Folks that don't EDC flashlights.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found this on a US gov site:

• FEMA collects data about people's preparedness stages in the annual National Household Survey on Disaster Preparedness. Past versions of the survey also include questions about motivations to prepare. FEMA uses the stages of change model, which breaks down preparedness behaviors into five categories:
  • People Who Are Unprepared
    • Precontemplation: The person has not prepared and does not intend to prepare in the next year.
    • Contemplation: The person has not prepared but intends to prepare in the next year.
    • Preparation: The person has not prepared but intends to prepare in the next six months.
  • People Who Are Prepared
    • Action: The person has been prepared for less than a year.
    • Maintenance: The person has been preparing for more than a year.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are 35 bucks for 1000 on amazon. since NY outlawed them for stores to give away free, many people buy them and use them for garbage, especially in buildings with trash chute, they are the right size to fit and not to clog the chute.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They are 35 bucks for 1000 on amazon. since NY outlawed them for stores to give away free, many people buy them and use them for garbage, especially in buildings with trash chute, they are the right size to fit and not to clog the chute.
Thankfully restaurants that do Take-out still supply them for free. But obviously, Working-class folks don't eat out every single day.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully restaurants that do Take-out still supply them for free. But obviously, Working-class folks don't eat out every single day.
I think you would be surprised at how many do. I had several coworkers that did. I don't know what their household income was, as I didn't know what all their spouse's did for a living, but they weren't making a whole lot of money, and they got fast food every weekday for lunch. I was amazed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think you would be surprised at how many do. I had several coworkers that did. I don't know what their household income was, as I didn't know what all their spouse's did for a living, but they weren't making a whole lot of money, and they got fast food every weekday for lunch. I was amazed.
That's why some folks stay Working-class.

Not judging (much) but I can remember having a fridge under my desk to make eating in cheap, while coworkers making far less were out for lunch every day.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
I'm a Voc teacher and I'm always giving my students a hard time for not carrying a flashlight. Way to many young people totally rely on their cellphones. I give them an assignment that requires a light and to use their phone at the same time. They are learning, slowly.
It is sad people are not prepared.

gimmealight

Newly Enlightened
I know for a fact that uniformed officers in New York are required to carry duty flashlights while on-duty. There's even a list of requirements. Ever wonder why so many NYPD officers used to carry black Maglite 2C incandescent flashlights? It was the cheapest model that met all of the NYPD's requirements for a Duty Light. Officers are technically issued their lights, but in reality have to pay for gear out of their own pockets.

Well the nice thing about Maglites is they're good for cracking badguys over the head. I used to keep a 5 D cell with me in the truck as a pursuader for times that pulling out something less pleasant was not a good option :)

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall a person saying my 5D was a weapon back in like 2011 or so but I didn't seem to think so. American policemen like 30 inch batons (Asp) so perhaps it is still to wide and short to be effective? Even swinging it around ruins the batteries.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I started my law enforcement career in 1988. We were issued Maglite flashlights that used 4 D batteries. Most of us also carried a smaller flashlight as well. I retired in 2008. I still make sure I have at least two flashlights with me any time I leave the house. I also keep one or two with me inside the house.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hawk did you use Super Heavy Duty batteries at the time? I ask because I seen a LEO ad that marketed them as tactical or something but by the early 90s they seemed to be anything but.

The Hawk

Enlightened
Hawk did you use Super Heavy Duty batteries at the time? I ask because I seen a LEO ad that marketed them as tactical or something but by the early 90s they seemed to be anything but.
I am trying to remember, but I think we were issued alkaline batteries. I know toward the end of my career we used alkaline batteries.

gimmealight

Newly Enlightened
I recall a person saying my 5D was a weapon back in like 2011 or so but I didn't seem to think so. American policemen like 30 inch batons (Asp) so perhaps it is still to wide and short to be effective? Even swinging it around ruins the batteries.

There is a big difference between police and not police in most jurisdictions. Maybe a baton gets you a night in the slammer and a heart to heart talk with a judge.

There are a lot of jobs where people work in a grey area. Sometimes a flashlight is just a flashlight ;)

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In WV or OH a baton must not be a big deal. I used to have one and it was taken as evidence but returned by some gov agents. If my probation terms weren't no weapons I would have kept it.

I think less lethal isn't so much as a concern for me personally. If I need a weapon I'd much prefer something deadly. The people that you might use that against in my country will tell any lie to make it seem the person defending theirself is the bad guy and are a burden to the tax paying working class anyways.