Botach advertisement in CPF - Very disapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

doktor_x

Newly Enlightened
My dealings with Botach (albeit limited) have been positive. Maybe I'm just one of the fortunate minority, but if they offer something I need at the right price, I won't hesitate.

I've done some questionable stuff over the years, but am largely regarded as "an honorable guy that does what he says he'll do" (collectively paraphrasing). I'd suspect this to be fairly representative of anyone with interactive exposure to the big bad world. Know your capabilities/limitations and choose battles accordingly.

Just my $0.02. Keep the change.

Patriot

Flashaholic
It seems that from Sagi's posts here that he's obviously very interested in giving CPF members the best shopping experience possible. What's happened in the past is in the past, so making Sagi answer for Botach's actions 2 years ago seems to be a waste of breath imo. He's the new manager now and is obviously looking for a fresh start with us.

Again, those with personal objections relating to the ethics of the owner, Bar, are not forced to buy anything from this company. If the mere site of the company's ad banner here is perceived as that large of an issue, it might be time for some thicker skin.

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
This is all getting a bit sad!
It seems to me that it started with a Member expressing an opinion re a management decision, a few others joining the party then a management response which failed to satisfy or calm the troops. The alleged miscreant conceding some past transgressions and distancing himself from others all of which seemed to excite the correspondents in spite of him asking for a chance to show he can do better (with the apparent support of Management).

It saddens me to see we have descended more and more to "name calling" (I agree with GreenLED re the wrong direction) and I can't imagine how there will ever be consensus on this issue. It's beginning to look like a 1950's Western with the Lynch Mob defying the Sheriff and closing in on the alleged Villain.

Surely we can do better than this? (In Australia we have a sporting tradition that if the Referee makes a call you don't like you might "BOO" but you don't try to storm the field and hound him off).

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too. I used them a few times with no problems. I used to buy the 20 CR123s for $20. I think if they are willing to pay the advertising cost, they have a right to advertise and you as a consumer have a right to choose whether or not to do business with them. Choice is good!

My dealings with Botach (albeit limited) have been positive. Maybe I'm just one of the fortunate minority, but if they offer something I need at the right price, I won't hesitate.

Just my $0.02. Keep the change.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the interesting position of understanding and agreeing with all positions here, from management to Botach to disgruntled former customers to members who expect banner ads represent something more than an ad.

But the bottom line for me is that a second chance is not a third chance. Let's give Botach a chance to make amends and re-enter CPF and earn our respect. The operative terms are "chance" and "earn."

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Myself I've had a less than pleasant dealing with Botach. As best as I can recall this is the jist of my experience:

I had heard of issues with them so I figured I'd give them a test myself. Botach had a very poor reputation from the LEO community when I volunteered for one several years back.

IIRC the website had some old Inova X1's on sale and I figured that would be a good feeler purchase. I also browsed around and put a couple hanks of small diameter rope in my cart (as of course you can never have too much rope), etc.

I put in my order ans waited. A couple weeks later I was called... yeah it took weeks to the best of my recollection. :shakehead I was informed that the flashlight wasn't actually in stock another item, one particular diameter of rope... and so we amended my order. Well, I wasn't happy about the fact that the website stated that they had one thing, and they actually didn't, but no harm done in the end.

Then a while later (I think on the same day) Botach calls me. They had an issue with my shipping address being different from my credit card billing address and the fact that my billing address was a PO Box. Well, that's fine I guess, although I'd never before had an issue with this and I've done a lot of e-commerce. So I explain to the lady that I am (was at that time) in an address protection program and that is why my legal address was a PO box, and if she had an isue they could contact the State of Washington. I gave her the hotline number for the program so that she could pursue any means she required in verifying my valid participation in the program and gave her the specific law for the Revised Code of Washington which allowed the program, etc. I also volunteered to fax a copy of my State issued ID which had the PO box as my legal address, and a copy of my program ID card.

The next day I get a rather rude message on my phone from the lady telling me to call them back. When I did call her back I'm told that no one picked up on the number I provided and essentially that I was going to be reported to the police for pretending to be government or some weird crock of @^%#. Well, I proceeded to directly contact the hotline and asked them if they had been down or not answering at any time in the past day, and if they'd had a querey on my participation in the past day. Both were negative.

So being the mild mannered person that I am, instead of spewing obsceneties and rage, I simply canceled my order and decided Botach was not worth my business. I have definitely chimed in from time to time when Botach has been brought up in various forums simply stating that they may not have in stock what they claim and that customer service is hit and miss.

However after a year or two to cool down, I am willing to give Botach a second chance. I too would have been very skeptical of the Botach ad (if I could actually see ads). However after reading the discussion, which I'm glad was brought up and was allowed to happen, I see that there is an understanding between CPF and Botach as to what's up. Botach the ball is in your court. You can bet I'll be interested in whether things have changed for the better, and if that [insert unflattering word for a woman here] has been fired.

In regards to Empath's post comparing Cheers vs. Jeers thread numbers, I think that's like trying to measure mass with a ruler... not a very effective or accurate way to do it. But fwiw, any place that has anything near 1/2 of it's threads there as Jeers, let alone ~62% Jeers, is obviously ticking a lot of people off and is very suspect to bad business practices. I would call a 62% unfavorable rating very conclusive. There is no such thing as consensus on just about anything, lest of all here on CPF. :tinfoil:
Due to the value of the OP, I'll keep on track and won't comment on topics brought up further down the post or on some other posts in this thread.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it sounds like one thing botach could do that would go a long way with customer relations would be to invest in software and a system so that the website accurately reflects in real time what they actually have in stock.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hasn't this gone on too far?

Yes, there is well documented dealings with Botach that represent good and bad dealings. It's there, most people know, some will look for it, and others became aware of it in the first few posts of this thread.

They were compared to KD/DX but that is a bad comparison. The difference is Botach didn't change their name. They did change management. They are working towards a better future and better dealings with customers, new and old.

Everything that happened before Botach brought in people to eliminate all of the negative aspects of the company is nothing but history. We just need to let it go and see what the future holds.

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I agree that this has gone too far. They were indeed compared to KD & DX and it IS a bad comparison; because in all fairness to DX & KD they did not loot the American taxpayer to the tune of 300 million dollars and plead guilty to it. Inconveniences in shipping and product services do not equate to looting. Bad comparison. Maybe the OP new that but was afraid to spell it out.

New management? NOT

Greta

Flashaholic
I do think this thread has definately gone way beyond the "scope". How about continuing any further comments and accusations in the Underground? (and don't tell me that no one will see it there... anyone over 18 can register and read all they want... no one is stopping them.)

Thread closed... this is not the Cheers N' Jeers or Lynch Mob forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.