Folks that don't EDC flashlights.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Wandering OT...

Typical sheeple though. When the SHTF, they won't survive. Nature weeds out the weak, sick, old and in this instance, the unprepared. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. There are Biblical versions of that, too.
Depends on the specifics of the S hitting the proverbial F.

Most of these folks are just going to be inconvenienced and have to do without The Great Link for a little while. Maybe they'll decide some additional distasteful utilitarian kit is worth having for such contingencies, maybe they'll avoid putting themselves in such predicaments in the future, or maybe they won't change a thing.

But let's say there's some real emergency or disaster.
  • Wrenched your ankle something fierce backpacking in the wilderness after running your phone to zero faffing around on social media and you've got no means of summoning help? You're gonna have a bad time.
  • S really hit the fan and you're ready - stockpiled months' worth of shelf-stable food, water + treatment/filtration, 2A accessories, hooch - but you're a lone wolf? You're gonna get rolled by the less fortunate sooner rather than later because if nothing else you've got to sleep sometime.
It's worth noting that there are hard limits to individual or even family preparedness. Three general scenarios: an apartment resident, a suburbanite, someone living on acreage. The general scale of preparedness potential is pretty linear : acreage > suburbanite > apartment resident. But the recovery priority / infrastructure intensity is reversed : apartment dweller >suburbanite > acreage. Speaking as a suburbanite I'm acutely aware that there's a hard limit on what I can do to prepare living on ⅛ acre with neighboring structures some ~twenty feet away in 3 directions.

It is also a heck of a lot cheaper + immensely more profitable to invest in macro resiliency than micro preparedness. This is something my state should have realized post February 2021 but alas an uptick in standby generator installations seems to have been the main side effect.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Recently my main USB to USB-C charging cable crapped out on me. Still had my back-up one from Nitecore in my Accessories pouch that lives in my work-bag. What did I do? Ordered two new cables from AceBeam. Bought an accessories Smartphone kit from Home Depot that also included a 6 foot long such cable. Plus, my new Thrunite TT20 came with such a cable as well. Bit longer than the AceBeam cables. So that's my new main cable. Nitecore one still a back-up. Tossed one of the AceBeam cables in the TT20 box. As far as small portable power-banks go, I'm good on those.

But yeah, never understood this whole anxiety B.S. with phones.
Get one of the Case Logic digital camera pouches.
Get a lip-stick sized power-bank. Two short charging cables.
(In case one decides to crap out for no reason at all.)
Get a wall-plug adapter with folding prongs.

Everything should fit in the case. Use the belt-loop.
Or, just toss that case into your work-bag.
Consider getting a small EDC sling-bag if you carry lots of items.

Yup, you can toss that in there. Cables, adapter, power-bank, Case logic = Right around $35.oo (Yeah, small price to pay to get rid of a source of daily anxiety.)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
But yeah, never understood this whole anxiety B.S. with phones.
There are demos that practically live on their phones. Combine that with the growing distaste for wires and unfashionable gubbins small surprise that they're routinely exhausting their battery well before the end of the day and stressin' over it.

thebarefooter

Newly Enlightened
Those recently trendy, semi-stiff leather trays with the four pinched corners do come in very handy for emptying pockets at the end of the day.... and for putting everything back into those pockets the next day. I have one. But honestly, an old square plate (or a new one from The Dollar Store) works just as well. When the tray (or plate) is empty, you know you didn't forget any of your usual EDC items.
Countycomm has cool glow in the dark silicone trays. I've got a few in my house.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
Getting a few new lights soon, one will be EDC style or close, maybe taller, that is all I have ever used. My only light is a tall cheap LED that sits on the Kitchen Counter where all know the spot. Sits by some hot sauce and other such stuff. So no, and I may not after the purchase, or I will most likely get a 3rd for my Keychain.

Ancient articles are not very useful. They mention LG who has been out of phones for 2 years.

How about posting an article on the number of people with "don't have a flashlight" anxiety ...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Countycomm has cool glow in the dark silicone trays. I've got a few in my house.
Yeah, I buy from C.C. a bit too often. Lately, I've noticed a couple of shady things that C.C. has been doing, and I don't like it. But yes, one of those silicone trays would work too.

C.C. used to be very reputable back in the day. Pulled some shady nonsense. Lost their Marathon watch Authorized Dealer status because of it. Went full scumbag for two years. Constantly cheating customers out of their money. Not sure if there was a management change (seriously doubt it), or if they realized their reputation was in the toilet. Didn't buy from them over those two years. Then slowly started seeing more and more positive reviews. They came out with their own Maratac branded watches. Things got significantly better.

But now, starting to see that B.S. that started when Marathon yanked their A.D. status. Truth is, I've bought literally everything from County Comm that I want. So, I'm good. Just really hope they're not going further down that same road again.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There are demos that practically live on their phones. Combine that with the growing distaste for wires and unfashionable gubbins small surprise that they're routinely exhausting their battery well before the end of the day and stressin' over it.
Honestly, that's their own fault. Fashionable small sling-bag, especially a Vegan-leather one for Corporate types will easily hold all accessories, including a couple of larger brick power-banks. Charge up the banks overnight, start the day.

Yeah, I buy from C.C. a bit too often. Lately, I've noticed a couple of shady things that C.C. has been doing, and I don't like it. But yes, one of those silicone trays would work too.

C.C. used to be very reputable back in the day. Pulled some shady nonsense. Lost their Marathon watch Authorized Dealer status because of it. Went full scumbag for two years. Constantly cheating customers out of their money. Not sure if there was a management change (seriously doubt it), or if they realized their reputation was in the toilet. Didn't buy from them over those two years. Then slowly started seeing more and more positive reviews. They came out with their own Maratac branded watches. Things got significantly better.

But now, starting to see that B.S. that started when Marathon yanked their A.D. status. Truth is, I've bought literally everything from County Comm that I want. So, I'm good. Just really hope they're not going further down that same road again.
I've bought from CountyComm many times. This is the first I've heard of any issues. Just curious, what exactly happened or is happening?

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Honestly, I feel like 97% of people do not EDC a light or anything else for that matter. Besides their phone/keys/wallet.

I think for the most part the peoples phone light is good enough, I'm sure if not having a light on them in their day to day was an issue, they'd rectify it with having a light on them.

Most people go from home, to an office, to Starbucks and back home.

I feel like a lot of us here on CPF actually use our lights, and have a big need for lights in a daily lives.. which is why we think "those" people without lights are nuts.

But really, it just depends on ones daily life and tasks.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ancient articles are not very useful. They mention LG who has been out of phones for 2 years.

How about posting an article on the number of people with "don't have a flashlight" anxiety ...

Just because LG conducted the research it's hardly ancient that's quite an exaggeration, NoMoPhobia is a recognised phenomenon and whilst statistics may vary it's a concern for many despite whatever you may claim 😋

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I've bought from CountyComm many times. This is the first I've heard of any issues. Just curious, what exactly happened or is happening?
One example is their Limited Edition AceBeam Defender P16 models. I bought one. OD green but in reality closer to a Dark Forest green. Love the light! It's not a Limited Edition though. It's a brand exclusive to Maratac. But the issue is that if you buy a stock Black P16, you get a USB to USB-C charging cable. Plus, a high quality AceBeam branded 18650 with a charging slot built into the battery.

Guess which two included accessories did not come with the Maratac OD green edition. Oh and, no discount on price. Haven't seen the AceBeam branded 18650 batteries on sale separately on County Comm's website. But have seen the charging cables being sold separately. That's a bit suspicious. Also, the P16 doesn't use proprietary 18650 batteries. So, the AceBeam batts. will easily work in any other 18650 flashlight that doesn't use proprietary variations of the common 18650.

Another example can be seen with the latest variation of the Maratac watches. Anti-Magnetic and DLC coated. While their claims regarding the former are spot-on, they claim a DLC coating is great for scratch resistance. Actually, the truth is the exact opposite!

So yeah, just a couple of examples of seeing that long-gone shady behavior peeking from around the corner.

One example is their Limited Edition AceBeam Defender P16 models. I bought one. OD green but in reality closer to a Dark Forest green. Love the light! It's not a Limited Edition though. It's a brand exclusive to Maratac. But the issue is that if you buy a stock Black P16, you get a USB to USB-C charging cable. Plus, a high quality AceBeam branded 18650 with a charging slot built into the battery.

Guess which two included accessories did not come with the Maratac OD green edition. Oh and, no discount on price. Haven't seen the AceBeam branded 18650 batteries on sale separately on County Comm's website. But have seen the charging cables being sold separately. That's a bit suspicious. Also, the P16 doesn't use proprietary 18650 batteries. So, the AceBeam batts. will easily work in any other 18650 flashlight that doesn't use proprietary variations of the common 18650.

Another example can be seen with the latest variation of the Maratac watches. Anti-Magnetic and DLC coated. While their claims regarding the former are spot-on, they claim a DLC coating is great for scratch resistance. Actually, the truth is the exact opposite!

So yeah, just a couple of examples of seeing that long-gone shady behavior peeking from around the corner.
I definitely see what you mean. That's weird they wouldn't include a battery with a flashlight that comes with one from the factory. Their verbiage seemed odd here and there to me. Such as removing the pill on their flashlights will void the warranty and they somehow have an ability to tell if it was tampered with.

OTOH, their customer service has been spot on when I needed it. I had an issue with my first Ultem pen. The clip screw had stripped the Ultem. They promptly sent me a new one and paid for return shipping in the defective one.

Just because LG conducted the research it's hardly ancient that's quite an exaggeration, NoMoPhobia is a recognised phenomenon and whilst statistics may vary it's a concern for many despite whatever you may claim 😋

Except batteries have gotten much larger in the last few generations of phones after LG exited the market, so there is not as much issue any more. Either way, the whole premise of this topic is bizarre and says more about social dysfunction than anything. I mean really.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Except batteries have gotten much larger in the last few generations of phones after LG exited the market, so there is not as much issue any more. Either way, the whole premise of this topic is bizarre and says more about social dysfunction than anything. I mean really.

Sure it's real. My SO hammers her phone to the point that it dies on her somewhat routinely - despite the fact that she has powerbanks and the opportunity to charge at work or in her vehicle.

And the gains of larger batteries tend to be eaten by...
  • Screens : bigger / brighter / higher-resolution / faster-refreshing
  • Faster CPUs
  • 5G radios
  • Auxiliary radios : Bluetooth / NFC / WiFi
  • Usage patterns: Streaming audio / Streaming video / Videoconferencing / Various continuously-connected apps
  • Handwarmer mode (I kid, mostly)
The question is one of prevalence. And since the source - Electrontogo - is in the business of renting (or selling) banks of powerbanks for retailers and venue operators to provide to patrons, their financial incentives are clear: it's in their interest to tart up the perception of said fear to their prospective customers and the general public alike.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
OTOH, their customer service has been spot on when I needed it. I had an issue with my first Ultem pen. The clip screw had stripped the Ultem. They promptly sent me a new one and paid for return shipping in the defective one.
Yeah, the customer service is great. But, a few months back when I needed to contact them; noticed that there was no contact info. posted on the County Comm website for Returns. Perhaps they've changed that. But it took quite a bit of effort for me to track down where to contact them. There wasn't even a phone number nor an e-mail address.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
At my work sometimes I come across a crashed vehicle and when checking on the occupants 99.99% of the time they ask to use my phone because their's is dead or low on power. The younger they are the more likely that's the case.

Exactly... my idea of a phone related SHTF moment is when there is vehicle trouble and whilst trying to see what the problem is (with the phone light) the individual is also simultaneously draining the battery of the very device needed to make a call for assistance 🙄