Cars, Man

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont think they make the car i want anymore i just want say a honda hatchback 5 speed manual tranny no hvac. ...no fancy rims .led head lights come on now im no hethen lol.. . basic car seats. a decent radio... .but then again i like motorcycles better so much cheaper to repair ..... but then again a nice basic mini can id like to. just basic easy to fix etc etc... but today they add to much stuff

iacchus

Enlightened
It's a niche product, and fills a need. I avoided the AWD version for the fleet truck we bought because we just didn't need it. The truck is replacing an SUV for a mold and asbestos inspector. It will never haul much weight, maybe a few coolers and a ladder. Needs a bed though, the SUV didn't quite cut it. We need the samples separate from the cab when hauling possibly hazardous stuff.

The FWD Maverick is pretty much exactly what we needed and nothing we didn't. I'm glad they were an option.
We've got a 2022 Ranger. I don't really think much of it, tbh. A bit more legroom than the Tacoma still though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i dont think they make the car i want anymore i just want say a honda hatchback 5 speed manual tranny no hvac. ...no fancy rims .led head lights come on now im no hethen lol.. . basic car seats. a decent radio... .but then again i like motorcycles better so much cheaper to repair ..... but then again a nice basic mini can id like to. just basic easy to fix etc etc... but today they add to much stuff
Well, the current generation Mini Cooper is finally decently reliable. But popular. So yeah.... Highly overpriced. I think the best example of a hatchback Honda still available today but only in used condition, would be the Honda Fit. (Honda Jazz in pretty much every country outside America.) The basic trim might have been available with a Manual.

Two other contenders for a basic hatchback if you don't mind looking outside of Honda, Mitsubishi Mirage or the Chevy Spark. On the used market, these two are bargains. But be sure a mechanic checks them out before you buy one. Those are going to be your best bets.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i had a ford maverick in like 1990 cost me like 200 ugly as hell but i drove it all over loved it i was laughed at i didnt car it was payed for.. had a nice radio.i love the maverick trucks.. ....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i loved the fit. im a basic guy i hate thrills just something to get in my way when i work on it..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
i had a ford maverick in like 1990 cost me like 200 ugly as hell but i drove it all over loved it i was laughed at i didnt car it was payed for....
Yup, that's the main thing. If she's reliable and paid off, that's all that counts. My 2009 Mazda 6, V6 sSport trim is nearly 20 years old. But that many years of preventative maintenance means she's running nearly as well as the day I bought her.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Yup, that's the main thing. If she's reliable and paid off, that's all that counts. My 2009 Mazda 6, V6 sSport trim is nearly 20 years old. But that many years of preventative maintenance means she's running nearly as well as the day I bought her.
love mazdas me and me buddy used to flip them he buys them i fix them we resold them loved the 323s and 626s. but only in manuals. i dont like autos

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Mazda is one of the only car companies left that give drivers a real automatic transmission. Not that CVT garbage that requires far more maintenance, can still fail miserably on you, and usually costs twice as much to repair as a classic 6-speed automatic.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Over the years I'v had several AWD vehicles.

When it came to buying my Santa Fe Sport new, I specifically chose FWD.
Driving just the front wheels saves in moving parts, gas and is lighter overall.

Even being in Wisconsin and can anything as precipitation in winter, I still chose FWD,,
most people think my suv is AWD when they look at it.

It's 6 speed automatic ~ I can do a manual (sequential) shifting mode if I want, can take my engine to near redine (which is over 6000 rpm)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Speaking of the Ford Maverick.
I'm just still blown away by the concept of a front-wheel drive truck.... and the fact that a sizeable amount of people are buying it.
I'm crushed that you don't see the benefit of a front-wheel drive truck? Especially since you live in the NE where there is snow each and every winter.

For a few years my brother and I owned a Dodge Dakota rear wheel drive pick up. It couldn't get out of its way on wet pavement when it had an empty bed. The few FWD vehicles I had, did not have that problem. Buick Century, Ford taurus, Ford Windstar, each had front wheel drive, and I never got stuck in the snow, and you know what snowed in conditions can be like in the NYC metropolitan area can be like when they have no place to put the snow.

For those of you don't don't know: they plow the snow out of the center of the road into the sides of the street where the cars are parked. The owner's need to dig their cars out, and often throw the snow back into the street, where it is plowed back into the spot just ahead of them. This is where one gets lots of practice of rocking a car back and forth, to try to get the car out of a plowed in spot. FWD works much better that RWD.