Best "cheapy" for the wife...

ryaxnb

Newly Enlightened
Maybe we Fenix e05 or quark mini aa would be appropriate.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using Tapatalk

menoceros

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the ITP A3 EOS. Go to "Shining Beam" and get their upgraded model for about $21. Three levels very low, med, and high. Very small and sturdy. My wife keeps hers in her purse and loves it. I use LSD NiMh batteries in it but she carries an Energizer Lithium for a spare if it goes out.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too suggest the Microstream. It's a little smaller than the Stylus Pro, which means taking up less room in the purse. I EDCd mine for a couple of years until I apparently made it mad and it ran away and hid on me. I've been waiting to replace it until the new version starts shipping (same lumens, longer runtime). I just got my notice that LAPG has FINALLY gotten the ProTac EMS in so will hopefully get mine in a few days. I think I will like it, but it would probably be more complicated than she would want. I will let you all know my first impressions after it gets here.

Ishango

Enlightened
My gf carries a E01 on her keys and an eGear Pico light attached to the zipper of her bag. Both are excellent lights for incidental use. A Photon MicroLight or something like it will do nicely as well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
These streamlight nano-lights are very popular... and I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. They are direct driven with button cells, so there are some pros and cons associated.

Streamlight_Pink_Nano_Light.jpg

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife uses, and is quite happy with, an Ultrafore C3 Stainless Steel. Decent output, the SS is tough (she's quite rough on things) and doesn't look too shabby either. Not bad for ~$20

I keep a protected 14500 in it.

+1... on the C3 SS... My girl rarely uses her light and it just sits in a pocket in her purse. I keep L91s in it. It works when she does use it and she thinks it's the coolest flashlight ever... so... I can't complain! :D

Napalm

Enlightened
Treat your wife with "cheapies" and that's exactly what you'll get back (or worse)... C'mon, find some stylish stainless steel AAA and impress her.

Nap.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
These streamlight nano-lights are very popular... and I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet. They are direct driven with button cells, so there are some pros and cons associated.

I liked the small size and bright pink colour, but was less impressed when the heads kept falling off due to loose threads (I have several, all with the same issue). Those teeny batteries are difficult to find when they are scattered all over the floor.

IcantC

Enlightened
I don't know about your wife, but a few points.

Most women will not want to actively carry a light or deal with one. Easiest solution?

Something small that attaches to the keys and is small(aa or aaa). That way she will always carry it.

I got my wife a purple E01 and she carries it on her keys everywhere. I use lithium batteries and they last. My old e0 is running strong on a energizer lithium aaa for over 3 years now.

I do want to get her something slightly brighter, contemplated the itp eos aaa.

AaronG

Enlightened
+1 for the Fenix E05. My Dad loves his and I've got another one in the mail for my father in law. Nice floody beam for EDC tasks, long runtime and Fenix reliability.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
No disrespect intended to any of you but I don't think I should have a 800lm light and then give my wife a E01 barely able to light up her path, she is not a flashaholic and could care less than it runs for 10hrs, she just wants bright easy to use light and expects me to manage her battery situation. I've been down that road and she was not impressed so in the dark she would just walk beside me dependent on my light and not bothering with her own.

I changed the E01 on her keychain to a E05 with a lithium and bingo she light's up the dark on her own, I also put a P2D in her purse and she occasionally uses it but the E05 gets the most use. I've been thinking about changing the P2D to something in the 1xAA light but I'm not sure what to give her.

The deal with the PD2 is she only pulls it out when she need lots of light so I have the head tight to max output but she does not like the heat on extended usage and I don't want to loosen the bezel because then that would defeat the purpose, she don't like twisting a simple off and on has to do.

I'm glad this thread came up I have been meaning to revisit what she carry's in her purse but I've just been putting it off, I'm thought of giving her my Quark AA Tactical and maybe program it to max with Energizer lithium's but I've always used 14500 so I don't know if it gets hot with Energizer lithium's set to max. I guess I'm off to do some testing or look for something else.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
I liked the small size and bright pink colour, but was less impressed when the heads kept falling off due to loose threads (I have several, all with the same issue). Those teeny batteries are difficult to find when they are scattered all over the floor.

I was on Amazon reading reviews on this light-here is what ibe person suggested to resolve the head falling off and changing batts. 'plumbers tape' for the head. and the batts:

I came up with is for all of you that have trouble loading this flashlight up with batteries. Next time, try this. When you are ready to change the batteries, carefully open the flashlight with the keychain clip facing down. Unscrew the cap (with the led in it), and set to the side. Now take the half with the keychain clip on it, with the old batteries still inside, and place it upside down on a counter top or desk top surface. Next, very carefully lift that half of the flashlight STRAIGHT UP, so that all the batteries are stacked on top of each other. This will now show you the direction in which you will now make a similar stack of batteries with 4 NEW BATTERIES. NOW, place that same half of the flashlight over the stack of new batteries and go STRAIGHT DOWN with it until it is completely over ALL the batteries (now inside the flashlight half). Carefully slide the flashlight half with the batteries inside over to the edge of the counter top or desk top, keeping the flashlight half straight up. Only allow that flashlight part to get just to the edge not past it, and now place your finger by that edge so that you can slide the flashlight half over the edge and onto your your finger. You should now have the flashlight half with the batteries inside and the batteries held in there with your fingertip. Now screw on the other half of the flashlight to it and THERE YA GO!! :)

I'll get one of these for the wifey. Yesterday afternoon she was talking "Well, I have plenty of those c-cells around the house so don't need anything super-duper..." [[Those plastic 2C's in pink, blue, yellow you see at Wally World]].

OK.

Then I reminded here of us going into old buildings and sucj and her trips to Gettysburg [[she is a re-enactor]] and how dark 'dem dere woods can be when one needs to go pee or find the truck. DING!

Now, I'm looking for a better light for myself and the Olight M20S R5 seems to fit the bill for my needs so likely I'll give her my Coleman Max-nice and bright so even my bad eyes can use it for near everything. The dad got it at Home Depot for about $30. Cheao? Sure but tough enough to go out on photo trips with me and keep running after getting wet and banged around a bit in my vest.

I'm enjoying learning about lights but I'll never be a lightaholic. Can't afford it so I need to find what will work for me and sometimes the KISS principle applies [[Keep it Simple Stupid or 'Sir' depending on their rank.]] So for a purse/pocket the nao seems to fit. A little larger? My Coleman works and for a few steps up I'm going with the Olight M20S R5 or comparable.

Might think about that with your wife... KISS.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
It may have been mentioned and I missed it but... how about giving her a light from your collection. I'd bet you have something floating around that will work for her and you would be happy to see it used.Thats what I did with the pocket knives my wife and kids have. I picked something from my stash for what they were gonna use it for.

Thedugger

Newly Enlightened
I would say the Fenix PD31 is a great choice. It's small and has lots of features. The 2 lumen feature is perfect for reading maps and looking into bags and things for lost items. There is even a strobe and SOS feature.
Hope this helps.
Doug

ericjohn

Enlightened
My suggestion would be a 2AAA Mini Maglite penlight. It costs less that $10 at Sears Hardware, and it is American Made.

The model has been around as long as I have (since 1987).

I know this is a decent flashlights because I own several of them in my collection.

The only draw back is that the bi pin bulb is a vaccum bulb, and not a Krypton or Xenon bulb like it's 2AA Mini Maglite Counterpart. This means that the bulb will grow dimmer with use, regardless of how fresh your batteries are.

However, if she only keeps it in her purse only uses it from time to time I don't think it will be an issue.

PS I bought one for my wife, to keep in her purse. (She is also born in 1987.)

pounder

Newly Enlightened
my wife snagged my ultrafire C3 and carries it in her purse..there's a protected 14500 in it..everytime I offer to get her something better she says no..she likes it and it works fine..I don't know what it is with her..but she really likes it..so I would recommend a c3 for your wife out of experience lol

slowxturtle

Newly Enlightened
My vote is for the Streamlight Stylus Pro. It now comes with a Cree C4 led with 48 lumens. I just got one for a friend. It was $20 shipped from Amazon. The info on Amazon described the 24 lumen one, but what came shipped was the newer 48 lumen light. I didn't even know it was updated until I received it. I also got the Streamlight Microstream for myself which was 20 lumens. I use it as my EDC and it works great. Just enough light to be useful and small enough for me to want to carry. Since your wife has a purse to carry the light in, she should get the Stylus Pro.

Latest posts