Bicycle mount for any flashlight?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would sure be nice. :)

The photo sure makes them look like plastic, though. And I can't quite tell from the description on the site. I don't think they say outright which it is (or did I read past that?).

If I'm not mistaken, the website seems to skirt the issue a bit on the product description. :confused:

I had to e-mail the info guys from the site and ask them.

Response: "The mini and c-mounts are machined here from 6061 aluminum and anodized."

Still seems odd to me that they don't talk about that on the product page. They call it "cute, simple, light weight, reliable and solid" and talk about how well made Maglites are...but I still don't think they actually describe the materials from which the mounts are made. Seems like a huge advertising misstep (especially since you can't absolutely tell from the photos -- or at least I can't... ;) )

Redregie

Newly Enlightened
I had to e-mail the info guys from the site and ask them.

Response: "The mini and c-mounts are machined here from 6061 aluminum and anodized."

Still seems odd to me that they don't talk about that on the product page. They call it "cute, simple, light weight, reliable and solid" and talk about how well made Maglites are...but I still don't think they actually describe the materials from which the mounts are made. Seems like a huge advertising misstep (especially since you can't absolutely tell from the photos -- or at least I can't... ;) )

Nice one Al :twothumbs

Just a shame they wont fit 31.8mm Bars,
Of Course I could adopt your method of using Bar extenders.....hmmmmmm

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice one Al :twothumbs

Just a shame they wont fit 31.8mm Bars,
Of Course I could adopt your method of using Bar extenders.....hmmmmmm

Yeah, you're right -- it is a shame they're not made in multiple sizes for different sized handlebars (or even a couple of different sizes that could be shimmed to fit multiple sized bars). The neat thing to me about these mounts is the sleek appearance and simplicity. It would be a shame to have to complicate that by using a spacebar and adding extra "clutter" to the handlebars. But it would be an option.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those things look pretty cool, and ANYTHING made of anodized aluminum has my vote over plastic...

Hmm...how do you attach them? Can you remove the bottom portion? Will they accomodate a Wolf Eyes Explorer, or 18650 lights with a barrel diameter larger than a Mini-Mag? Is there any reason one couldn't replace the screw in there with something easier to remove, to "make your own quick release?"

greenLED

Flashaholic
That is one slick design. I'd be all over it if it had a quick release mechanism. I'm not about to leave a $200 light on the handlebars of my bike. :(

Afternoon !

Any one try these handsome looking things ?

b_box1-mag.gif

available here
http://www.dkg-cnc.com/bicycle.html

Oh, and I e-mailed the folks at Pearl.de asking for a US distributor of Martin's holders, but they said they didn't have a US location. I can't find who makes those holders.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and I e-mailed the folks at Pearl.de asking for a US distributor of Martin's holders, but they said they didn't have a US location. I can't find who makes those holders.

Argh...disappointing. :(

Awfully good of you to give it the good effort, though. :thumbsup:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any reason one couldn't replace the screw in there with something easier to remove, to "make your own quick release?"

If you wanted to go the not-so-pretty route, I'd guess you could always fit a wing bolt to it (or two wing bolts if you wanted to quick release the whole thing -- and you might need two in any case to fully release the light, depending on the dynamics of mounting/unmounting the thing and the shape of your flashlight -- like the Fenix L2D that has the smaller diameter middle section). Bet it would be fairly easy to find wing bolts with the right thread and length. But it wouldn't do much for the sleek appearance of the mount.

Martin

Enlightened
..Oh, and I e-mailed the folks at Pearl.de asking for a US distributor of Martin's holders, but they said they didn't have a US location. I can't find who makes those holders.
If there's a demand for these, I can surely order some qty and send them over to a US person willing to re-distribute.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting my Planetbike mounts in a couple days, and I will let everyone know how they work out, using the method Grun suggested on the bike thread.

:)

Pssst! Hello?

Mine arrived today. :poke:

:D

Unfortunately I'm too busy to do anything but look at them. :shakehead

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
DealExtreme has a new style of bicycle light mount:
sku_8274_3_small.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8274

I'll let you know how it is when I receive mine.

These were also sold by Amilite. I bought one along with the Neo T5. The Neo T5 is not a good bike lite though. Great beam but very short runtime with rechargeable batteries.

Not a great piece of engineering because there's only friction holding an expensive light in.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

What method of shipping did they use?

About how long did it take to get to you?

Hi, LEDAdd1ct...

This is pretty amazing. I ordered two clamps on Sept. 24 and received them on Sept 26. No tax, no shipping charges and sent via standard U.S. Postal Service mail (no expedited shipping or anything). Arrived to me in League City, Texas (Houston area) from Madison, Wisconsin in about 48 hours.

I dunno, the timing must have been just right. But kudos to folks over at Planet Bike for such a quick and generous response. Most places would have tacked on another $6.95 in shipping and handling charges and taken a couple of days to ship the order (they must have packaged/shipped immediately). Planet Bike has just earned/won a satisfied customer and friend in me...(small things, you know). :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, wow, that is *really* fast!

I ordered mine on Sunday or Monday and I hope to receive them (the pair) today.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, wow, that is *really* fast!

I ordered mine on Sunday or Monday and I hope to receive them (the pair) today.

Yeah, my early receipt has to be partly just luck of the draw (when the order was received, when it was looked at and processed, how the mail routes were running, etc.), but in part it had to be pretty quick response to the order by the Planet Bike folks. I dunno, I do a lot of small ordering via the Internet, and a certain percentage of stuff arrives to me pretty fast, but this seems right up there with the best you could ever expect (short of paying for expedited/overnight service). Pretty cool.

Then again, maybe I received your order by mistake... :whistle: ).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
varuscelli, maybe you *do* have mine, because they wound up not arriving today after all. But that's alright, because if it *does* arrive tomorrow, it will make a really good day a REALLY good day. We're getting broadband (cable) installed tomorrow morning, so by the time I arrive home from subbing as "el maestro de español", everything will be lightning fast! I really can't wait; I haven't been able to fully enjoy all the flashlight pics out there on dial-up. :-( If the Planet Bike mounts arrive, it will add icing to the cake, and give me something to work on Friday afternoon to test out in the evening hours.

This site really is terrific. Not too long ago, I thought that there really weren't too many choices out there for an inexpensive bike mount. But from the contributions of the kind people here, I've learned about the Pearl, it's cheaper DX counterpart, the Planet Bike mount, that new one by dkg...I mean, I'd love to get one of those expensive bike light systems, and yes, one day I probably will. But for getting around at night when you've stayed out past dusk, it's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to throw a 18650 light and bracket into your {pocket, backpack, bike bag, secret-agent-carrying-case} than worry about all the cables and other junk (not to mention cost) of a complete bike system.

I've never heard of dkg until Redregie introduced them on this thread. Are they new? Oops, never mind. Their homepage says they've been around since 1978!

http://www.dkg-cnc.com/index.html

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted a few shots of a more minimal setup for two L2D lights and two lockblocks attached straight to the handlebars of another bike. Here are a few (more on the site in my signature). Very compact, very sturdy attached straight to the handlebars, and very sharp looking I think. I haven't had the chance to play around with the brackets from Planet Bike yet.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those pictures *do* look quite nice!

I forgot- what is the maximum output of those Fenixes?

Mounting the lights this way certainly does give a much cleaner overall look than using a spacebar. Not as prone to slipping, either.

On the maximum output, I'd better let one of the more technical types answer that. ;)

Stated maximum output for the L2D Premium 100 is 175 lumens, though.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to let everyone know, I finally got those Planet Bike mounts. Postmarked September 24th, received October 4th, from Wisconsin to a NY suburb.

They do seem really well-made (for something with plastic), but the fact the thumbscrew/clamp you use to tighten it down is all metal really rocks in my book. When I get home from running errands this evening, we'll see about putting holes in it and screwing the two pieces together, but it really does look like a piece of cake.