Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

niemidc

Newly Enlightened
Re: Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Head

A couple of quick notes from a StenLight designer:

- We shipped the first units to Inner Mountain Outfitters today, they should be in their stock sometime tomorrow.

- The production units have a fairly sturdy bolt-based swivel, not the rivet-based swivel we tried out on some of the prototype units. It weights an extra 5 g but we believe the extra sturdiness and the ability to adjust its tightness (and swap switch handedness) is worth it.

- The production models have one 5 degree lens and one 15 degree lens. It provides a pretty good general-purpose beam pattern, good for caving or outdoor use or bicycling. As PeLu pointed out, separate controls would be complex, not least of which being that we'd need to find a place to put the separate switches.

- Series connection of the LEDs permits significantly higher electrical efficiency and permits current regulation with one circuit. Wouldn't work well with parallel unless you had VERY careful matching; just getting LEDs from the same bin wouldn't be nearly close enough.

- As for redundancy, it is very possible for one LED to fail and the other to keep working when they are in series -- if it fails shorted or the circuit has a short, or even if you put one LED in backwards! The circuit will keep on working and still correctly regulate current to the surviving LED. We have actually tested this scenario. In parallel, if one fails even partially shorted it's totally dead, and if one fails open you send twice the current to the other, perhaps killing it too. So it's not intuitively obvious, but redundancy actually works better in the series connection when you're doing current regulation. Then again Luxeons are pretty darn reliable when you treat them right, and LED failures are probably not the most important thing to worry about.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
niemidc said:As PeLu pointed out, separate controls would be complex, not least of which being that we'd need to find a place to put the separate switches.

[/ QUOTE ]

David,
could be done with a single switch, but thats to decide when the decision is made to design such a light .-)

niemidc

Newly Enlightened

Well, it could be done with a single switch and a CPU to keep track of what you're trying to tell it. But unless I'm missing something, that would be a totally different kind of switch.

jtice

Flashaholic

Hi niemidc, and welcome aboard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Series connection seemed the way to go on this one,
the redundancy adds to the reliability of the unit.

I am interested to see how the 5 and 15 degree optics work together.
Half the fun of this light, will be rounding up all the optics we can, and trying them all out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good to hear things are moving along,
cant wait to order mine!

~John

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened

Looks great, but for mountaineering and hiking, i wonder whether they will come out with a simple headband?

niemidc

Newly Enlightened

Yes, we do plan to produce a headband mount version in the future, but we don't yet have a schedule for it.

niemidc

Newly Enlightened

Another note: the StenLight is now up on the Inner Mountain Outfitters web site (http://www.caves.org/imo/LED.htm#S7). Hope that isn't too shamelessly commercial, but we've worked long and hard to get this thing on the market...

dar

Newly Enlightened

Sweet, just placed my order from IMO. $310 for the complete system (light, one battery, charger). $5 for a helmet mount (16-9802 L-2 Bracket) to fit my Ecrin Roc.

I'll be giving this baby a test run this coming weekend in Simmons-Mingo and My Cave (WV).

niemidc: Let me be the first to say "excellent job!"

dar

Newly Enlightened

Got my StenLight in the mail today! Unfortunately, IMO forgot to ship my helmet mount; argh.

- The hinge is different than the pre-production model I saw. It now has a threaded bolt and nut rather than two rivets. There's a plastic shim on both sides so you can adjust tightness with the bolt/nut and not have them loosen back up.

- It is bright! The regular setting is brighter than my Petzl Duo 7 LED on high, the high setting blows it away, and the turbo... The turbo setting lights up things in my neighbors' yards from my back porch, something none of my LED lights are able to do. The throw is very impressive. For once I expect to use a light at it's "regular" setting most of the time (rather than skipping regular for high like with a Myo or Duo).

- Negative points for the lack of a mounting system. I have to go through the trouble of buying a blade mount, drill holes in my helmet (which voids Petzl's warranty on it) to mount it. The blade mount on my helmet makes it hard to switch to a headstrap light for backup. The battery mounts with glorified velcro (adhering it to my helmet also voids Petzl's warranty)! Granted, this stuff (3M Dual Lock) is heavy duty, but I don't know how much of a shock it'll handle

More comments after I use it in-cave this weekend.

jtice

Flashaholic

dar,

Good to hear you like it, I shall have mine soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I too would like to see more mounting options.
But they are planned int eh future I think.

I will be making some mounts for various things, including an attachment to my cameras tripod threading.

Curious, I have seen it two ways in photos...
does the cord plug directly into the Stenlight?
or is there a perminate cord coming out of the light?

ah, BTW, you gonna bring it to the next Grotto meeting? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I am plannign to attend the next one.

~John

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dar said:
Got my StenLight in the mail today!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem!

!?!?!?!PICTURES!?!?!?!?!

:)

-john

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

dar said:- Negative points for the lack of a mounting system. I have to go through the trouble of buying a blade mount, drill holes in my helmet (which voids Petzl's warranty on it) to mount it.

The blade mount is quite a standard among miners and cavers.

And how do you think original Petzl lights are mounted?

(and BTW, I do not know anybody who ever needed a warranty with a Petzl helmet)

Last edited:

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some pictures would be great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Curtis

dar

Newly Enlightened

PeLu: I think blade mounts are a relic that do not apply to the modern headlamp. By modern headlamp, I mean an electric unit with battery attached to the helmet. A blade would only make sense here if one were used both in the front and the back of the helmet. It does make sense with a Carbide lamp or an electric with the battery waist-mounted, because the lamp need only attach to the helmet at a single point.

When I talk about voiding the warranty on my Petzl helmet, it's not because I'm concerned with getting a refund on it! What I mean is that according to Petzl's warranty, they disclaim all responsibility for my brains coming out of my head if I drill any holes in the helmet myself, or if I apply any stickers or adhesives to it, presumably because the adhesive could weaken the plastic. This is the reason that new Petzl helmets have a textured finish rather than the old smooth finish, to keep people from putting stickers on them.

jtice: I brought it to the WVU Grotto's meeting last night to show it off. I'll bring it to Monday's Mon Grotto meeting so you can play with it if you haven't gotten yours yet.

BTW, I've had my Sten sitting on my desk pointing at the wall on 'high' setting for 4.5 hours now, and the spot has just barely diminished. The lamp is noticibly warm to the touch sitting in still air.

I will try to take photos of the unit this evening and post them here, though I won't have the time to do beam comparisons until sunday. I'll compare shots of the StenLight vs. Petzl Duo 8 LED vs. Petzl Myo 5.

Also, I found a compilation of comments from pre-production (pre-swivelling-hinge) beta-users surveying in Hellhole here: http://mailman.stensat.org/pipermail/stenlite-users/2005-May/000001.html

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking forward to those shots and also looking forward to Stenlight producing just a regular head strap for this beast. I will buy one today if it was available.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Curtis

jtice

Flashaholic

dar,

I can understand about the helmet, but if your brains are oozing out your head,
calling Petzl will not be toward the top of your list of things to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mod away ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif thats what its all about.

It would be nice to have better, well, at least, more common mounting options right now,
but I think the blade setup is strong. at least I have heard...

Is it basically a slot, that the metal spade of the Stenlight goes in?

That would be great if you could bring it to the meeting,
I wont have mine by then, and I am dieing to check it out in person.

I imagine it gets really warm just sitting on a table,
theres not really that much metal there to disapate teh heat,
though it does have builtin thermal protection, so it should be fine.
It should shut down if it gets too hot, or at least drop in output.

Thanks for the update.

~John

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dar said:
PeLu: I think blade mounts are a relic that do not apply to the modern headlamp.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I think is is a good standard for interchangeability. Although it has it's limits, it works for most cavers.
Yes, tastes are different.

[ QUOTE ]
When I talk about voiding the warranty on my Petzl helmet, it's not because I'm concerned with getting a refund on it!

[/ QUOTE ]
We just don't care too much, we explore caves instead .-)

As I prefer to run the cables inside the hardhat, I have to drill several holes anyway.

BTW, how ist the battery pack covered?
Does it look sturdy enough?
I would like to have a pack with 4 cells.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully stenlight will start working on the headband for this light so I can go ahead and get one to use as a "regular" headlamp and not on a helmet.

Curtis

Last edited:

jtice

Flashaholic

There are plans for bike mounts and headlamp mounts.
Though I do not know how soon we will see them.

I got to check out the Stenlight last night at the local Grotto meeting.
I have to say, it was hard giving it back to dar. ;)

Seems really nice, good fit and finish,
switch is robust, and could easily be operated with gloved, muddy hands.
Front SS bezel gave it a nice touch.

LOT of output per size ratio.

Weeakpoint,
The battery pack and cable could be alittle more robust.
But this will be told with time, I should have mine within a couple weeks.
And plan to make my own battery packs for it. I am not sure how I want to handle the cables etc yet.

The cable, and pack are basically covered in thick shrink wrap.

I am thinking a velcro strap mounted on the back of my helmet, to strap around the batt pack. I also plan to run the cable inside the helmet.

~John

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

QUOTE=cue003]Hopefully stenlight will start working on the headband for this light[/QUOTE]

Just use one from another company. Speleo Technics, for example offers a headband for exactly this purpose.
Or cannibalize a cheap headlamp instead.
Or get the necessary spares from Petzl (as usual for Petzl., every single bolt is available seperate).

jtice said:
The battery pack and cable could be alittle more robust.
Still not worse than Lupine.

The cable, and pack are basically covered in thick shrink wrap.
Is there no additional cover over the cells?