Automobile emergency kit requirements requested

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
Alkalines do have a price advantage, and they'd be an easy sell, but the bottom line is that I'd feel more comfortable with distributing lithium powered units.

Key to this thread is that we're talking about an emergency kit for a typical motorist. And we can't forget that our mere presence on this board means that we are NOT typical.

The typical consumer is likely to neglect swapping out their home smoke detector batteries, even as the annoying beeps fade into oblivion, much less remember to pop in fresh batteries in the flashlight tucked away in a dark corner of the car out in the driveway.

It's tough to get out of flashaholic mode and into safety for the masses mode.

Lithium, readily available batteries when they are needed, decent performance, runtime, beam, ease of use, relatively inexpensive.

The RC G2 looks like the choice for flashlight, I thought that would be my final and complete recommendation, but no. Someone had to go and mention the benefits of a headlight, something I never brought up when my group was talking about the emergency kit. Now I think I may need to convince the others to include a headlight, because I have one and they are very convenient.

Mine is an AAA, and I guess that would do, but I'd rather go with an AA based lamp. If I can get the G2 and a good headlamp for $20 I think I could sell that combo. There are several benefits to having 2 emergency lights available. The odds of both being dead when needed are much slimmer, and if they both work - even better.

As much as modded lights are better performers and/or a better value, please don't suggest them. The challenge here is to find good value lights for consumers. I'm not in the business of providing custom lights. I don't have the time, talent, desire, or motivation, and I don't want the liability or responsibility.

Last edited:

mike2g

Newly Enlightened
I know this is moving in a different direction but I was wondering how much light you will be needing. A small keychain light may be sufficient for finding your way around. These use small lithium coin batteries which can be stored for longer periods of time and are really cheap. If you want more runtime you can throw in a couple of extra batteries for a dollar.

Something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
I know this is moving in a different direction but I was wondering how much light you will be needing. A small keychain light may be sufficient for finding your way around. These use small lithium coin batteries which can be stored for longer periods of time and are really cheap. If you want more runtime you can throw in a couple of extra batteries for a dollar.

Something like this:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

Our drive to get these kits in cars was prompted by a recent incidents that a few of us experienced. I was in one of them, and although I had my trusty Arclight with me, I sure could have used more light, a lot more. Likewise the other episodes could have benefited from all the light available.

When one is looking for keys dropped on a theater floor, or checking out the menu in a dark restaurant a keychain light is great, when one's trying to figure out how to affix a makeshift tourniquet a keychain light is frustrating.

txmatt

Enlightened
I like the idea of having a headlight also. But I hate the idea of having AAAs. Any reasonably priced AA headights?

I'm not aware of any inexpensive LED AA headlamps, although there may be some. I've never been thrilled with the "idea" of AAA headlamps, but in practice I've never had any real complaints with the 4 or 5 I've owned. AAA's are readily available, too, and WalMart has Lithium AAA's and AA's. The main drawback I've always felt was shorter runtime than would be available with AA, but that River Rock headlamp has almost 6 hours of runtime on high with alkalines which would be even longer with Lithium. Because of the lower-power LED, even wimpy, capacity-challenged AAA's have runtimes sufficient for most purposes.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The customer service at DX wasn't great to begin with, but lately has really gone down the toilet.

If $20 is pushing it, I'd recommend a Mini-Mag with the Nite-Ize 3-LED lamp.

Average cost of the stock Mini-Mag at Target is $9. The lamp is only $5.

I have a handful of Mini-Mags modded like that, with the Nite-Ize tailcap switch as well. (But the switch is another $5. The lamp can be bought seperately).

For $14, you get a light you can depend on. It'll have enough brightness to let you see under the hood, or at the lug nuts on a tire. No telling how long an automobile emergency might last. The light has plenty of runtime, just in case. One of my Nite-Ize equipped Mini-Mags is part of a personal-sized emergency kit.

One aspect of an automobile emergency light often overlooked is, needing both hands to say, change a tire; and being the only one in the car. A smaller light that you can hold steady by popping it in your mouth, might prove more useful than a larger light that has to be held in one hand, or isn't shining in the right spot in tucked under your arm.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
The only prob with a CR123 in that application is that if the battery does croak - and it eventually will - it is much more difficult to find a replacement than would be an AA or whatever. You can find those at any Stop-n-Rob. Just something to consider.

That's a good point, but I still think lithium batteries are best for an emergency light.

First off Li primary batteries usually have much better shelf life than alkalines. Many batteries will supposedly only lose about 10% of their capacity after 10 years - a long time. The 10% figure is @ room temp.. so in the extreme environment of the trunk they may not hold up as well.

Lithium batteries also work better in extreme cold, at temperatures where alkaline batteries simply will not work. I live in Wi, so this alone means I use Li batteries.

If you're worried about battery availability, just purchase a case or two of the batteries you need.

txmatt

Enlightened
That's a good point, but I still think lithium batteries are best for an emergency light.

First off Li primary batteries usually have much better shelf life than alkalines. Many batteries will supposedly only lose about 10% of their capacity after 10 years - a long time. The 10% figure is @ room temp.. so in the extreme environment of the trunk they may not hold up as well.

Lithium batteries also work better in extreme cold, at temperatures where alkaline batteries simply will not work. I live in Wi, so this alone means I use Li batteries.

All of those reasons is why the AA format is so flexible. AA Lithium primaries provide all of those benfits PLUS the ability to swap in commonly available AA alkalines if needed.

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
The use of a headlamp is a good one, keeping both hands free. This is a result of having to hold/aim a flashlight towards the area of interest. What about the possible use of one of those diffusers to give you more of a "room light" effect
http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4083

I have never tried one, so I'm not sure how well they work. But if your choice was one of the DX or Kai lights, this would be a simple and cheap addition.

OceanView

Enlightened
As much as modded lights are better performers and/or a better value...I don't want the liability or responsibility.
Considering how hit-or-miss DX lights are in terms of QC or reliability, I'm surprised that you'd categorically reject something like a Minimag + Nite-ize (which is as hard to do as change the batteries) and embrace a DX light. Personally, I would rather entrust my own mother with a Minimag + Nite-ize than a DX light when it comes to an emergency, it-better-work-when-needed light.

I wouldn't choose DX lights unless I put at least two of them in each kit. I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm dead serious. Too many CPFers have posted about DX lights that just mysteriously die or act strangely after a short while for no reason to rely on them. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to just criticize DX because DX is a great source of cheap, bright lights for many flashaholics, but it certainly isn't a source of consistently reliable lights.

AntiDark

Newly Enlightened
Considering how hit-or-miss DX lights are in terms of QC or reliability, I'm surprised that you'd categorically reject something like a Minimag + Nite-ize (which is as hard to do as change the batteries) and embrace a DX light. Personally, I would rather entrust my own mother with a Minimag + Nite-ize than a DX light when it comes to an emergency, it-better-work-when-needed light.

I wouldn't choose DX lights unless I put at least two of them in each kit. I know that sounds sarcastic, but I'm dead serious. Too many CPFers have posted about DX lights that just mysteriously die or act strangely after a short while for no reason to rely on them. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to just criticize DX because DX is a great source of cheap, bright lights for many flashaholics, but it certainly isn't a source of consistently reliable lights.

Good info, thanks.

The reason I don't want the Mini-mag approach is that I don't have the time, resources or desire to be that deeply involved. I'm advising on what I'd like to see as a flashlight, and that will be the end of my involvement.

As mentioned the end users are typical consumers, many of them probably don't know which end of the battery is positive.

Whatever product is picked will be dropped in the kit as it's received from the vendor.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Here is what I though of.

How about getting those multi-packs of "multi-led 3 AA" lights?

like these. At these prices, you can have multi packs and cost you very little to stock them.

Goodluck.
Noob

sawlight

Enlightened
My .02.

Only a true flashaholic will go for the headlamp, even I don't really like them and I understand how usefull they can be!!!

The CR123 battery is a great idea, in theory, but most will cringe when they see the price for a replacment battery!!!!

So we are dealing with Joe homeowner, trying to make his/her life better if there is a problem on the road. They want cheap and reliable. Now how many gas stations sell 123 batteries? Not many I am thinking!!! But they will all have AA's, so lets keep that simple.
The Nighteze in a Mag, not really that impresed anymore, and it blows the budget!!!
Think Wal-Mart!!!!

This comes in:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8586474

I cannot find the one I bought, the sportsman extreme 3watt or something like that, it's been talked about on here berfore.
Really a pretty good light for around $18!! Good to go out of the box! Decently bright, better runtime than an incan, and uses two AA's, readily available!!!

Don't overthink something like this the K I S S principale is you're friend on his deal!!! Go LED, and something anyone can walk into the store and buy, because they might tell thier friends about this new liht they got!!

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
Currently I'm leaning towards the CPF PAL light. Its form factor, price, and performance seem ideal for our purposes. The only drawback I see is its lack of ability to accept lithium batteries. Despite that shortcoming, it may still get the nod.

I figure for most users a standard 9v is cheap and easy to replace. Maybe include a small notice suggesting they get in the routine of changing them when they change their smoke alarm batts, if they do.

As for me, I'll try modifying the batt well on mine to take Lithiums.

The big question is - Why didn't the designer spec the well large enough to allow for lithium batteries to begin with?

A corollary question is - Why don't battery manufacturers decrease the case size of 9v lithiums? They seem to crank out dozens of sizes of small lithium cells, is it that hard to shrink the 9v package a few mils?

Anyway - most likely go with the PAL - if only it acepted 9v lithiums...

Last edited:

OceanView

Enlightened
...most likely go with the PAL - if only it acepted 9v lithiums...
It doesn't take lithium 9V cells? I don't know myself, but this webpage for a 9V cell mentions the PALlight by name. Actually, it says that it is slightly smaller than an alkaline 9V.

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't take lithium 9V cells? I don't know myself, but this webpage for a 9V cell mentions the PALlight by name. Actually, it says that it is slightly smaller than an alkaline 9V.

On the size issue I was just going by some of the posts in the seller forum. IO do recall that some said there were a few 9v liths that did fit, I guess these fit the bill, or the PAL.

In that case maybe we will buy the PALs and a bunch of those batts to go with 'em.. Thanks for the pointer!

Decided to forgo th head lamps, but if we can agree on the PALs at least I managed to get reliable flashlights instead of the sure-to-fail-when-you-need-them-most crappolla.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Antidark, why not go with the Maglite LED 2AA (or 3AA)? Not as bright as other newer LED lights but tough enough and bright enough for emergency work. You don't need to modify it, you don't need to buy drop ins, jut get the stock MiniMag LEDs.

I am not against the lights form Kaidomain or Dealextreme, as a metter of fact I own some, but when it comes to emergency situations (whether life threatening or a flat tire) I would not hesitate to grab my MiniMag LED. I actually have it as a backup light in my emergency kit in both my vehicle and my wife's vehicle.

Since Surefires and Fenix, are out of your budget, I think the next best light for your kit is the Maglite LED. It's very reliable and has a descent amount of light output, it has been the 'go to' light (incan) of many truckers, LEO's and road travelers pre Surefire and Fenix era. And if you live in the United States you would be supporting It's economy by supporting it's products! :thumbsup:

By the way you might even get a bulk discount if you but it straight form the manufacturer.

Last edited:

anitdark

Newly Enlightened
I looked at them, but with a set of li-ion batts it would run about $30 each, 10x more than our original budget and 2x more than what I managed to squeeze out after a drawn out debate.

The PALs look like the way to go. I think their form is a bit more "friendly" to non gear heads, 9v is common, good performance, appear to be very reliable, the price is below budget even when a fresh li-ion is included (assuming the energizers fit).

loving light

Newly Enlightened
those pal lights are great,you might want to buy a few extra to keep in your house,glad that I could help,Joe

saildude

Newly Enlightened
I have both Streamlight's 2AA LED & 4AA Lux in my car using Eneloop cells with 4 spare cells. I made a bright orange pouch with a zipper to carry them, the pouch sits just inside the drivers door in that little space to the left of the seat mount. The 2AA Mag LED would be fine also - the advantage of the Mag is everyone knows what they look like. I like the Streamlight bright yellow non-metallic case.

I like the AA battery size because they can be found anywhere - all light gifts use the AA cells for that reason. I have a friend that got some fancy flashlight with cr123 cells I think - it sits in a corner since he tried to by new cells for it and found them at like $ 5-- each.

mb