Arc6 Impressions + Picture Thread

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...IMHO it is pretty hard to charge premium cash for a custom or limited run (as this run of arc flashlights is being billed) HAND GUN and not have that piece come out of the box or case with a perfect finish.

I suspect that a NEW ar15 with no wear on the finish commands a higher price. Based on ratings given the amount of wear on the gun. The less wear and the prettier the piece the more it will command.

IMHO Since the ARC 6 is a hand made from selected components those should be the ones with the best HA III match, best emitters and the most care taken to assemble them. Otherwise what differentiates them from the rest of the run? If these ARC 6's are made from the best components then why not just wait for the production lights?
I don't know.
Yaesumofo

I wasn't talking about "limited edition" firearm. As far as looks commanding premiums, on the secondary market, people will focus on "looks" sometimes even over function but that's because you can see the looks, but you can't see function until you take the gun through its paces on the range. But when you buy new, the price is generally set and there are no "premiums" commanded by dealers for a "mint" safe queen. I buy my rifles new (I get a warranty that way) so looks is, within reason, secondary. I'm all about function.

And where did this thing come from that the Arc6 is "made from selected components"? Did this come from Peter himself or is this forum myth that somehow got perpetuated?

ouchmyfinger

Enlightened
Arc6 impressions after a week of use with primary cells.

The HA is very nice. The head and two tails are all slightly different shades, but it is only detectable under certain lighting conditions. My unguarded tube exhibited the same wave of discoloration on the bottom that cryhavok photographed. However, after about a day of groping it, the oils of my hand washed it away. It was something on the surface, not a problem in the HA. It is among the nicest annodizing I have ever handled. And the color is amazing. It will be sad if complaints about barely-mismatched components drive Peter to start doing black instead.

I am disappointed that both the internals and externals of the PD were adopted. Seems like a lazy decision. I prefer knurling to the ribs and flutes, similar to previous Arc lights.

I like the activation method (piston) and the user interface (including programming) is easy enough to use. However, activation is much too difficult. This seems to be mentioned by many who have used an Arc6, and hopefully Peter will take it into account when doing a production run. I managed to break it in a bit, but the action is still stiff and difficult as compared to either an Al or Ti PD. Am interested in hearing some specifics about kilroy adjustment. My thumb is sore after a week of use. Peter, you must have bionic thumbs. The threads are all very smooth, and I can one hand a twist into high even with the unguarded tail.

The converter does whine somewhat unpredictably (different frequencies) when using level 7. It can be heard in a quiet room. Doesn't seem like it will be a problem for me, but it does not inspire confidence. At various times there can be a quick unexpected flicker or ramping of beam brightness, though not very often. Usually during stepdown or mode switching, often associated with level 7. Again, not a problem in use, but also not confidence inspiring. Side effects such as these are surprising in something as engineered as the Arc6.

The tint is warmer than I would choose, but just fine. Level 7 is very bright, quite impressive in a package this size.

I'm happy I spent the money, but YMMV. I hope Peter can find a suitable LED and keep the cost of a production run low enough that many Arc6s will be made.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I agree with you. :thumbsup:

I also do not have a light that even comes close, it is sweeeeeeeeeet. Not to mention the awesome Luxeon beam pattern. The seoul/cree beams are inferior IMO.

BTW, I notice there is no Arc6's on Ebay.... Wonder why, I was thinking about getting another... :naughty:
would you like to buy mine?

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm all this talk about the piston has got me thinking, have any of you guys taken a look at the piston's o-ring?? Have you tried pushing the piston in without the head on? Hows the pressure?? Lube??Maybe the o-ring is a bit fat or dry... Just shooting form the hip here.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, it looks like a beta light to me.
Of course, it was marketed as the first Arc6 lights out so I assumed it would be rougher than a production light. Looks like I was correct as everything has teething problems when the line cranks up.

As far as paying over $500 for a K2 Arc6? I can wait, I am a CPF'er and am always waiting for something :) After all, it is the summer so light usage is way, way down so relax I will. Maybe by the fall the Arc6 line will be cranked up and we will all see if the legendary Arc HA-III comes to fruition.

For now, as it has been for the last two years :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

cryhavok

Enlightened
I received the light back a few days ago and have been playing with it for a bit. Good news is that the finish on the tail cap has seemed to even out. The distinct wave of discoloration is now gone...Perhaps it was some oil? I just kept rubbing it with my thumb and now the finish is a lot more consistent.

I still haven't received the guarded tail cap yet...I'd like to know what is going on with that. :popcorn:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go on over to the knife forums and try to extract top dollar for those "tools" without the pieces functioning and LOOKING PERFECT.
I have never owned a Strider w/o an imperfection in its finish. Both of my Sebenzas however, do have a perfect finish. That said, I like to think of the Arc6 as a Strider and not a Sebenza.

...it is pretty hard to charge premium cash for a custom or limited run...HAND GUN and not have that piece come out of the box or case with a perfect finish.
While not a Les Baer, or a Wilson Combat, I had a brand new, custom order SA PX9149LP Loaded Champion upgraded to TRP. It is neither perfect in function, or in finish.

Last edited:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
I received the light back a few days ago and have been playing with it for a bit. Good news is that the finish on the tail cap has seemed to even out. The distinct wave of discoloration is now gone...Perhaps it was some oil? I just kept rubbing it with my thumb and now the finish is a lot more consistent.

I still haven't received the guarded tail cap yet...I'd like to know what is going on with that. :popcorn:

How could that be possible?:shrug:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
How could that be possible?:shrug:

Funny you should ask, I wasn't sure it was possible either, but I just had the same happen on a aleph tailcap from the shoppe.

It wasn't the more solid "green" looking HA that they've used that matches the greenish surefire color, but it was the more brownish tone that matches their other HA aleph parts....I thought everything about the tail was normal, then I looked and noticed that the finish was much more splotchy than previously seen. The tail was on a body, and i just gripped the tail and rotated it and next thing i knew it was a shade lighter and spotless.

From what I can figure, it was just a film that built up in the process. Guessing maybe something in the process caused the pores of the metal to close up before this darker film took hold. Weird.

Elmie

Enlightened
both my battery packs had that "splash" effect. They are now both quite even in finish. Only when you are rotating the light over and over from the side will you see the darker shade, but its from tip to tip otherwise you can't see a difference normally. The ano on it is so good that it does look like it was painted on. I really like the light, except for that orange o-ring behind the lens...arrgghhhh why couldn't it just be black?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I really like the light, except for that orange o-ring behind the lens...arrgghhhh why couldn't it just be black?

There's just no pleasing anyone :shakehead

Last edited:

toby_pra

Flashaholic
From what I can figure, it was just a film that built up in the process. Guessing maybe something in the process caused the pores of the metal to close up before this darker film took hold. Weird.

If its just a film, it can be polished like someone already told...:)