Best "cheapy" for the wife...

Vesper

Enlightened
Fenix E01 or E05.

It's tiny + go with the lithium AAA. You want to give her something small and simple she can tuck away and it stays out of the way.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
my wife snagged my ultrafire C3 and carries it in her purse..there's a protected 14500 in it..everytime I offer to get her something better she says no..she likes it and it works fine..I don't know what it is with her..but she really likes it..so I would recommend a c3 for your wife out of experience lol

I know what you mean... The women-folk do seem to like that light. I've tried to offer upgrades, but she's adamant about keeping the C3. I think she digs the stainless and I know she hates twisties... I suppose it's time to start looking for a QUALITY SS AA/AAA clicky...

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
my experience is that women tend to prefer clickies, and fairly simple. Though given a choice between and ugly clicky and a pretty twisty, they tend to take the twisty. The clicky preon's I have given away have been HUGE hits, as have the ITP A3's I have given out. Last Xmas I gave out a bunch of lights, letting them choose which lights they wanted, and the Preon 2 and ITP A3's were by far the most popular, over ITP A2's in black, or quark MiNis. Sure the Preon's aren't the cheepest choice, but they are really nice for a purse light.
One thing I have definitely noticed, is that women don't want something that you wouldn't consider a decent choice for yourself. If you are packing a 150+ lumen light, and you give them a 10 lumen light, they wont be happy. But if you give them a 80 lumen light that looks nice and works well, they will be very happy.

Samy

Enlightened
What about a Klarus X6 or a 4Sevens Revo in stainless steel? They both do a whopping 80+ lumens and only need 1xAAA and go on the keychain so they are always there.

My wife carries a Quark AA with Tactical UI (for simplicity) in it's holster, in her handbag. It doesn't take up hardly any room and she's got over 100 lumens ready to go from a single AA. It's very small, but super bright so she can light up street numbers while driving down the street if she needs to. Plus i kind of think she likes the black tactical look of the light.

cheers

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
:shakeheadThis is an interesting thread. I've been reading it with interest and have been replacing the word "wife" with "kiddos". See, my kiddos love my McGizmos and my (38DD - so much so that it is missing . . at the moment). the problem is that they "blind" themselves too often and have some fear. AND, they be onery with each other and "blind" on purpose. :poke: ARGH. I've tried the Streamlight nano, and as mentioned above, the little batteries are way too difficult to manage if one of them hits the floor. We've also tried the other little keychain one with the exposed LED part. That didn't work for a variety of reasons. We have a Fenix 01 and they don't want to use it because it is 'crap light'. Nice. That is their description of the tint and the low output. I like it because they cannot blind each other with it and they have not hurt it or lost it yet. I will try the suggested batteries on it and see if that makes it a little brighter. . . I'm wondering if the batteries you've all suggested, Lithium, are inherently okay for the kiddos to be using. . . in whatever manner they might. . . lights have been frozen in OJ, "just to see what would happen". (the light was fine. . . smelled for some time, but worked okay after) and other unimaginable things. We're past the eating of the batteries stage, although, they may still lick them. . . :shakehead
I will keep watching this thread and will strongly consider the suggestions not for the wife, but for the kids. It is awesome to me that they are interested in my hobby and I want to foster that interest , but in a safe way. . . they are kids afterall.
If this should be moved to a different thread, please do so. I didn't mean to hijack. I reasoned that the info is the same in terms of usefulness, at least to me! I'd be reading it anyway. . . You guys rock!

GunnarGG

Enlightened
There is a Streamlight Nano on my keyring but you have to admit it: It has a pretty dim and ugly beam. I don't have a E01 but I guess it's about the same.

I gave my girlfrind a E05 with a lithium AAA.
It has the "right" amount of light and a nice beam and tint. Doesn't take up any space.
Of course, even wifes and girlfriends have there opinions on lights so just ask her what size, output and ui she would prefer.

The Xeno E03 is a little bigger and has a clicky. It always start on medium so for "wife use" it could be seen as a single mode light.
If she then wants to go "advanced" it also has low and hi.

Both lights are about $20 (well, the Xeno is maybe a little more expensive but not much) and will probably last for years on a primary lithium battery when it get only occasional use in short bursts.

You could also put a 3V lithium primary AA in the Xeno and it would be brighter if she would like that.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Another vote for the ICON Rogue or Link, put a lithium AA in it and it will work when she needs it. They are funky designs that she will like to have and are great value.

wuyeah

Enlightened
How about buy your self a great light from Battery Junction and give the free promotional key chain light to her...LOL

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about your wife, but a few points.

Most women will not want to actively carry a light or deal with one. Easiest solution?

I do want to get her something slightly brighter, contemplated the itp eos aaa.

My wife has had an ITP A3 SS on her keys for the better part of a year. Lately she's had power outages at work (lucky her) and no one else had a light. She came home one day and asked me for another light to keep in her purse. She said "this time one with a button, not a twisty". Talk about hearing things you thought you never would. :D She still has (and likes) the ITP A3 but to go with it I got her a Jetbeam BC10. So far she seems to like it.

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
I put a mte 2mode p7 in the wifeys car. It has a protected 18650 in it. It was one of the first flashlights I got a couple of years ago and was pretty beat up. The battery has made it through the summer so far in her car. I was concerned about the heat but so far so good.
On the 4th of july she made me very proud. We were sitting in the front yard and out of nowhere she pulls out the flashlight. We let the kids run around the yard with it and helped the neighbors with some of the cleanup from fallen debris from the fireworks. I now have over fifteen lights but was nice to see an old standby come out unexpectedly.

Surefyr

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with Ishango here. Remember, a Lady's purse is always full of nitty gritties. Carrying a flashlight is the last thing on their mind. If at all, they would want a small unobtrusive light like the Photon Microlight II Pro with just the on/off option. It hides under a quarter, hardly under 7 gms, waterproof, quite bright to walk around the house and car, and can be hung with the keys. All under 13$! I gave my wife one, and she uses it more often than she thought. If you feel the switch can be accidentally switched on in the purse, there is another Photon microlight II which too has a simple on/off plus a nail activated constant on (this, i carry in my key pouch and a minix in my jean coin pocket). Of course, if she has to go around a large unlit area, there is the Zebralight Sc31 (220 lm, 67mm length, CR123/RCR) or SC80 (220 lm, 82mm, Cr123/AA) - both with a soft side click, not a cumbersome twisty (for a lady). Both the Zebralights, though are around 70$ each (remember, 'cheap' is a relative term
evilgrin07.gif
), and a wife is invaluable (again a relative term?:D)!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife EDCs the Aluminium version of my TI EDC light
i have the SWM V10R TI - she has the Aluminium XML version (which was half the price)
I figure if I'm giving her a light, she will be using it when I'm not there, so I had better get something well built.

Danielight

Enlightened
I originally gave my wife a 4Sevens Mini AA for her purse. She never used it, so I "traded" her my Thrunite Ti (blue aluminum). It's smaller, runs on one AAA, and she can hide it anywhere in her purse. This is a nice two-mode twisty which doesn't require you to twist it off before changing modes. The low mode is 3 lumens - plenty low for map reading or finding keyholes, and the high is 60 lumens - bright enough to find your way around in the dark, whether walking the dog or looking for your car at night. I don't know if she has used this light, either, but it's there if she needs it. I stuck an Energizer lithium primary in it, which should last a long time (and not leak as it gets older). :grin2:

tolkaze

Enlightened
I've always said that my Wife needs the best, cheap or not. She has had a HDS in the past, but found she really only uses an EO1. I have tried a number of times to get her to carry a small light of some kind besides her keylight, but generally she just assumes I will always be there. I will be insisting she carry something as soon as I can find something bulletproof, small, unobtrusive and i gues.... cute. But again, price shouldn't come into it when its a loved one

lapis

Newly Enlightened
No disrespect intended to any of you but I don't think I should have a 800lm light and then give my wife a E01 barely able to light up her path, she is not a flashaholic and could care less than it runs for 10hrs, she just wants bright easy to use light and expects me to manage her battery situation. I've been down that road and she was not impressed so in the dark she would just walk beside me dependent on my light and not bothering with her own.

I changed the E01 on her keychain to a E05 with a lithium and bingo she light's up the dark on her own, I also put a P2D in her purse and she occasionally uses it but the E05 gets the most use. I've been thinking about changing the P2D to something in the 1xAA light but I'm not sure what to give her.

The deal with the PD2 is she only pulls it out when she need lots of light so I have the head tight to max output but she does not like the heat on extended usage and I don't want to loosen the bezel because then that would defeat the purpose, she don't like twisting a simple off and on has to do.

I'm glad this thread came up I have been meaning to revisit what she carry's in her purse but I've just been putting it off, I'm thought of giving her my Quark AA Tactical and maybe program it to max with Energizer lithium's but I've always used 14500 so I don't know if it gets hot with Energizer lithium's set to max. I guess I'm off to do some testing or look for something else.

I agree with this gentlemen on his point here. I would just add and ask if she is comfortable at all with using this light as a weapon? Would she think to use it like that, or is this more of a utility sort of situation only? If she knew how to and was comfortable to use it in a self defense situation, that would surely make a difference in the light you choose for her.
Best wishes...

Norm

Retired Administrator
A flashlight is not a weapon and discussion of use of a flashlight as a weapon will be deleted. Thanks Norm

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Moving this to Recommend Me A Light for ... forum. Remember to follow rules for posting links in that forum. See heading at top of thread listing page.

Bill

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
I want it to be reliable, easy to operate. I know she'll rarely use it. Maybe a few times a year. That said, I want it in her purse if she ever needs light (especially in an emergency.)

The very reasons you shouldn't let price be a deciding factor. With that said, I bought my wife a 4sevens Mini 123($35), Eagletac D25A clicky Ti($70) and a Fenix PD30($60). All of these can be easily carried in a purse. She carries the Mini 123 the most. Great outputs and runtimes. She also loves the neck lanyard that came with it.

+1 on lithiums no matter what you buy.

Latest posts