Best penlight?

napalm-2002

Enlightened
stylus pro in my pocket everyday right next to my benchmade 940sbt.
use it 35 times a day. Snap-on man replaces for free when the rubber switch cover rips. i keep a brand new one in my toolbox. and my 4 year old sun allways wants daddys lite so i bought him his own!

napalm-2002

Enlightened
stylus pro in my pocket everyday right next to my benchmade 940sbt.
use it 35 times a day. Snap-on man replaces for free when the rubber switch cover rips. i keep a brand new one in my toolbox. and my 4 year old son allways wants daddys lite so i bought him his own!

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't the Streamlight Stylus Pro head fixed to the body with only the tailcap being removeable? I own both the Stylus Pro and Microstream and both of them have the heads stuck tight to the body....

I'd appreciate to know, thanks.

elumen8

Enlightened
Isn't the Streamlight Stylus Pro head fixed to the body with only the tailcap being removeable? I own both the Stylus Pro and Microstream and both of them have the heads stuck tight to the body....

I'd appreciate to know, thanks.

Plenty of FenixStream lego threads. Here's one in particular.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217658&page=3

:thumbsup: Me Too! I carry it in my shirt pocket. So handy and oh so bright!

streampromod.jpg

JB

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I *might* concede tougher, but only because you can't pit SS vs. aluminum in a fair fight.

On the matter of brightness, I seriously doubt that the Eiger is brighter.
How hard is that Rebel being driven???

I can assure you that Sunlite has some pretty accurate lumen ratings.
That 100 lumen model is bright!!

Sunlite actually MAKES their own emitters and uses copper heat sinks. How cool is that?

..looks like we need a penlight shoot-out! :devil:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
Wow, those are impressive penlights, Armed Forces. Their performance and quality are unsurpassed. Thanks for the links-- I have just purchased a few of their AAAx2 penlights. I've been wanting a good penlight for years, but have not made a decision on a purshase until tonight. Looking forward to using them.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
You'll love 'em!

The Slim2 2xAAA is a great choice and probably my favorite simply because of the shorter length.
If you need a minimalist work light that packs plenty of punch for its size, you'll be hard pressed to find a better package.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Now it says 20 hours on that one, how long till you notice dimming and what do they consider usable light?
I might get one of these 60 lumen 2 AAA models.

Care to give any more details?
Like the switch quality, does the head and body get hot, beam profile, HA toughness, thread robustness? Regulation, direct drive, any PWM? Oh, and can you lock out the switch for pocket carry?
:popcorn:

Last edited:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
Hi Sarge :wave:
..you must have sneaked in there as I was turning in!

I haven't put these Sunlite's through a barrage of exhaustive tests, per CPF standards, but I'll give you my initial impressions backed up by several months of intermittent use.

Sunlite's runtimes are based on dimming to 50% of initial brightness.
I use lithium primaries exclusively and haven't gone through a set on any of mine yet so I can't confirm the actual runtime.
I can tell you, that I've got at least 10-12 hours on my 2xAAA model and it shows no signs of dimming! :D
These lights are current regulated and once you take it apart you will be blown away that they can fit everything in that tiny little head!

To summarize the general fit/finish of these lights: These are true "work lights".
Nothing fancy to look at but the specs are very high especially when compared to the cost.
You'll need to give them a little once-over with TLC to get them up to flashaholic standards. Krytox is strictly optional! :crackup:
I first discoverd these on a Snap-On truck (yes, I'm a "toolaholic"!) and anyone that knows about Snap-On knows they only cater to top quality products.
They're designed for durability and high performance over what I would guess to be a very long lifetime.
Since these are specifically made for shirt pocket carry (SPC?) there is no lock-out on the switch.
I don't mind that one bit because I want instant activation when I reach for one.
I've never considered carrying one of these in a trouser pocket.
Not suitable in my opinion because that is what I consider true EDC territory and the competition there is fierce!
I keep the 100 lumen model in a pencil holder on a desk disguised amongst the various pens/pencils/sharpies.
So far its use has been mostly tactical for blinding/disorienting the unsuspecting victim. muwahahahaaa
The lights are very water-resistant and I was pleasantly surprised when I retrieved mine after a 48+ hour @ 16" depth, highly scientific "sink test" and discovered NO leakage. :thumbsup:
I use UV dies and especially LOVE their UV lights! ..true UV emissivity @ specific wavelengths because they are manufactured in house and quality controlled.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:paypal: Literally. 2XAAA on the way in neutral.
I have to play with one of these myself and the 3XAAA is bright but sounds too long for me. 20 hours to 50% sounds excellent from just 2 little cells.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Streamlight Stylus Pro body with the head of the Fenix LOD/LD01. Great brightness and runtime.

(comparable suggestions by others)

I have been running my LD01 head with my SL SP 2xAAA body with 2xAAA alkaline for a while, and I have just switched to 2xAAA Duraloops. Maybe ~140 lumens on 'high', it just kicks butt overall, and I actually prefer the 2xAAA form factor over the 1xAAA/10440 form factor. Holds nicer in the hand.

This is an awesome penlight, I use it nearly every day.