Cars, Man

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
I'm a huge fan of Subaru. Just remember that while their horizontally-opposed Boxer engines are a very good engines with a low centre of gravity, they have some odd thermal propagation properties. This means that you must warm them up thoroughly and cool them down properly. Even with this, the rings will heat and oil unevenly because, well, physics; so they have an inherently shorter service life.
They come into their own when being driven hard and maintained and rebuilt regularly.
My younger brother had the engine removal on his Subaru Legacy down to around 20 minutes back in the day…
While we have created some 'aftermarket solutions' for the oil leaks and thermal issues, in these engines, I would not recommend most Subarus for quiet driving and reliable ownership.
What is the cooling down process? I know about keeping after oil levels and changes+warming up but it's the first I heard about cooling.
Just picked up a 2016 Forester in June. New car days are long since over. And so far it's great. Wish I could've found a manual though but we were in a spot.
Very first thing I did was CVT service and differential(s) fluid change. Change my own oil.
🫰
Here in central Pa. just about every third car is a Subaru. They're everywhere.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the cooling down process? I know about keeping after oil levels and changes+warming up but it's the first I heard about cooling.
Just picked up a 2016 Forester in June. New car days are long since over. And so far it's great. Wish I could've found a manual though but we were in a spot.
Very first thing I did was CVT service and differential(s) fluid change. Change my own oil.
🫰
Here in central Pa. just about every third car is a Subaru. They're everywhere.
Depending on how many miles are on your CVT.
Some trans were equipped with shifter solenoids that get gummed up. Check online to see if your Forester has factory extended warranty for that issue..

Curious,, how did you put fluid into the tranny case since there is No engine bay filler tube, or even a dip stick to check on these CVT?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Little bit of research.... Oh, Jatco CVTs for Subaru vehicles.
Those things are absolute :poop:

Get the CVT flushed every 30,000 miles.
If you want that thing to work somewhat reliably.
They can go over 100,000 miles. But only if they are taken care of.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Manuals are great until you have a girlfriend in the middle of the bench seat, then you want that right arm to not have to be shifting gears.;)
Oh yeah! Loved cruising with my girlfriend in my bench seat, torqueflite '68 Roadrunner!
Several years later when we broke up, I converted it to a bucket seat floor shifter...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
My fav cars I owned was a 75 nova ugly as hect paint was faded smelled bad but cost me one pay check and got me around well. And a 86 Ford exp . Was cheap to and had nice radio lol.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barbara Eden and her 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 428 Cobra Jet :clap:

BE.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Still want an old style looking car with a modern drive train . Like from a Mercedes the one with the 2 litter 4 banger making like 450 hp! It's crazy what modern tech can do. Hect in the mid 70s some 454 sized engines only made like 200 hp.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

For 2024, the Ford F-150 Raptor R will boast 720 horsepower and 640 lb-ft of torque from its 5.2-liter supercharged V8

1703174228984.jpeg