Ashlee Simpson SNL (OOPS)

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
She's busted...Most of the plastic pop princess types are fakes either thru. ghost singers or studio magic.

I'd bet that she doesn't sing at all. The CD has ghost singers and studio singers, and the execs. just pasted her name and image on it. She didn't even try to lip synch to the song. She stood there, and with a confused look, stared at her drummer (who controls the click track and DAT for the in-ear monitors). She looks like she didn't even recognize one of her own songs!

-dan

MichiganMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
THE_dAY said:
let's leave the poor girl alone.
peace

[/ QUOTE ]

THE_dAY, this poor girl, after being caught willfully defrauding her audience, deserted her bandmembers who were still doing their job on stage, then unbelievably blamed those same guys on national TV for the screw up, then let her dad slime a bunch of other singers in an attempt at defending the indefensible instead of just coming out and admitting that her live performances aren't live.

Meanwhile, this poor girl has made millions of dollars before she's 21 for basically singing and looking pretty, is idolized by millions of people, and because of her sister, has had access to opportunities that more talented people wait tables for decades before getting.

So let's not worry too much about the poor girl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

capnal

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MichiganMan said:
Meanwhile, this poor girl has made millions of dollars before she's 21 for basically singing and looking pretty, is idolized by millions of people, and because of her sister, has had access to opportunities that more talented people wait tables for decades before getting.

So let's not worry too much about the poor girl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll drink to that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still feel sad for her. have ya ever been on stage live? i have many freinds who are musicans and they tell me things it aint so easy. she is a kid. that had to be awefull fer her she is in jescica background

LukeK

Enlightened
raggie33, sure it's not easy being a performer, but it's her decision to get up on stage. Screwing up royally is a risk you take. Confidence is also just one of the strange side effects of having talent and practice.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
just so that people don't think i'm a pedofiliac, i'd like to point out that i'm 19 as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mutie

Enlightened
The fact that she blew it so badly does give some credence that she doesn't normally do tracks and was completely unprepared to deal with it. The fact that she then turned around and blamed it on the band shows how unprofessional and undeserving of what fame she has had up until now.

Whatever she does have is strictly manufactured and a result of other peoples work and access because of her sister. I have no issue that she got breaks and access because of that, it's the nature of the business where success more often than not is a lucky break as opposed to talent and/or hard work. At some point though you have to earn it and clearly she has not and given how she reacted is unlikely to.

Nor do I have problem using tracks to supplement your music. We do it all the time and all our vocals are samples on a computer and it takes two dub pscientists with Imacs, samplers, keyboards and patch panels to produce our background music and lyrics. And what happens if it all crashes or the power goes out? We don't miss a beat and power through strictly with percussion.

Yes performing in front of a live audience is hard. And I daresay few other bands work as hard as we do. Depending on the situation we bring in and build our own stages, sound system, monitors, power, lighting, aerial and instruments and then clean up and tear it down afterwards. And playing clubs and other venues has it's own share of problems. Faulty equipment, untrained personnel, bad systems, surly union guys more worried about their next break.

Almost any band would absolutely kill to have an opportunity like SNL. To be given an opportunity like that and then handle it so unprofessionally to me is practically criminal.

Mutie

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
just so that people don't think i'm a pedofiliac

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a pedofiliac a cross between a pedophile and a hemophiliac? You're into pale kids whose blood doesn't clot - is that what you're saying? Yo! Fo Shizzle!

culkin_2.jpg

Pale, clotless child actor Macauley Culkin.

I'm just yankin' your chain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

best regards

capnal

Enlightened
OMG Powernoodle!
You are KILLING me here!!!
Damn, my sides are hurting from laughing!!
And the refernece to the Doggie Fizzle Televizzle is the topper! HA HA HA!!!

Anyway, just so no one gets me wrong here, I am not worried about "legal" ages. I was perfectly aware of what cut off ages are. But, just from my chair, being 32 years old, there is not much appealing about a 19 year old GIRL. From from being a woman (no Brittney jokes there!), she is MAYBE on the cusp of being a young lady. To me, 19 is still pretty damn young. But that is just me. Sorry. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Mutie

Enlightened
<giggle>

Yeah everyone knows that they got to be at least 21. Sheesh where have our standards gone to?

Preferring 35+ myself.

Mutie

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blaming the band was lame, but whenever you have a screwup in an act where some performers have access to mics and and some don't, the ones with the mics usually blame those that don't, or the techies. Not always, but most of the time. She couldn't blame the sound techs because that would be admitting that she was either augmenting with a tape or faking it entirely. The band was her best target. Techies have a derogatory word they use for people like her: TALENT.

A few years ago on SNL PUFF DADDY was belting out a song and got so into it that that the wireless mic flew out of his hand and landed at least 10 feet away. It was definately NOT in the act. He ran over and picked it up and just shined it on. While I'm not a fan of his I have a great deal of respect for performers who can carry on graciously when things go wrong. That's part of their job.

Years ago I was watching a glitzy musical in a theatre I worked for. With a full house, thirty seconds into the overture at the top of the show, the baton slipped out of the conductors hand, flew straight up about 8 feet and when it came down it landed on her head. She calmly grabbed it and continued the number as if nothing had happened.

The unexpected is what separates the amatuers from the pros.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Absolutely ridiculous! Every musician knows that if someone screws up... you BLAME THE DRUMMER! :-D

lymph

Enlightened
I'm an orchestral musician and things like that (baton flying loose) happen frequently. It doesn't effect the performance. "You play with your ears, not your eyes."

I have heard stories of soloists coming out with the wrong horn (C trumpet instead of Bb, for example). They notice it after the first note, stop the piece, get the right horn, and start over. No huge deal.

When I was in college, a breeze blew all of my music off the stand during a chamber concert. The pages weren't taped together at all - just loose copies. I couldn't get it back on the stand and in the proper order to fix it until the movement ended - there were probably 15 pages in random order scattered about a 15' diameter. Extremely embarrassing and NOT professional. I learned my lesson the hard way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I had a friend in college who dropped part of his $30,000 instrument right before his Masters' recital. He taped the broken wood together and played the show.

Pros are prepared to handle things going awry. They're also prepared in such a way to minimize the chances of things going awry (i.e. they tape their music and use clothespins to hold it to the stand if there's a chance of draft /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). When you've got someone purporting to be a singer who's not actually singing, and instead relying on someone to push the proper buttons, there are all sorts of possibilities for disaster. Not a very professional way to put on a show, IMO.

Mutie

Enlightened
Negeltu,

We have anywhere from 2 to 10 drummers on stage at any one time. And there are usually 4 drummers with complete kits.

So yeah it's always the drummers fault. If our dub pscience fails for any reason our drummers just plow on through on their own.

Mutie

Latest posts