Brightstar 24W HID

That_Guy

Enlightened
lighting1288 said:
From the review and picture, they do look the same, most of the spec are the same. I am assuming they are made by the same manufacutre. so, why AE sell for alot more??? :candle:
Originally AE Light was going to be just a distributor for the BS. However, when they received the BS units they did not meet AE's standard of quality, so AE decided to use their own better quality reflectors. Since then they have made other improvements such as the protective rubber caps. That's why the AE is better and more expensive.

mdocod

Flashaholic
$10 says

After re-reading this thread it seems quite apparent to me the Lighting1288 = Kevinchho.

If I'm wrong I apologize but I'm almost never wrong

Mac

you're right

this is an obvious creation of a new account to boost awareness of the light and the place to buy it and the reasonable price tag..

when was the last time someone showed up on CPF, and as their first post, or one of their first posts, are talking about their neat new $200+ flashlight.. the reality is that it takes most people a lot of learning and time around here to realize the value of lights in that price class. There was something similar going on with the gladious/battery sales mentioned by someone else, in 3 different sections, in bold type, proclaming the awsomness of their recent purchase.

sorry but most people find us when they are looking for a nice new light, not to tell us they already found it.

Maximus

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.
I have the brightstar 24 watt and its a very nice light.
However, the claims made by Brightstar for light output are very exagerated.
I would guess mine puts out just over 1000 Lumens.
The run time is exactly as claimed - 135 minutes.
The charging system on the Brightstar IS better than the AE. The Brightstar has a seperate unit between the mains adaptor and flashlight. It looks like the AE Powerlight has the mains adaptor directly charging the flashlight and relying on the li-ion internal battery pack protection to disconnect the charge supply.

I think the AE has an improved reflector and ballast over the Brightstar hence greater light output. Also the AE has a seperate ballast and reflector/bulb. This is a much better design, as if the bulb breaks on the Brightstar you have to replace the whole bulb/reflector/ballast unit !!!

Lando

Newly Enlightened
Maximus said:
I think the AE has an improved reflector and ballast over the Brightstar hence greater light output. Also the AE has a seperate ballast and reflector/bulb. This is a much better design, as if the bulb breaks on the Brightstar you have to replace the whole bulb/reflector/ballast unit !!!

This is not actually the case, the bulb and ballast can be separated with the Brightstar by removing 2 small screws at the base of the bulb support. (although I don't recommend you do that unless you really have to because this might void your warranty).
Both lights have their strong and weak points, it all depends on what is important to the individual.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lando said:
This is not actually the case, the bulb and ballast can be separated with the Brightstar by removing 2 small screws at the base of the bulb support. (although I don't recommend you do that unless you really have to because this might void your warranty).
It seems that the AE is brighter then the Brightstar but the trade off is that the AE burns for less then 1 hour, I think I even saw 45 min quoted on the CPF forum somewhere.
Both lights have their strong and weak points, it all depends on what is important to the individual.

Less than an hour?

It's more like 100-110 minutes

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maximus said:
Hi all.
I have the brightstar 24 watt and its a very nice light.
However, the claims made by Brightstar for light output are very exagerated.
I would guess mine puts out just over 1000 Lumens.
The run time is exactly as claimed - 135 minutes.
The charging system on the Brightstar IS better than the AE. The Brightstar has a seperate unit between the mains adaptor and flashlight. It looks like the AE Powerlight has the mains adaptor directly charging the flashlight and relying on the li-ion internal battery pack protection to disconnect the charge supply.

The AE Light also includes the charging cradle. You can charge the battery inside the light, or remove it and charge it outside the light in the charging cradle.

Mac

fltundra

Newly Enlightened
Lando said:
It seems that the AE is brighter then the Brightstar but the trade off is that the AE burns for less then 1 hour, I think I even saw 45 min quoted on the CPF forum somewhere.

That is untrue, my PL-24 runs 2 hours.

Lando

Newly Enlightened
I prob remembered wrong about the runtime and I don't actually own the AE. The CPF forum won't let me search at the moment(I get an error) so no way for me to check.

dc

Newly Enlightened
Actually, for the Brightstar 24w, there is 2 battery for it, namely the 4400mah & the 5200mah. i choose to buy the 5200mah battery and i have 2 of these. Both battery give me run time of at least 150 minutes repeatedly. Lastly, this is just for info.

Rgrds,
DC