Battle in the woods II: SR51 vs. Firefox I vs. Fire Fox III

Thatspec

Enlightened
Well I've found where to but one from inside China, just need some help with Chinese/English translation. $205 approx. not sure about shipping. PM me if you'd like more info or can help with the translation. Appreciate all the effort you've put into this ma sha1.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've found where to but one from inside China, just need some help with Chinese/English translation. $205 approx. not sure about shipping. PM me if you'd like more info or can help with the translation. Appreciate all the effort you've put into this ma sha1.

Saw your thread about TaoBao, that's not what I am talking abut. To save you from digging deep into a dead end: Taobao people don't ship to outside of China, translation isn't going to help you. Plus, Taobao exchange rate RMB to US$ is 5.3 (not street rate 6.2 ) which translate to $236, plus air shipping cost to USA about $50, making total cost about $286. That cost means nothing, as I don't think you'll be able to get one directly out of China. Unless some dealer takes on US market, the group buy is your best bet, it's a US based group buy, a few dollar lass than $286. To add insult to injury, Taobao doesn't accept paypal or foreign credit cards...

Last edited:

Thatspec

Enlightened
Appreciate all the research you've done thus far ma_sha1. It's been fun reading through the shoudian forum about it too, the translations are hilarious as always with Google translate. If nothing else I found a cool animated gif avatar. Looking forward to hearing more about how things are running with the header wrap as heat shield. Hopefully you're getting improved run time on high after it was put back together:thumbsup:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, just google it.

Appreciate all the research you've done thus far ma_sha1. It's been fun reading through the shoudian forum about it too, the translations are hilarious as always with Google translate. If nothing else I found a cool animated gif avatar. Looking forward to hearing more about how things are running with the header wrap as heat shield. Hopefully you're getting improved run time on high after it was put back together
thumbsup.gif

I saw that you found the group buy & throw your name in the hat, congratulations!

I heard rumor on 100W Firefox, I think it's just rumor but non the less, who knows what FF4 would be? :naughty:. One thing for sure, made in China can be industry leading some times...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Gosh ma_sha1, next time you'll know to put group buy instructions in your sig line before opening this thread with beamshots. :laughing:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, I guess I have a flaw of speaking the obvious some times.
"Say hello to my little friend!"
automatic_weapon-2433.gif

FF 3 with his little led brother: Triple 219 Mag Zero D.
scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my Production version of FF3 in the mail today:

Left - Production FF3; Right - Pre-production FF3
scaled.php

I got the production version to see if there's any improvements made over the pre-production unit. Ansolutely not!

1. Ballast noise. It's as noisy as my pre-production unit before the mod, comparing the two side by side, my mod cut the noise down more than half.

2. Components. I looked everywhere, can not see any difference what's soever.

3. Performance:
Visually: no difference can be observed.
Measurements:
Production Unit -
Ceiling bounce 465/Throw 215,000 lux@ 1 meter
Pre-production unit -

ceiling bounce 505/Throw 225 lux@ 1 meter.

The pre-production unit has slightly better performance but that could simply be light-to-light component variations or minor variation in focus.

I put the production unit FS on CPFMP, got it for review, never intended to keep two:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-III-HID-Pocket-Monster&p=4654168#post4654168

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant wait to receive mine, it looks like the units have started to arrive for the group buy :)

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all your great work here ma_sha1 ;)A beamshot, lux readings and maybe a ceiling bounce reading of the 24w mode would be very useful (for everyone here I think) because this is how the light will probably be running most of the time. How long does it need approximately to cool down completely after the 8min on high?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! After the thermo mod, I run about 15 min & it still didn't kick-down to 24W.

I shut it off, as the battery got really hot. I am wondering if it'll be better to run this light on high current/lower internal resistance IMR battery such as panasonic CGR instead.

I mixed one 2200mah CGR with 3 3100mah NCR18650a, after a short run, I took a measurement, every battery went down to the sane 3.8V. There is no difference on the initial capacity, I know CGR has less capacity but that's down at the low end, initially, the advantage is runs cooler with lower internal resistance.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Ma, do your CGR's have the "too short" label at the very end on the negative end so that about 1/32" or so of the metal case is exposed? This gave me dead short problems in the Magic scorpion as soon as that exposed case on the first two batteries hit the flashlight body going in.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked my CGR 18650AF, it does have a small exposed section at bottom,
I agree, this isn't a good battery to use!

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm looking for some extra thin wall shrink tubing and will try cutting the label off and re-shrinking. Standard shrink tube is way too think.

The recovered label wall thickness is about .002 so I'd guess we're looking for .003 wall thickness or thinner. Not immediately found. Will keep looking.

Battery pack shrink wrap - .005". Will probably work fine.

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realized that I have not announced the winner yet, the LED thrower of the same size is obviously not in the same league of the HIDs, but I am struggling between who is the winner between FF1 & FF3.

Here is my attempt of trying to use Motor Trend method for cars: scale is 1-10.

1. Performance
Obviously, FF3 Wins, FF3 gets a 10. FF1 get 8. Sure FF3 blow away FF1, but FF1 is 100K & over 2000 lumens, similar to most 35W HIDs, which is plenty bright for most outdoor use. Think of it as SR90 or ebay HID but 1/3 the size, something just as powerful but doesn't need to be a weight lifter to carry it around.

I prefer the beam profile of FF1, has a broad far projection beam but doesn't light up the ground excessively like the FF3. I wish the FF3 came with SMO. the beam of FF1 in SMO is nearly perfect, FF3 has perfect beam with 225 klux, but the light has potential to get over 300 klux with high quality SMO. I felt that they took the easy way out using OP at the expense of throw.

2. Comfort in holding
Both are very lite, The FF1 gets a 10, it's slimmest 35W HID & most comfortable for my hand. FF3 gets a 9, its fatter like the FF2, but very short some how made it
easier to hold, otherwise would have been an 8.

3. Workmanship
FF1 gets a 10. I can't not find anything to nitpick about.
FF3 gets a 9, everything is perfect except the annoying ballast whine. I wonder if commercialization time line is to blame. The FF1 was DIY, where the inventor Shinetop spend countless hours to make it perfect. I don't think he would have let it out the door if the ballast noise was in FF1 like this.

4. Historical significance & value

FF1 is unobtanium. FF3 is commercially available. I would put higher valuation on FF1. FF1 was a revolution. FF3 is more powerful & smaller but it's an evolution. being an evolution & the ballast is obviously 2-mode, I feel that it should have provided user selectable mode, so I could use 24W for most situations & runs cooler, then select 42W show-off mode as needed. FF3 gets a 9, FF1 gets a 10.

5. Run time,
Both about 1hr with panasonic 3100, both get a 9.
FF1 runs cool, FF3 runs hot, to the point I am worried about battery blowing up. I don't think it will, just the feeling you get holding 4 18650 in your hand & the tube it gets burning hot. I must mention that my modified FF3 seem to run a little cooler than the production unit.

FF1 Total: 37 points out of 50.
FF3 Total: 36 points out of 50.

The FF1 won by a hair. The bottom line is, If I had to walk in the woods for an hour in the dark, I am more likely to take FF1 with me instead of FF3. But If I don't have the FF1, I'll take the FF3 which is a better choice for me than just anout any other HIDs.

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the review... i agree it would be nice to have a 2 mode option, low 24watt and high 42 watt rather than having to wait for it to get smoldering hot and step down.... 24w for everyday use, 42w for the OMG factor

either way cant wait till the ff3s ship out from LIPS for the GB

Patriot

Flashaholic
Seems like a really fair assessment ma_sha and I like the Motor Tread scale of performance and value.

Amazing to think that the FF3 gets that hot but with high quality cells I guess that takes some of the worry out, as they should have thermal protection.

I would have been more interested had the FF3 used a SMO reflector as well but obviously this doesn't take away from its utility. 100K is still impressive for the size.

Latest posts