

I could not believe it. I didn't tell her that was a $57 flashlight and that I specifically got the 1xAA for her so it would be as cheap and easy as possible to power it and that I was a little disappointed that it got relegated to the junk drawer and that if she didn't want it I'd take it back. I didn't say any of those things. Maybe she'll come around still.

Apparently some people just aren't flashaholics. :sigh:

Yes those from the dark side just do not understand the importance of a quality flashlight. And not everyone shares the excitement as we do. I already have a Muyshondt Aeon but I want to buy the new quark mini CR2. It has a lower low. But I do not want to have the problem of spending a few minuets in the morning just trying to figure out what knife and light I will carry for the day. I owned the mini CR123 and it was the most convieniant light to carry. But I think the CR2 version would look more "normal" in other words not so fat and short. Not so expensive so as to not worry about loosing it or scratching it. What do you think go for it or not. :thinking:(the mini cr2) Do not want to change the topic discussion here so if the mod thinks this is out of place go ahead and rip it.

Daniel

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Maybe I'm a traitor to the cause but I just don't understand why the woman should be expected to choose a battery operated reflector torch over candlelight when lighting her powerless house.

Candles are not directional like a torch, they give a nice spread of light all round. You can always see very clearly how much reserve you have left with a candle. Candles have very good runtime. Candles are extremely cheap and are usually very commonly available in any quantity one likes to buy and oft times wimmin get quite a few as presents (well I know my wife gives and receives them quite often), sometimes candles are even nicely scented. Candles are simple and sweet and give a warm feeling to the heart.

There's nothing particularly endearing about a battery operated torch to most people.

Until I came to this site I thought torches were purely for waving about looking for things in dark nooks and crannies and for lighting the way in the great outdoors.

Before I came here I'd have never thought of "tailstanding" a torch so that its light reflected off a ceiling as some sort of electronic substitute for a candle or lantern inside a house, in fact I still don't think that way. Can't fathom the idea at all really.

Perhaps a more useful electronic light for a place without power would have been one of those camping lanterns that one sits on a table and throws light out at 360 degrees. It's certainly what I'd prefer in those circumstances.

They say it's not what you spend but the thought that counts but I've found that if my thoughts are even remotely directed towards my own interests and hobbies when choosing a gift for a loved one then I'll almost always make the wrong choice.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id have given her 10 energizer lithiums and the instruction manual as well as the light.AND explained to her it has different levels of light.

id also ask that when her time there was over that she leave it with someone she believes could use it a doctor/emt/nurse/teacher maybe?

a student can only be as good as the teacher

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks!

I know lots of people like that. You get them good stuff and they don't use it or whatever. Sucks :(

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Ah yes... candlelit dinners....
not quite what I was referring to. I spent a bit of my childhood in my grandparents house that had no electricity and it's hard to explain but I always felt that a house lit by candles and oil lamps has a closeness and warmth that comes from what sort of feels like the light making the walls envelope you. Maybe that feeling doesn't come when one lights a larger style brick or concrete modern house with flame but then both my houses are made of stone and over a hundred and fifty years old so I guess I won't ever find out.