Bicycle mount for any flashlight?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted over on the Bike Forums, is this possibly the same clamp as Martin posted photos of? I know there is a "cheaper" version that looks almost identical, but the more I look at this one, the more it seems the same as the one above.

Mounting Clamp for Bike Lighting --- Convert a flashlight into Bikelighting

bikeclamo.jpg

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone familiar with the difference (or lack thereof) in computer parts between OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) vs. Retail, I, too, wonder if they are the same part, where one is branded "Lunartec." However, without some sort of definitive reference that marks one as unique, I would exercise caution, as the one from Batteryspace could be the poorly made version mentioned before...

?

greenLED

Flashaholic
LEDA - Martin is sending me a couple of his for evaluation. From what I understand, the ones he got a hold of have a metal screw (the cheaper ones are all plastic). Once the samples arrive I'll compare with what I have and see if the materials and construction are the same or not.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted over on the Bike Forums, is this possibly the same clamp as Martin posted photos of? I know there is a "cheaper" version that looks almost identical, but the more I look at this one, the more it seems the same as the one above.

Mounting Clamp for Bike Lighting --- Convert a flashlight into Bikelighting

bikeclamo.jpg

I checked with the company selling these (batteryspace.com) and the one they sell is the cheaper version with plastic threads on the bolt.

Too bad... :(

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
varuscelli, thank you very much for clarifying/finding out! Better to know than to gamble and throw your money out the window...:(

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
varuscelli, thank you very much for clarifying/finding out! Better to know than to gamble and throw your money out the window...:(

You're welcome. Ha, I was about an inch away from buying a couple of them last night and decided to be patient, wait for the light of day, and check with the seller. Glad I did -- and they responded to me very quickly and politely in answering my questions about the build on the mounts (plastic versus metal, etc.)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it seems like the Twofish Cyclopblock is the best of the lot of those available here in the states. Nothing to rust, waterproof (I would imagine), and no cheap hinges to break.

Now, finding the darn thing is easier said than done...I e-mailed Lighthound, and they said they won't have them in stock for a few weeks. *shrugs* I can wait a few weeks. To paraphrase someone else's tagline on this forum, "it's better to spend ten bucks once than five bucks twice." ;)

LEDAdd1ct

Martin

Enlightened
More on the DX / battteryspace / Pearl part:

The Pearl clamp weighs 39g, the cheap one I got from DX weighs 33g.

The plastic material of the Pearl one is slightly brown and a little bit shiny, the DX one is a dull black. I'm not enough of an expert in these things to tell what material this exactly is.

The visible ends of the 2 metal pins in the Pearl part are shiny and their edges are rounded, the pins on the DX parts are dark and have burrs.

The rubber inserts on the Pearl part are softer, stickier and protrude further out than on the DX part.

The upper clamp (the one without bolt) of the Pearl part locks with more tension than the DX part.

At first glance it looks like it's exactly the same mould for both parts, but at close inspection I find differences that suggest they are NOT from the same mould.

Illum

Flashaholic
2 hoseclamps in a figure 8
Total cost 52 cents

get a length of hose, cut those in half, one for grip on the handlebars and one for the flashlight

metal to metal doesn't do much for grip, nor does it protect the light's finish

total cost = free
found the strainers in a dumpster [some idiot threw an entire box of these out], salvaged a ran-over-by-lawn-mower hose from a neighbors trash

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first glance it looks like it's exactly the same mould for both parts, but at close inspection I find differences that suggest they are NOT from the same mould.

Interesting observations on quality and build, Martin. Good stuff to know, especially with the superficial resemblance between the mounts. It would be awfully easy to mistake one for the other if going by Internet vendor photos alone.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
You can have a quick-release for the flashlight only, and a more solid clamp for the handlebar, as pictured above. Or, you can opt to have a solid clamp for the flashlight, and a quick release for the handlebar, or you can have a quick-release for the flashlight, and a quick release for the handlebar.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
These are made from strong clamps, unlike the ones pictured previously. The ones previously have been known to pop up, dropping the flashlight, and if you are using some cheapy dealextreme Cree light, you wouldn't want this to happen. One or two drops off the handlebar and onto the tarmac, and your flashlight will be toast! :sick::green::mecry::mecry::mecry:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great updates on this thread! Some questions for Grun:

1) Where can I purchase the Shark clamp? I am located in the U.S.

2) Does the Planet Bike bracket hold well, and is it made well?

For those looking to purchase the Planet Bike mount in the United States (the MEC site is in Canada, and requires you to be a member), I found the following two places with reasonable prices:

http://www.westernbikeworks.com/productdetail.asp?p=PBQCH&tn=0

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=PBQCH&tn=11370042

After shipping, I wonder which is cheapest...

greenLED

Flashaholic
I just got the holders that Martin sent me. Even without the "cheap" version handy, I can tell these are better built. For starters, the rubbery pads are glued in place. I'll have to take them apart and see where the differences in design and construction are.

Stay tuned.

Grun

Newly Enlightened

For those looking to purchase the Planet Bike mount in the United States (the MEC site is in Canada, and requires you to be a member), I found the following two places with reasonable prices:

try this instead: they are usa
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3106.html
yes, they are very very very well made, the other one posted is not good, and will rip open :(

don't do the shark clamp,
you can instead get one pair of the planetbike from the site above

Grun

Newly Enlightened

btw the ones mentioned will not work, you would have to go with planetbike the officials one

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't do the shark clamp,
you can instead get one pair of the planetbike from the site above

Hi, Grun

Just to make sure I'm clear on the recommendation, you're recommending two of the Planet Bike clamps (and leaving out the shark clamp) because the using two Planet Bike clamps essentially gives you a quick release for either the light or the handlebar, correct? (Or that's at least part of the reason?)

I might have missed something along the way, so I'm just making sure I'm thinking straight about trying your invention. Am I on target or did I miss the point completely... :confused: ;)

Latest posts