best AAA nimh batteries?

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
For those that aren't doing this, I think you'll have the best luck with AAA's in the C-9000 if you charge them at 500ma, instead of the default 1 amp setting...
:thinking:
  • Why would anyone KNOWINGLY charge 800mAh AAAs @ 1000mA (1.25C) on a C9000? :poof:
  • Why even consider charging 800mAh AAAs @ 500mA (0.625C)?
    (*ESPECIALLY* on a C9000 with it's FIXED "100mA for 2 Hours Top Off") :devil:
  • If you own the 'practically ultimately variable' (by 100mA ;) ) C9000, why wouldn't you charge 800mAh AAAs @ 400mA (0.5C) OR LESS (depending on the heat developed)? :cool:
:popcorn:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
Re: Newbie 'Questions & Answers'...

...I don't care what everyone around here says about you.......you're alright in my book. :naughty:
I have a *VASTLY* different 'perspective' of public forums compared to the majority of forum participants - I see:
  • (The majority of) *MY* replies as 'Database Entries', i.e.
    • Timeless...
    • Constructed as "Complete-as-Possible" answers with SEARCHABLE titles
    • Taking substantial TIME (from several minutes up to over an hour) to compose
  • (The majority of) *OTHERS* replies as 'Blog Entries', i.e.
    • Momentary...
    • Constructed as (usually) "Incomplete" answers with (usually) NON-SEARCHABLE titles
    • Taking minimal TIME (a few minutes) to compose
Thus, my personal choice for spending (sometimes HOURS! :eek: ) FORMATTING, proofreading, etc...
For example:
*ALL* of my LINKs are TAGGED (TEXT plus URL) vs RAW (URL only)
- *IF* the URL ever changes (due to a database error or forum software upgrade/change), the FUTURE user can *ALWAYS* still SEARCH on the TEXT of the original post's title. ;)

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened

I have a *VASTLY* different 'perspective' of public forums compared to the majority of forum participants - I see:
    • Momentary...
    • Constructed as (usually) "Incomplete" answers with (usually) NON-SEARCHABLE titles
As an "other" I do it the "other" way because I see myself wanting to take part in a discussion forum, not be a contributing writer to an online encyclopaedia. Different stokes I guess.

shark_za

Enlightened
The biggest problem with the anus carrota method is the assumption you are 100% correct and definitive on the subject.
The rest of us just give inputs and allow the interactive questioner to make his/her own mind up.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened

---SNIP--- (If you're going to QUOTE someone, at least insert a "---SNIP---" in the portions you INTENTIONALLY omit! :huh2: )
    • Momentary...
Thus, my personal choice for spending (sometimes HOURS! :eek: ) FORMATTING, proofreading, etc...
For example:
*ALL* of my LINKs are TAGGED (TEXT plus URL) vs RAW (URL only)
- *IF* the URL ever changes (due to a database error or forum software upgrade/change), the FUTURE user can *ALWAYS* still SEARCH on the TEXT of the original post's title. ;)

As an "other" I do it the "other" way because I see myself wanting to take part in a discussion forum, not be a contributing writer to an online encyclopaedia. Different stokes I guess.
Yep. It all depends on the EFFORT *YOU* wish to expend...

BLOG vs DATABASE...

Now, I'm not saying *ALL* BLOG-type entries are incomplete; nor am I saying *ALL* DATABASE-type entries are complete; I'm just saying "What I Do..."

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

TTA, is that last database entry incomplete without you quoting someone quoting you? Does it really need to be there?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
The rest of us just give inputs and allow the interactive questioner to make his/her own mind up.
That, to me, is the most effective way that any issue can be fully explored and to my mind is the whole raison d'etre for "forums".

And for what it's worth I have had very acceptable performance from my Imedion AAA's and charge them at 700 on my Maha. I'd rather miss a little cycle life than have them miss a termination.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
The biggest problem with the anus carrota method is the assumption you are 100% correct and definitive on the subject...
Since GOOGLE: "anus carrota"

found *NO* entries, I'm going to 'ASSUME' you posted that as an insult. :( [CPF management frowns on personal attacks...]

...The rest of us just give inputs and allow the interactive questioner to make his/her own mind up.
Poor "Interactive Questioner" - should s/he believe "Joe Blow" or "Joe Know"? :confused: - How do they pick / determine who's who??? :eek:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened

TTA, is that last database entry incomplete without you quoting someone quoting you? Does it really need to be there?
When you QUOTE someone, either QUOTE them *COMPLETELY* or indicate any portions that you've intentionally omitted. Otherwise, you're (possibly) presenting their original statements "Out of Context"...

"Quality" vs "Quantity"... Where do YOU stand? :poke:

Bat_Deals_99

Newly Enlightened
I have been using Lenmar R2G Batteries for the last 2 years.
I was hesitant at first and only purchased a 4 pack of AA and AAA batteries.

I first tested them out with the BC900 and actually received batteries that have a higher capacity then posted on packaging.

After using the batteries I would recommend them.
Batteries stay charged for a long period of time and don't break the wallet.
AA Batteries 2150mAh | Tested 2245mAh
AAA Batteries 850mAh | Tested 1250mAh

I picked mine up at thomasdistributing.com for a low price.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...g+batteries&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:
  • Why would anyone KNOWINGLY charge 800mAh AAAs @ 1000mA (1.25C) on a C9000? :poof:
  • Why even consider charging 800mAh AAAs @ 500mA (0.625C)?
    (*ESPECIALLY* on a C9000 with it's FIXED "100mA for 2 Hours Top Off") :devil:
  • If you own the 'practically ultimately variable' (by 100mA ;) ) C9000, why wouldn't you charge 800mAh AAAs @ 400mA (0.5C) OR LESS (depending on the heat developed)? :cool:
:popcorn:

The first time I charged them, I left it on the default setting, not realizing I was charging the AAA batteries at well over 1C. I thought I'd mention it because sometimes people make mistakes like that.

Egsise

Banned
I have been using Lenmar R2G Batteries for the last 2 years.
I was hesitant at first and only purchased a 4 pack of AA and AAA batteries.

I first tested them out with the BC900 and actually received batteries that have a higher capacity then posted on packaging.

After using the batteries I would recommend them.
Batteries stay charged for a long period of time and don't break the wallet.

I picked mine up at thomasdistributing.com for a low price.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/s...g+batteries&osCsid=a98rm8a91donrsllit8gi3gna7
Welcome to CPF, and congratulations, no rechargeable AAA cell can go that high.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard the BC900 gives higher figures than the MH-C9000 but that's a bit too high. Is it the charge capacity, not the discharge capacity?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think I've ever seen or heard of an AAA cell that tested above 1000mAh. That 1250mAh figure has got to be off somehow.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
...I first tested them out with the BC900 and actually received batteries that have a higher capacity then posted on packaging...

Being a "Newbie", are you possibly confusing La Crosse BC-700 / BC-900 / BC-9009 ACCUMULATED Capacity with DISCHARGE Capacity? :sssh:

You can RTFM, or do a GOOGLE SEARCH (CPF Only) on accumulated discharge capacity taketheactive ;)

:welcome: CLICK on my Sig Line LINK for LOTs of useful, informative "Newbie" LINKs. :)

Last edited:

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
The first time I charged them, I left it on the default setting, not realizing I was charging the AAA batteries at well over 1C...

For those that aren't doing this, I think you'll have the best luck with AAA's in the C-9000 if you charge them at 500ma, instead of the default 1 amp setting...
And I'm pointing out that "...on a C9000 with it's FIXED "100mA for 2 Hours Top Off"...", even 500mA may be a bit high and users should START OFF with 400mA (0.5C) and check the amount of HEAT developed towards the end of the charge.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sony "CycleEnergy" smart charger that charges batteries in the two AAA channels @ 640mA per channel so I figured that 500mA on the C9000 shouldn't be a problem for quality AAA cells.

TakeTheActive

Enlightened
I have a Sony "CycleEnergy" smart charger that charges batteries in the two AAA channels @ 640mA per channel so I figured that 500mA on the C9000 shouldn't be a problem for quality AAA cells.
640mA -> Trickle != 500mA -> 100mA for 2 hours -> Trickle :eek:

The point I'm making is that AFTER the completion of a 500mA (0.625C) charge, on the C9000 there's a MANDATORY 100mA (0.125C) charge for 2 hours that folks in the CPF Archives have stated COULD continue to heat the cell.

The goal is to recharge the cell without OVERCHARGING (i.e. proper termination) *AND* without OVERHEATING (i.e. proper current selection).

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
640mA -> Trickle != 500mA -> 100mA for 2 hours -> Trickle :eek:

The point I'm making is that AFTER the completion of a 500mA (0.625C) charge, on the C9000 there's a MANDATORY 100mA (0.125C) charge for 2 hours that folks in the CPF Archives have stated COULD continue to heat the cell.

The goal is to recharge the cell without OVERCHARGING (i.e. proper termination) *AND* without OVERHEATING (i.e. proper current selection).

In the break-in mode if you set the cell to 1000mAh, you basically get the same effect for many hours after the cell is fully charged. I did set it to 900mAh when I did the break-in mode on the new AAA Rayovac platinum cells. When it was overcharging the cells at 90mA for all those hours I observed no heat buildup to speak of.

Oh, and they all registered 760-790mAh, so I'll probably set it to 800mAh next time I do a break-in mode with those cells.