Bicycle mount for any flashlight?

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Grun

Just to make sure I'm clear on the recommendation, you're recommending two of the Planet Bike clamps (and leaving out the shark clamp) because the using two Planet Bike clamps essentially gives you a quick release for either the light or the handlebar, correct? (Or that's at least part of the reason?)

I might have missed something along the way, so I'm just making sure I'm thinking straight about trying your invention. Am I on target or did I miss the point completely... :confused: ;)

Yes, that is one of the reasons. In case theft is bad where you are and some douche comes along and likes the looks of your clamp system, he might steal it. The second reason is the plate for the Shark is utter crap, and cannot be used. Unless you have some power tools and want to do some cutting, cleaving and all that jazz. The only snag, is that you have to dish out another $2.00. Not that it really matters, but for the really frugal, since the whole process is about giving Cygolite, Niterider, and the other related bike light companies the finger.

Light on! :candle::twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Grun

Newly Enlightened
BTW, varuscelli, how is the run time of the L2D Rebels on high, and medium high? What about the temperatures? Is there a lot of overheating? Are you able to leave the light on for extensive amounts of time?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grun, you rock! I just ordered two of the Planet Bike clamps, and I can't wait to assemble them.

What is the best way to mate them? I am guessing just align at 90 degrees and screw together...?

:)

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, varuscelli, how is the run time of the L2D Rebels on high, and medium high? What about the temperatures? Is there a lot of overheating? Are you able to leave the light on for extensive amounts of time?

Thanks, Grun, for the clarification on my last question.

On the run times, unfortunately since I've had them I've never really pushed it to the point of the light failing on me so I don't have good info on that yet.

But on temperatures, I run them just about exclusively in turbo mode when I'm on the bike and since there's basically a breeze on the light almost the whole time I'm riding, I've never noticed any of what think of as anywhere near overheating. I think the most I've ridden with them on is about an hour at a time. The flashlight head will get only slightly warm on occasion (I'll check them once in a while), but I can't imagine that the warmth I'm feeling when I check them could possible be of any harm. Most of the time they feel only barely warm. So I think (in my nonprofessional opinion) that the heat thing is not an issue with the constant cooling that the night air and night riding provide. Just my guess, though.

Grun

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Grun, for the clarification on my last question.

On the run times, unfortunately since I've had them I've never really pushed it to the point of the light failing on me so I don't have good info on that yet.

But on temperatures, I run them just about exclusively in turbo mode when I'm on the bike and since there's basically a breeze on the light almost the whole time I'm riding, I've never noticed any of what think of as anywhere near overheating. I think the most I've ridden with them on is about an hour at a time. The flashlight head will get only slightly warm on occasion (I'll check them once in a while), but I can't imagine that the warmth I'm feeling when I check them could possible be of any harm. Most of the time they feel only barely warm. So I think (in my nonprofessional opinion) that the heat thing is not an issue with the constant cooling that the night air and night riding provide. Just my guess, though.

Thanks for the info. The P3D Rebels had overheating problems, but probably because they were heavily overdriven to reach 200 lumens, or so. I figured the L2D would be better as it was a bit less intense. :cool:

iTEK26

Newly Enlightened
Great thread. Good info for people just getting into night riding. There are two Quick-cam brackets that seem to work together. One Quick-cam Bracket to attach to the handlebars, and one Quick-cam Adjustable to hold different sized lights. See links below. I think this would be most similar to grun's design, with greatest stability on the handlebars and adjustability for different sized lights. What do you guys think? I am just about to order up a few sets.

Quick-cam Adjustable Bracket - http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3104.html
Quick-cam Bracket - http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3106.html

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread. Good info for people just getting into night riding. There are two Quick-cam brackets that seem to work together. One Quick-cam Bracket to attach to the handlebars, and one Quick-cam Adjustable to hold different sized lights. See links below. I think this would be most similar to grun's design, with greatest stability on the handlebars and adjustability for different sized lights. What do you guys think? I am just about to order up a few sets.

Quick-cam Adjustable Bracket - http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3104.html
Quick-cam Bracket - http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3106.html

I'm glad you brought that up, TEK26!

In looking around at some of Grun's links and doing a search or two of my own, I had seen that there seemed to be at least a couple of different versions of that Quick-Cam bracket. The Fenix L2D lights that I use are pretty skinny and my next question to Grun was going to be about which lights (or what diameter of lights) he thought would fit in the 3106 bracket. But then I realized that the "fit" sizes are listed with each bracket.

And the bracket you are mentioning, (the 3104 at 25.4-31.8mm) will actually go larger than the 3106 (25.4-26.0..), if I'm reading and stating the sizing info correctly. Maybe the best answer (in some cases) is just the mix that you're suggesting, TEK26. And if the Fenix L2D has too small a diameter, just adding another bit of rubber shim/spacer would likely do the trick, if needed at all.

What do you think about all that, Grun? (Assuming you'll eventually read this... ;) )

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep saying this: do not waste your money in those POS holders! They're absolutely horrendous quality. Although the concept is nice, the plastic parts are weak all over and they'll break very easily (sometimes even while you tighten them onto your bike)...

I've used mine extensively commuting this summer, including some trail riding. I lleft one on my Raleigh and one on my Diamondback all summer, and until I got the one snagged in a bush hadn't had any problems. But considering the plastic used, I'm thinking they won't stand up well to the winter. We'll see.

Bottom line, for under $2 shipped they get my approval.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I've been playing with the holders Martin sent me. I have to say they're better built than the "cheap" ones.

I was able to break the top strap of the cheap ones with little hand force. I had to use the edge of a file cabinet for leverage to accomplish the same with Martin's holders.

I've been purposefully overtightening the bolt on Martin's holders, but so far I haven't been able to break anything. OTOH, I broke the cheap version's plastic screw while doing the same thing. This was my "reinforced" cheap holder. In the stock ones, the bottom of the cup holding the plastic screw in place is what broke first when I tried.

I'll have to take some thickness measurements and some pics for y'all to see.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting my Planetbike mounts in a couple days, and I will let everyone know how they work out, using the method Grun suggested on the bike thread.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am getting my Planetbike mounts in a couple days, and I will let everyone know how they work out, using the method Grun suggested on the bike thread.

I picked up a pair of those myself just to play around with. Maybe we can compare notes later on The Grun Method. ;)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a pair of those myself just to play around with. Maybe we can compare notes later on The Grun Method. ;)

Uh-oh...it's developing a name and a following.

But at least with these ten bucks, I have a very good way to justify spending the money- a bike light can well save your life. And for ten bucks + some effort + some careful thought + light that is already owned, I think it's a terrific deal. I always have "buyer's guilt" after spending money on something LED related, but I think in this case, there won't be any; or, who am I kidding, just a teensy bit. :nana:

--> Will post more once brackets are received...

Grun

Newly Enlightened
I'm glad you brought that up, TEK26!

In looking around at some of Grun's links and doing a search or two of my own, I had seen that there seemed to be at least a couple of different versions of that Quick-Cam bracket. The Fenix L2D lights that I use are pretty skinny and my next question to Grun was going to be about which lights (or what diameter of lights) he thought would fit in the 3106 bracket. But then I realized that the "fit" sizes are listed with each bracket.

And the bracket you are mentioning, (the 3104 at 25.4-31.8mm) will actually go larger than the 3106 (25.4-26.0..), if I'm reading and stating the sizing info correctly. Maybe the best answer (in some cases) is just the mix that you're suggesting, TEK26. And if the Fenix L2D has too small a diameter, just adding another bit of rubber shim/spacer would likely do the trick, if needed at all.

What do you think about all that, Grun? (Assuming you'll eventually read this... ;) )

That sounds great. It should work out, despite the size. The shims would hold well. That, and the handlebar grip part could serve as the quick release.

diesel_dad

Newly Enlightened
I also found some useful brackets at MEC from Owleye for $2 each.

I used this one together with a Planet Bike Quickcam to make a handlebar mount: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...older_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1190759275897

The Owleye bracket screws on to the handlebar to make theft a little tougher.

There is also a right angle bracket that could make for some interesting configurations, esp. for tail lights: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...T<>prd_id=845524442622484&bmUID=1190759275900

5013893_v1_m56577569830637713.jpg

For $20 or so, I have made 3 or 4 good brackets. This is much more useful in the long haul than Lockblocks since they are much more durable.

Cheers.

Redregie

Newly Enlightened
Afternoon !

Any one try these handsome looking things ?

b_box1-mag.gif

available here
http://www.dkg-cnc.com/bicycle.html

I emailed them a while back and they were prepared to ship to the U.K.,
did'nt buy in the end as they only fit 1" bars and I'm using an over sized bar on my mtb.

simplest design so far !, not much lateral movement but good positioning should compensate

Oh and I have no connections whatsover with the company.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Afternoon !

Any one try these handsome looking things ?

b_box1-mag.gif

available here
http://www.dkg-cnc.com/bicycle.html

Glad you posted this. I had seen these a week or so ago and was curious about them. Obviously not quick release, but if you can attach the lights and leave them without fear of someone easily taking your lights, they'd surely have a useful niche for certain people/certain situations. The design looks good, too. Very sleek.

Now, if they are made at all well...(?). With a light of any length for leverage, if these things are too flimsy, a thief could grab the light, give it a sideways twist and snap the mount (and make off with your light).

Too bad they look like they're plastic (?)...if this design were of metal, then wow...I'd love it. ;)

As redregie asked, anyone have any experience with them?

Redregie

Newly Enlightened
Now, if they are made at all well...(?). With a light of any length for leverage, if these things are too flimsy, a thief could grab the light, give it a sideways twist and snap the mount (and make off with your light).

Too bad they look like they're plastic (?)...if this design were of metal, then wow...I'd love it. ;)

Al,

Pretty sure they are Aluminium maybe even H.A !

Scott

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al,

Pretty sure they are Aluminium maybe even H.A !

Scott

That would sure be nice. :)

The photo sure makes them look like plastic, though. And I can't quite tell from the description on the site. I don't think they say outright which it is (or did I read past that?).

If I'm not mistaken, the website seems to skirt the issue a bit on the product description. :confused: