Cars, Man

bykfixer

Flashaholic
IMG_2660.jpeg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ford's list of recalls has become extensive!
It's seriously not even worth looking at their current offerings.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 10 speed tranny the new Explorers will have has held up fairly well. The only qualm I've had with them is not the tranny but the computer tells it when to shift gears. It's a learning computer that tries to get max mpg based on your driving style. If you start out and drive the same path every time it works great.

Say you leave work on the same path for the first quarter mile it shifts smoothly. But one day you decide to go right instead of left and give the computer a different set of instructions on when to shift, it acts like it got confused.

Example, you normally make a right, travel 100 yards to a signal so it shifts 1st, 3rd, 5th and then you slow down at an intersection.... it knows what to do. But today you make a right and there's no intersection for a ways. It shifts 1st, 3rd, 5th? or do I shift to 6th this time? It hesitates if you drive like grandma. If you squash the accelorator pedal no trouble with hesitation. Mine struggles deciding to use 3rd or 4th sometimes. But that's because I drive like grandma most of the time.

Whenever I need to get where I'm going quickly it's the smoothest shifting tranny Ford ever used. Light turns green, next quarter mile is an interstate ramp with a short accelaration lane it goes 1st to 10th so smooth you don't feel it shift.

The new Explorers have that tranny. Heck most US made vehicles now either have them or will soon. Ram trucks, Chevy Camaros, F-150's etc.

Nobody is building them to last anymore. It's all about faster and faster production. Even Hondas and Toyotas don't hold up like they used to. I've told my kids don't buy new, have your old faithful rebuilt stem to stern instead. If you have something you like and it's becoming a maintenace hassle spend the money for rebuilding it. If you do buy new and finance it, get an extended warranty for at least the life of the loan. It's cheap and worth every penny.

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
1705350209264.png

I saw that the next gen Charger has quite a few photos out. Stellantis has said that they are making this an EV only. However it has a transmission tunnel. Which makes me wonder if they will use the 3.0 liter twin turbo inline six in some hybrid variety or standard ICE.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 56013

I saw that the next gen Charger has quite a few photos out. Stellantis has said that they are making this an EV only. However it has a transmission tunnel. Which makes me wonder if they will use the 3.0 liter twin turbo inline six in some hybrid variety or standard ICE.
Probably engineering it for when they eventually dump the EV version, they can easily switch to putting ICEs in them. Makes perfect sense to me.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Probably engineering it for when they eventually dump the EV version, they can easily switch to putting ICEs in them. Makes perfect sense to me.
I think if they build one chassis that has a transmission tunnel but they put in a plastic filler for the Frunk on the off chance its an EV model, it seems easier and cheaper to mass produce. I would like to see the next gen charger/challenger line with the 3.0 hurricane engine. I like the idea of 490 HP to the wheels when the electric turbos spool up. Then again, I prefer performance cars and no EV is a performance car. Its just lots of instant power and torque with a long charge time.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why can't they take that ICE, attach a generator to it, and feed electric motors at the wheels with the generator? Then you would have the power of the electric motors with the convenience of a gasoline engine.

Outlaw10.5

Newly Enlightened
2004 mach1 Mustang 25th Anniversary addition. Gutted in 2012 and rebuilt by Tube Chassis Designz in Hanson, Ma for Outlaw 10.5 series drag racing. It's powered by a 1130 hp 632 ci Jon Kaase racing engine. It takes about 1200hp to run the 8.50 bracket in the quarter mile so I hit it with a 150 shot of nitrous oxide a few seconds after launch.
This car usually traps at 168-170 mph. And uses every bit of that chute to slow down before the turn off.
IMG_4468.jpeg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
From Honda

The logo on the car is pre-1981. The new logo signifies Honda Zero. Eh, kinda clever I suppose.
+

Fast skimmed the autoweek article just looking at the new cars for the most part, the emblem caught my eye.
I stopped reading their EV articles quite a while ago.
Hopefully they keep the H for the most part and keep making ICE cars, even if alot are hybrids.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Honda and Toyota are investing very heavily in the electric car idea. I know the US big 3 claim they are but if they are doing it the typical way the big 3 do every thing else I don't see a bright future for them. Deservedly so in my view.

Back in the 80's they were getting killed by the Japanese manufacturers who were building durable cars that got great gas mileage yet the big 3 answer was to build more junk. Oh, some looked cool and got decent mpg but they didn't hold up.

The thing about history is it shows the big 3 don't learn from history. They keep building Vega's, Pinto's and K cars with a fresh skin.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Couple weeks ago I was in my drive 'area' finishing adding winter tire pressure to my tires.
Down the street came a Grande Cherokee and it pulled up toward me,,, saw it was my brother-in-law.
Figured it was a loaner from the dealership 'cause my sister drives a Grand Cherokee.

Said to my brother-in-law, 'that new' he said 'it is, finally let my Cayenne go'
Then he went on saying he put 287,000mi. on his Cayenne // That's alot folks, for a permanent 4wd vehicle with a strong V8.

Saw right away a small door on the front quarter panel for recharging, I said 'plug-in' he said 'yea along with a 2L turbo engine'
We talked about specs and other stuff like the electric motor is in the middle of the car, air suspension etc. etc...
It's a '22 and he got it for $10K off, so likely a pretty good deal.

When he pulled away, I never saw a Grand Cherokee so fast,, instant torque from the electric.
Not sure if he said the mpg, but does it really matter? ___ kinda__:sssh:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Audi won Dakar Rally again with their e-tron,
It uses a 2L ICE engine to turn a generator to produce the electricity to race it.
(the ICE engine alone would not nearly be enough to get it full race horsepower/torque)
Very involved, but it tests the concept in the most extreme way.

1705763820968.jpeg

some more info

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
+

Audi won Dakar Rally again with their e-tron,
It uses a 2L ICE engine to turn a generator to produce the electricity to race it.
(the ICE engine alone would not nearly be enough to get it full race horsepower/torque)
Very involved, but it tests the concept in the most extreme way.

View attachment 56319

some more info

It'd be interesting to see the basic specs of that RS Q racing machine, as compared to, say, RS Q8 (gas). The 590hp RS Q8 is a 5000 lb wonder. I wonder how much weight they shaved doing a custom racing chassis and configuration.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'd be interesting to see the basic specs of that RS Q racing machine, as compared to, say, RS Q8 (gas). The 590hp RS Q8 is a 5000 lb wonder. I wonder how much weight they shaved doing a custom racing chassis and configuration.
+

Remember those Audi diesel prototypes..
I saw those race at Road America back in the ALMS days, for years that car won everything including 24 hour races.
Low rpm & tall gearing, the thing just couldn't be beat.

When they would fly past at any part of the track, they were almost silent, you could heat more air coming off the various wings than any engine sounds.
It was freaky that they were so fast,,,, maybe the diesel used had an extra oxygen molecule attached, who knows .