Best. Flashlight. EVER!

Treeguy

Enlightened
Treeguy- Don't forget to mention, it's also coincidentally a P60 host... :) In addition to being good on it's own merits!

I'm a tech-zero when it comes to those things, but I'm still fascinated. I might have to look into this. And I might have to buy a few more to experiment with. :naughty:

What is the plain English end result of a P60 drop in as far as lumens and runtimes go?

scout24

Flashaholic
Depends. M31 Malkoff will run on 2xAA's just like any other 2xAA setup, I'd have to google the runtimes. Eneloops work there, too. You'd run into heat issues with anything high power, being mainly plastic. I've run an M60LL in mine, never ran it long enough to have it run out of juice. Lumensfactory makes 3V incand P60 modules by request, and they make 2xRCR incand modules (HO-9R) that I would think would work on 2xAW14500's without going over safe discharge levels. I bought mine mainly to goof around with... I would think any of the "L" or "LL" Malkoff M61's would give hours of light on 2 alkalines, even out of regulation and tapering off as they ran. There are others who broke this ground who have much more knowledge of it than I do.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Well of course this subject is completely subjective because everyone likes different things.

For me, so far the nicest lights I've found are Sunwayman. The reason I like them is the style, finish and interface work well with what I want them to do. Are they perfect, no, but they are useful, cool looking and compact, so that's good enough for me.

Fenix is probably as good or better in terms of build quality and style. Really, if Fenix had more one button interfaces and more moonlight modes, they'd be my fav.

Price is another consideration. I'm talking about lights that are reasonable in price. If you spend $50 verses $200 on a light, is that a valid comparison?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Woah, woah woah
You intrrupted malkoff-ing a Rayovac
What were you thinking man?

Two thumbs up....
Off to the big orange store tomorrow...

Basically tree man, the malkoff emitters are made to take the punishment of being mounted to shot guns.
But they prefer 3-9 volts in the popular M61 version. A pair of aa's makes 2.4 volts in general.
Yet it seems the M31 is another story.

Now spending $50 on a new emitter (for a $20 light) when there's nothing wrong with the old one isn't practical to the masses...but for CPF members?

If home depot has any of those lights left I'll be placing an order with Malkoff for an M31L and a W...
Heck yeah!
CPF Rules.

Btw Doc I was just joking with ya there.
Back to dr tweedbuckets subject and this threads topic in general.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand, one might argue that a hammer is the best tool ever. If the other tools aren't working, you should try a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer.

Not trying to heavy-up on you guys. Let the fun continue.

I'm still trying to figure which is my best hammer.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever light you happen to have with you, read: the one that actually does the job (vs. one that craps out or isn't useful for whatever reason).

So, more generally: the light which least often fails to do the job. And no - if you have to solder 2 wires together, a hammer ain't gonna do it. No matter how big a hammer you grab. :laughing:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
You get a surefire-compatible 9P body, this can be a Leef battery tube (best) or Elzetta host (2nd best) or something similar either specially built or bored to accept 18xxx Li-Ion rechargeable batteries.

You can then use a head compatible with 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x18650, 2x18500, 1x123A (or 2x or 3x) primaries with appropriate sleeves and/or spacers.

You can use a high-amperage tail cap. And with o-rings and a sealed head this flashlight can be pretty resistant against water. Also with a potted head it can be pretty resistant to falls, drops, hits,..., practically anything.

So. LED's evolve for the better, you can use a new drop-in. You can get 3xLEDs with power to put out thousands of lumens. Or Overready's M2 head for throw (or Malkoff's hound dog). Or you can use a nice M90 drop-in from Malkoff with 700+ lumens and great room lighting capability at reasonable run-times.

Or you can use an old M60 (or M60L, or M60LL) for insane battery compatibility, great runtimes, and excellent throw.

Or, you can use UV, IR, colored (red, blue, green,...), drop-in.

Or you can use a multi-level drop-in (Malkoff's M361 is great), so you can use one flashlight for low, mid and high level light.

Or...not sure there is something reasonable you cannot do, I mean even the monster surefire flashlights (at least the ones not designed to be carried by vehicles) have a few thousand lumens output which is within your reach.

So, what is it that you want to do that you cannot with this system! I think this is a pretty good definition of "best".

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
3 lbs cross peen blacksmith hammer... err flashlights right.
Well I have a thrunite archer 2c coming in the mail, good floody beam for everday use, bright enough and dim enough for all tasks (including being brighter than the other guy's flashlight) within a hundred yards so that will be the best flashlight ever... until I decide that I need a dedicated thrower and after that maybe a megaflashlight, you never know, I may need to be able to light up a sports field sometime.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't a best light ever. I'm sorry to post, there's lights for courses but no best light ever. That's why I have so many lights.

awyeah

Enlightened
For EDC? Zebralight SC62w. Very small 18650, 900 lumens. Great moonlight mode.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't read all the posts, so excuse me if it has already been mentioned. But personally, the second gen Spy Tri-V Vegas Knob is my "best" light or the best light I have ever handled. It can be/is: EDC super easily, Titanium!, work of art, unique, multi emitter, Warm and Cool, flood light, thrower, programable, simple UI, Fastest Light in the West, worlds best ergonomics, tail stands, long run times, SWGG, Vegas Knob, Technology Package.
Only negative: Price! :broke:

Zandar

Enlightened
Once again I agree with Str8stroke, a truly "best" flashlight that really is 3 flashlights in one. Or maybe it's that great light I just bought from scout24!!