Ashlee Simpson SNL (OOPS)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
now she may not be a very good singer, and she might be fairly worthless, but i'll bet i could find a way to put her to good use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BugOutGear_USA said:
Can you say Milli-Vanilli?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference. Milli-Vanilli was a front for the real talent, and didn't lip sync their own material. Ashlee, as far as we know, does her own material, even if it's enhanced. The fake was in not delivering a true live performance at a time it was suppose to be live. The blame for that goes much farther than just Ashlee. She couldn't have pulled it off without the help of her band members, the technicians for the show, and others. It sounds like the real offender is SNL itself.

Mutie

Enlightened
If she had any skill she wouldn't have missed a beat. I can't tell you how many times we've had power or sound systems go out and we just keep on going at least till the song is finished and sort it out after.

You know what they say. The show must go on.

Mutie

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean Mutie, I have done countless track acts and lip synch acts and a real pro might have gotten away with this.

ashlee.gif

CiTY

Enlightened
I have a relative that manages a somewhat well known singer, and she says that a very good percentage of stars do lip-sync. She just looks at them and can tell within a few seconds when they perform. You would be surprised to hear some of the big stars fake quite a bit.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mutie, fascinating isn't it. How can you just walk off like that? I guess she did wait around to see if someone was going to put in the proper CD and start it playing. The drummer kept going, the guitarist vamped for a while staring at the drummer waiting. And when nothing happened she left. If someone in back had just started up the right tape I'm sure they would have caught up and came in and finished the act. Shame they couldn't have just turned her microphone on for real and made her sing something real there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CiTY is right, it's VERY common. The reason that they will give you is that most venue's don't have a proper monitor system, don't have decent micing capability, don't have a decent sound guy and they can't possibly sing while doing the stage act and dancing and all that. (which is why you never hear those girls panting over their headphone mics while they are dancing, cause they aren't turned on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) All of that might even be true, but I'd still rather hear a slightly less than studio perfect performance with the singer more or less just standing in front of the mic and behind the monitors than listen to the CD. I can do that at home. Well, not in this particular case as I'm not likely to find that amongst my CD collection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I remember years and years ago that Madonna got in some publicity trouble for doing the same thing. She reacted differently however and told her label to stuff it that she was singing from then on and she has. She still puts on a hell of a show and part of that is because it's really her singing on stage when you go to see her. Those are other albums that you won't find in my collection, but I do respect her as a performer for that! Having a not insignificant amount of experience playing on stage myself, it's really hard work!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
but i'll bet i could find a way to put her to good use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. She could hold the camcorder while I party with Jessica.

best regards

capnal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
now she may not be a very good singer, and she might be fairly worthless, but i'll bet i could find a way to put her to good use /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG

OK, you do realize she is only 19, right?

LukeK

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
OMG

OK, you do realize she is only 19, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Roth's not too far off that mark, so it's not THAT heinous.

flashlight_widow

Enlightened
Ashlee Simpson is a no-talent *** clown, and I would personally like to thank the fine folks at SNL for helping to expose this to the world. I find the whole thing hilarious.

Sure, she isn't the first to lip synch a live performance, but come on. She insists that this was the first and only time she'd done it, after she made so much fun of other "artists" for doing it in concert. Don't bag on other people for doing it and then blame your BAND (lame!) when something goes wrong. I guess the band excuse didn't work so now she's blaming a bad case of acid reflux. Ashlee and her sleazy manager dad are both full of it, as far as I am concerned. If reflux really did cause her problems (which I seriously doubt), then she should have just said it in the first place instead of lamely trying to blame her band and everyone else on earth. I have NEVER, EVER heard of someone losing their voice due to reflux. And if her reflux was THAT severe, wouldn't she be on medication like everyone else?

I think if she had laughed the whole thing off and just went on with her regular performance, it wouldn't be an issue -but she handled the whole situation terribly.

Also, I think it was really crummy that her dad had to throw out the names of other performers like Celine Dion while trying to fabricate an excuse for his talentless daughter. Dude, suck it up and go back to the used car lot. (Am I the only one who can't believe this guy used to be a minister? Yuck!)

Anyone who has seen her show on MTV should realize the girl has absolutely zero talent. She couldn't write, she couldn't sing - her entire show was nothing but her whining and her dad running around acting like a sleazy manager. Every time she'd try to record something, it would be nothing but take after take of her singing crappy, then trying again, singing crappy, trying again. Oh and then more whining when someone higher up told her it stank. We tried watching a few episodes and neither one of us could figure out how in the hell she had gotten her own show!

On a final note, this was from an interview with Katie Couric. It just cracked me up:

Couric: Before we go, where did you get the little hoe-down moves?
Simpson: I don't know. From Texas.

I guess I'd better learn how to hoe-down, being in Texas and all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
ONLY 19? what,,, you guys are already a year late. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

yea, that was halarious, dumb b..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

UVLaser

Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif Oh god I could't stop laughing
good stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif
ok I will leave her alone now................ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
This is why I stick to Happy Hardcore not pop