Backup lamp options

Status
Not open for further replies.

HB021

Newly Enlightened
Blue is not a "color temperature", and the lights on your car are life safety equipment, not fashion toys.

There is no offense, there is only the requirement that you stop recommending illegal car lights. Now.

Okay alright I'm sorry 6000kelvin was what I meant, not blue. To some people cars are fashion toys.

Man you are stiff, okay I will stop recommending illegal car lights(as I already said by now) and I will go read the rules thoroughly now.

c southers

Newly Enlightened
check out some of the truck stops they have led bulbs 4 cars trucks or led bulbs.com

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I'm going to repeat my suggestion of adding auxiliary backup lights.

I'll let you know what I think of the Raybrig R118 bulbs when I get them. I'm not sure where to find a light meter (I remember when all photographers carried one, but that just makes me a dinosaur), but I should at least be able to install one of them and take a comparison picture.

HB021, by now you've figured out the deal:

1. There's a rule against recommending anything illegal (probably to limit any possible liability for the forum, and just because illegal mods often lead to trouble), and this forum is serious about it.

2. If it doesn't meet the applicable federal and state standards and you hang it on a car then drive on a public road, it's illegal. I can (and do) hang any sort of big honking flood lights on the back of my old 1-ton International brush truck and use them offroad in the woods at night, but they're a no-no on a public road (in fact, I'm not sure that just having them installed isn't a no-no, though I sure see a lot of guys with a pair of "tractor floods" under the rear bumper). I know, I know, you see lots of illegal stuff all over the place. But this forum says don't recommend it. Period.

Frankly, I like to talk about anything at all to do with lighting (I collect kerosene lamps and Dad still has gas lights in the house), but the rule here is not to advocate the illegal stuff.

As a side note: This forum is generally more concerned with function than style. Human eyes evolved to see better by yellow-white light, not blue-white. People here are aware that bluish light does not help you see better and it irritates other drivers. Often, it's accomplished by blue coatings on bulbs, which block much of the red/orange/yellow light, creating a blue-white light that you may perceive as "whiter," but is actually less light. Coatings always reduce light to some degree.

Back to original issue, backup lights: Cibie used to sell some nice little rectangular auxiliary backup lights that used the 1156 bulb. In more recent years, I've even picked up a set of Peterson small rectangular halogen backup lights (was using a mounting location where typical tractor floods would be too tall). Of course, when you walk into a big box store and grab a set of those, you don't really know if they are type approved as backup lights. Many such are sold as "work lights" or "flood lights."

I've sometimes said that aux backup lights was one application where you could put a cheap set of fogs to work. Don't buy cheap fog lights to start with, but if you have some and want them to be useful -- if they actually make the wide flat fog pattern but it's just not clean enough for use in heavy fog, they'll probably make decent backup lights (if they're white; if they're yellow, they'd probably make super hazard flashers but wouldn't be type approved).

I find myself recalling my old 1978 Saab 99 turbo. It had backup lights on all four corners. I wish I knew if small backup lights on the front corners, that shine back and to the sides, would be legal on other cars. They sure were nice for parallel parking.

BTW, speaking of "truck stop bulbs," I've seen a lot of odd bulbs at big truck stops. I've long thought that if you carry spare bulbs (say you use 1157 brake/tail bulbs) you might carry Natural Amber spares (1157NA) in case you crack a lens. At least you wouldn't be putting out white light on the back. I think you could even find red 1157 or 3157 bulbs at some of those truck stops. I'm not advocating them for general use, but I wonder if a colored spare might not be a great "get home" bulb if you break a lens on the road. It's illegal to show white light to the rear when moving forward.

For your amusement, and so you know we feel the same about some things

Last edited by a moderator:

iroc409

Newly Enlightened
Not here apparently, I do in most other places though. This wasn't really the reaction I expected...

The problem is like Scheinwerfermann said. It's a safety feature of the car, and most people really don't think about lights as a safety feature. I rank it right alongside tires and brakes as the most important safety gear on a vehicle.

The car forums usually don't have resident lighting experts like we do here, and have a lot of people doing unsafe things because it looks cool. Many I've seen even acknowledge the problems with PNP kits but say "I don't care about the other guy, I can see better (so they think)". It's not really worth increasing your likelihood of having an accident, or causing someone else to have one, due to confusing lighting.

I love hot rods and show cars, and there are a lot of things you can do to a vehicle to make it unique without making it unsafe.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
check out some of the truck stops they have led bulbs 4 cars trucks or led bulbs.com

You need to pay better attention. The lighting modifications/products you're asking about or recommending are illegal. Rule 11 of this board prohibits advocating illegal activity.

Qship1996

Enlightened
...for longer lifespan. Ten thousand hours instead of three hundred hours. Same light output.

Thats a HUGE, HUGE, did I say HUGE difference in lifespan........any downside to go along with it???? I saw these zenon 921 bulbs at Lowes the other day, almost picked one up to try in my CHMSL, as it seems I am replacing the bulbs in it about every 18 months or so. Lowas had them for $4.xx per bulb, FEIT was the brand if I recall.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
...for longer lifespan. Ten thousand hours instead of three hundred hours. Same light output.

Thats a HUGE, HUGE, did I say HUGE difference in lifespan........any downside to go along with it???? I saw these zenon 921 bulbs at Lowes the other day, almost picked one up to try in my CHMSL, as it seems I am replacing the bulbs in it about every 18 months or so. Lowas had them for $4.xx per bulb, FEIT was the brand if I recall.

But-but-but you save .01A per bulb! :)

QShip -- The problem you are having could be poor vibration control. My Corolla uses the 921 for the CHMSL and for the reverse lamps; I've replaced one reverse lamp but not the CHMSL bulb.

The bulb's filament will start to degrade, and other failure will probably occur before the 10,000 hour lifetime is reached.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
921X is commonly used in LV landscaping lights. The kind you pick up at Lowes (for example) and place at intervals along your front walk. They're also used in incandescent undercounter lights and other such applications.

Qship1996

Enlightened
921X is commonly used in LV landscaping lights. The kind you pick up at Lowes (for example) and place at intervals along your front walk. They're also used in incandescent undercounter lights and other such applications.

So would that bulb from Lowes by OK to use in my CHMSL, or should I shop the "automotive" world for one? My CHMSL shouldnt be subject to too much vibration, as it is mounted on the rear deck inside the car {a smooth riding, heavy q45}

mikered30

Newly Enlightened
After reading around I ended up with the Raybrig R118, I would be interested in what Hamilton Felix thinks of his bulbs. Side by side showed the Raybrig as brighter, but my old 921 bulbs were old.

budynabuick

Enlightened
well spoken. BtW, I like the brand quote. Yes, we must not give "anyone" the opprotunity to shut this forum down. Mods are "on the ball". That is why it is good to read the rules. OTOH, I did no tknow it was illegal to put led"s for back up.

Keith Who likes to keep it legal....... when someone's watching:devil: hehe

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I did no tknow it was illegal to put led"s for back up.

It is illegal to modify any of a motor vehicle's required lighting equipment in any manner that takes it out of compliance with applicable technical and legal standards. The burden of proof of compliance is on whoever manufactures, imports, installs, or modifies the equipment; "you can't prove it doesn't meet the standard" is not how it works. This is the case whether we're talking about the U.S./Canada regulations or the European ECE/rest-of-the-world rules. Moreover, it is illegal to modify a vehicle in any manner that interferes with the required performance of any mandatory item of safety equipment. That means extra add-on lights are illegal if they block any of the view of a required light, or that mask or ambiguate the message from any required light. It is also illegal to have lights that do not meet the color requirements for their function. Reversing lights have to be white, not blue, for example. Colors, like all other aspects of design, construction, and performance of vehicle lights, are technically and legally defined in great detail; they are not a matter of subjective impression.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
That means extra add-on lights are illegal if they block any of the view of a required light, or that mask or ambiguate the message from any required light

This is why, when I built a motorcycle carrier that fit the receiver hitch (see "VersaHaul," then build your own version for 1/5 the price), on my Suburban, I realized with the bike aboard it might partially block the tail lights. So I bought tail lights and signals, installed them on the carrier, and used my trailer connection. If I added something that blocked a light, I'd be asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.