Folks that don't EDC flashlights.

The Hawk

Enlightened
We just returned from a trip to Texas to visit our son. We stayed in a hotel so the grandkids would have access to a pool while we were there. While we were there, a Microburst knocked the power out. The repair time was several days. Needless to say, I had several flashlights and batteries. I was amazed at how many people did not even have a flashlight in their car. We ended up staying with our son after all and it worked out fine. What kind of people don't even pack a flashlight while traveling?

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of people don't even pack a flashlight while traveling?
I'm trying to think of an acceptable, politically correct answer that would be appropriate for use in this forum, but none come to mind:) I'll just say 'not the kind of person I want to hang out with'. I'm not an ex-Boy Scout, but, please....!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I work in a plant with 50 people. No one other than me carries a light. We're nuts about lights so we always have a few on us. But most of the population get by just fine without them. I don't see how but that's how it is 😁

Monocrom

Flashaholic
We just returned from a trip to Texas to visit our son. We stayed in a hotel so the grandkids would have access to a pool while we were there. While we were there, a Microburst knocked the power out. The repair time was several days. Needless to say, I had several flashlights and batteries. I was amazed at how many people did not even have a flashlight in their car. We ended up staying with our son after all and it worked out fine. What kind of people don't even pack a flashlight while traveling?
Thoughtless people who think that nothing unexpected, unplanned or just plain bad can ever happen to them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Per your experience, a strong majority of the populace. Phone flashlight is good enough for most it seems.

I work in a plant with 50 people. No one other than me carries a light.
Having replaced all of the HVAC in my house in recent years I've seen a lot of contractors with varying flashlights. When seeking quotes one had an Olight, one insisted on using their phone, and one had a well-used Energizer headlamp. The lattermost had the best offer; when they were doing the installation I loaned the initial installation crew my Big Larry after watching them struggle with meh headlamps and dollar store grade lights (FWIW I hung a floro lamp in the attic years ago which casts ... some ... light where they were working) while the later tech doing the 'white collar' finishing work had the same Energizer headlamp.

340pd

Newly Enlightened
At the minimum, I keep two AA lights in the cars and one AAA lumintop, Fenix, or Maratac, on me at all times. The AAA is used multiple times per day. You never know you need one unless you keep one in the watch pocket of your jeans. Once you figure that out, it will be used on a regular basis.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst working I carry many lights (plus back-ups in a work bag) but only EDC one dailly (phone has no LED), my family members were gifted Olight iE3 EOS lights which now reside on their car/work keys, they're unsuspecting EDC'ers 🤣

You can't prepare all unforeseen events but a light is a good contingency 👍

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I worked EMS, I couldn't understand why many Police Officers and EMTs/Medics didn't carry flashlights especially while working the graveyard shifts.

I used mine many times even midday as many patients lived and worked in buildings with inadequate lighting.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When I worked EMS, I couldn't understand why many Police Officers and EMTs/Medics didn't carry flashlights especially while working the graveyard shifts.

I used mine many times even midday as many patients lived and worked in buildings with inadequate lighting.
I know for a fact that uniformed officers in New York are required to carry duty flashlights while on-duty. There's even a list of requirements. Ever wonder why so many NYPD officers used to carry black Maglite 2C incandescent flashlights? It was the cheapest model that met all of the NYPD's requirements for a Duty Light. Officers are technically issued their lights, but in reality have to pay for gear out of their own pockets.

Just amazing that some of them were walking around without required gear, such as their flashlights. But not surprising.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened

Those without a plan. BTDT, now and then, as we each have. (I figure it's Nature's way of saying my "plan" sucks.)

Be the one with a plan. It's often less painful. One of life's great understatements.

Which reminds me ... Gotta place another order with Malkoff. And have that Spyderco order arriving soon. And ...

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know for a fact that uniformed officers in New York are required to carry duty flashlights while on-duty. There's even a list of requirements. Ever wonder why so many NYPD officers used to carry black Maglite 2C incandescent flashlights? It was the cheapest model that met all of the NYPD's requirements for a Duty Light. Officers are technically issued their lights, but in reality have to pay for gear out of their own pockets.

Just amazing that some of them were walking around without required gear, such as their flashlights. But not surprising.
Yup, the newer classes have the Pelican light but I started in 2006ish and many police officers had an incandescent maglight with dim bulbs and dying batteries if they carried it at all.
At the time I had a mini mag, headlamp and a few other lights before getting a Surefire G2L. And than onto a Malkoff M61L drop in with a Zebralight headlamp.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in a plant with 50 people. No one other than me carries a light. We're nuts about lights so we always have a few on us. But most of the population get by just fine without them. I don't see how but that's how it is 😁
...until the SHTF. Then they are screwed, and become a statistic.

This is what I would say to the "lightless".

Disasters and emergencies are God's way of stating clearly "Be Prepared!". See that flash of lightning in the sky? Hear that rumble of thunder? Maybe feel the earth tremble under your feet? Hello! Someone is telling you something! You're NOT LISTENING!

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father's workplace, which will remain nameless, used to give out American made flashlights as safety awards. Lights with sheaths or in automotive kits.

Airplanes require them, police depts require them, medical industry requires them. There are a lot of lights around with professional types.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I've lost count of how many times I lent my light to servicemen for house and car repairs. Watching a handyman struggle with his phone's flash gives me far too much second-hand embarrassment. :ohgeez:

And yep, last time I traveled I for sure carried lights. Didn't know how it might go down in the airport (they were chill, thankfully), I packed two torches (Lumintop EDC01 and Convoy S2+) with the inserted batteries, and a 1-bay charger (Liitokala S1, love those). Didn't end up really needing them but still glad I took the extra weight — the only thing worse than being stuck out in the city without power is being stuck out in a city that you don't know without power.
To put it bluntly? Casualty statistics waiting to happen.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose folks at the chap stick forum cannot believe there are actually people who don't edc chap stick. Same with finger nail clipper forums, inkpen forums etc. At the MeGeyver forum they may be shocked that not everybody carries chewing gum, duct tape and kite string.

Note to self:

Add chap stick, finger nail clipper, another ink pen, chewing gum, more duct tape and kite string to EDC. Also, buy new backpack to carry EDC in.

Schedule regular weekly visit to chiropractor.

Last edited: