Bought two Headlamps, both don't turn on

friikadello

Newly Enlightened
Hello There.
Bought two Boruit RJ-3000 (One came RJ-3001) from two different sellers on ebay. So I got them both today. As I'm gonna use these on my head I also bought proper High quality 18650 LG HG2 batteries, didn't want to risk using some crazy cheap china batteries. The problem is that my headlamps doesn't turn on. Both of them. I tried different pairs of my HG2's and they are fully charged with Xtar VC2. As both doesn't turn on, could it be that my HG2 doesn't fit these headlamps ? I can't believe I got two defective headlamps from two different sellers. I want to clarify first that my batteries are good before I contact sellers on eBay. I understand that batteries are universal if it says 18650 then it means that pretty much any legit 18650 should work.
My headlamps
RJ-3000 RJ-3001

thslw8jg

Enlightened
Is there some type of reverse polarity protection in the battery compartment that would require using button top cells?

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on the bright side, at least they are a matched pair. Well, maybe not so bright. ;)

Seriously, I'd give button tops a try before I panic.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gearbest has these for sale as well... I knew I recognized the brand from somewhere.
In their pictures they show button tops. Though none of the product descriptions mentioned flat vs button.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL! Don't forget to stock up on those ebay "fire" 18650s to fuel them lumen monsters. 6000 mAh at 1/2 the weight and cost. What could possibly go wrong? :grin2:

Hopefully it's a button top issue, or I hope the OP lives in China, because shipping stuff back there, say from here, ain't gonna happen, so it's a total gamble and I'm game for it with some items.

Not some photon-blaster that rides close to your brain basket, however.

I wish him well.

Chris

friikadello

Newly Enlightened
lol. I found the problem. LG HG2 positive end is as flat as negative end. Positive end can't reach what it's supposed to reach in that case and doesn't make conection because it doesnt have that little tip (nipple if you like). No idea why they went for such a design for batteries. I have 8 of those LG's battieries, so i have to do some DIY. I'm using folded tin foild for now but ordered Neodymium disc magnets to fill that missing gap.
I didn't buy those Lamps because of crazy Lumens but for reviews, those lights seems to be bright enough and for that price it seems a real bargain. Will do the job for my needs.

Thanks everyone for input ;)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol. I found the problem. LG HG2 positive end is as flat as negative end. Positive end can't reach what it's supposed to reach in that case and doesn't make conection because it doesnt have that little tip (nipple if you like). No idea why they went for such a design for batteries. I have 8 of those LG's battieries, so i have to do some DIY. I'm using folded tin foild for now but ordered Neodymium disc magnets to fill that missing gap.
I didn't buy those Lamps because of crazy Lumens but for reviews, those lights seems to be bright enough and for that price it seems a real bargain. Will do the job for my needs.

Thanks everyone for input ;)

Good job buddy! We're only here to help and drink any free beer you might have.

The reason button tops are required is because manufacturers place 'reverse polarity' protection at the positive end of their lights and HLs. If you look, you'll see the copper/brass/silver disc where the button top will come into contact with. Around that disc/contact point, you'll see some raised shapes, like a banana, or sometimes encircling the disc, which is also raised up off the surface of the PCB that all of this stuff is mounted to.

The button top can fit inside the raised portion and make contact with the positive end of the circuit, but a flat top cell cannot make contact, so it prevents damaging the light by putting the cell/battery in backwards.

Chris

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, budget flashlights—and, in this case, headlamps—are fun! Blow a few bucks, and—hey!—sometimes you get something that works.

Li-ion batteries and chargers, however, are serious business. When something goes wrong with those, well, ... :poof: ... it can ruin your whole day. In case you do not already know, most CPF members recommend buying only quality batteries and chargers from reputable dealers. Randomly picking the lowest price on ebay or Amazon is not the way to go.

LG is one of the big battery makers, so no problem there. Be careful, though, because there have been some fake LG HG2 batteries in the market. Among other places, you can read about them here and here. Your best defense against counterfeits is to buy from a reputable vendor.

The chargers made by Xtar and Nitecore are generally well-reviewed. If you do not get a full-blown analyzer/charger, one of those would be my recommendation.

CPF member HKJ publishes reviews of batteries and chargers. I generally read those before buying.

I hope you'll come back and give us a report on how your headlamps are faring after a few months of use.

:welcome:

vernon750

Newly Enlightened
Ask them to replace them or ask them to refund your money.I always check the buyer reviews before buying anything on ebay or amazon.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask them to replace them or ask them to refund your money.I always check the buyer reviews before buying anything on ebay or amazon.

You didn't read the epilogue: The HLs just needed button top cells and not flat top cells, which the OP used first, but welcome aboard!

Chris

Latest posts