Apparently some people are not flashaholics

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a minute . . . .

Is that a COLOR printer ? ? ?

:tinfoil:
_

Hell yeah it's a color printer! For a woman like that, nothing but the best AND, it's an 8 color printer and check this out, it prints on 13x19" paper.

Top that! :devil:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
What do you guy's think if it was the exact same high-tech-Ti-newest LED-tested by Navy Seals flashlight, and it said, say...Tiffany & Co on it, or Bvlgari, Jimmy Choo? Or how about Chanel, even better!

I wager that light would be out, and taken to the board room at work, pilates, the mall an evening of fine dining and other places women go to impress each other.

In my case she takes them out on our private jet just to impress the flight crew.:D

Can you just picture Elaine from Seinfeld using the designer light, and showing it off.

OK, OK...We Don't have a private jet, but I did know a very easy date named "Chanel" back in the 80's! Ahhh...the 80's. She looked just like...well, never mind:sssh:

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Once again, you have no idea what she was actually doing, nor how busy she was with more important matters, nor how appropriate what she used (candles) was to her situation.

Dude, I think we are just having some fun here. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and there is really no right or wrong answer here!

By the by, what do you think of a Chanel flashlight?

For women, of course. For men that could be seen as femme on this most manliness of sites.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope we can continue to have fun without making value judgements about things we really don't know.

nbp

Flashaholic
In another thread where we were discussing the trend of adding 'fire' to the end of words to create flashlight brands there were some really funny responses. My favorite was a suggestion for a flashlight called "Dazzlefire". If they made a decent flashlight in pink and called it Dazzlefire, not only would I buy them for girls I know, I'd probably get one for myself! So I could review it of course, for others who wanted them for their SO. :eek:

EDIT:

Here is that thread, in case you want to read up. Need a name for your flashlight company?

Some may appeal to the ladies. ;)

Last edited:

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what point or event needs to happen, to become a Flashaholic?

I believe that being a flashaholic is more an inborne attitude. An external event, like a long blackout or a situation of danger created from the dark, is usually making this attitude to come afloat.

Over the time, I developed my own way of distinguishing a flashaholic person from a non-flashaholic person.

A non-flashaholic person considers the lighting, both outdoor and indoor, to be part of the natural landscape or the rooms furnishing, respectively. I believe this is be the most widespread approach to the need for light which we all have, and is based on the evolutionary learning of the role which light has in our lifes.
Therefore, a non-flashaholic person will not permanently carry a light; if they need to conduct an outdoor activity, they will do it in the sunlight; if a cabinet is placed in a dark spot of the house, they will install a cabinet light... and so on.

A flashaholic person, on the other hand, has different approach to the need for lighting. He/she had learnt that lighting doesn't stay with things, but with the person.
I believe this is caused from a more analytical cognitive behavior, which often extends to other traits of the personality.

Regards

Anthony

JCD

Enlightened
… if a cabinet is placed in a dark spot of the house, they will install a cabinet light...

I think any analytical mind would opt to add cabinet lighting if the cabinet is in a fixed location. One knows that they will always need lighting at that particular location, so a permanent lighting solution is more efficient than using a flashlight.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
My examples were oriented to provide an hint on how the mindset of a non-flashaholic is oriented to create a setup where the lighting blends with the sorrounding environment; and how a flashaholic, instead, uses this setup but doesn't rely on it, because his mindset discernes his specific needs for lighting.
I have LED light points in my dark cabinets, AND a flashlight in my pocket...

Anthony

JCD

Enlightened
I guess I just don't see the connection between flashlight obsession and analytical superiority (or inferiority).

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just consider environmental lighting (or lack thereof) as an "imposed" point of view, that you cannot normally change. Non-flashaholics simply don't know that there is a possibility of changing it, or just don't care.
The use of a flashlight allows you to change the point of view imposed by environmental lighting. This is true both literally and metaphorically.
Flashaholics (or other professionals) uses flashlights in daylight too, to overcome confusing shadows and/or erroneous illumination angles. (literal meaning of my statement).
Scientific use of a flashlight gives the flashaholic the potentiality to avoid deceiving situations, either casual or imposed, caused from wrong or insufficient lighting (metaphorical meaning of my statement).
An analytical mindset is required to understand that the completeness of the knowledge requires multiple points of view, and darkness is not acceptable under any circumstance.
I hope to have expressed clearly it...
Anthony

JCD

Enlightened
Just consider environmental lighting (or lack thereof) as an "imposed" point of view, that you cannot normally change. Non-flashaholics simply don't know that there is a possibility of changing it, or just don't care.

A counterexample to you theory would be the lady mentioned in the opening post of this thread. Like millions of people before her, she realized that it was possible to change her environmental lighting conditions, and didn't feel compelled to utilize a flashlight in order to do so. She used candles, which served the same purpose.

I think bluepilgrim is right: we just love flashlights. That's okay. There's no reason to try to rationalize it with claims of analytical superiority, especially without analytical evidence to support such claims.

Blinding

Newly Enlightened
I believe it's not so much about being a flashaholic as it is about having a basic technical knowledge.
She's probably forgotten that flashlights needs batteries to work.

I've numerous times "repaired" peoples remotes. Suddenly they complaint their TV don't work or only works with the buttons the on TV. Every time they're surprised that a remote control need batteries :eek: :ohgeez: :hairpull: :banghead:

I remember when TV remotes didn't need batteries. No Joke. The first remotes were mechanical and used a tuning fork to send ultrasonic signals to the TV. Now we have these monsters with so many buttons I am embarrassed to try and explain them all to a non techie.

Using candles instead of a flashlight can be a personal choice. Just like some people like to go camping without the GPS, NOAH radio, Ipod, mattress inflater, and other junk.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when TV remotes didn't need batteries. No Joke. The first remotes were mechanical and used a tuning fork to send ultrasonic signals to the TV. Now we have these monsters with so many buttons I am embarrassed to try and explain them all to a non techie.

Using candles instead of a flashlight can be a personal choice. Just like some people like to go camping without the GPS, NOAH radio, Ipod, mattress inflater, and other junk.

Dude, I remember when the remotes had CABLES on them :)

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
Dude, I remember when the remotes had CABLES on them :)

Geez, now I feel really old. Not only can I remember when TVs didn't have remotes (not such a big deal when you could only get 2 channels), if I try I can remember way back back when our (fairly large provincial) town didn't have any TV stations at all, and only the rich people had gianormous towers to let them get crappy TV signals from a long way away (but only on a good day). Black and white TVs at that !