Chinese flashlight and the descriptions in ENGLISH

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Spiel cheque missus tings wen spieled defiantly butt nut incorrigibly

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which brings me to another point. If you have a very fast computer, you may want to upgrade your brakes to bigger rotors and better pads. I'm just sayin'....

:eek:oo: you might be right.... I wouldn't want it to crash!

[...]
Pop Sci had an article about new speakers from Sony that work from 87.5mhz to 108 Mhz. Now THAT is some speaker! You can use them to broadcast FM radio.

Daniel

Hmmm... they must be inside a vacuum to move that fast, that would explain why they need to transmit radio waves :D

Spiel cheque missus tings wen spieled defiantly butt nut incorrigibly

Yup... I get that sometimes, but nut DAT bed. Sometimes I also get corrections from the right word into another word that makes absolutely no sense. The spell check dictionaries are not always complete...

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I can usually handle Chinglish, but manuals and instructions are a special case. They really need to get them right.

Case in point; I bought a VFD to control the motor on a machine in my shop. It's configured by setting 172 variables labeled P0 to P171. As I read the manual, I find a section that is numbered obviously out of order and the verbiage was partially copied from an earlier section and poorly edited. Doing it wrong will have unknown impact on the motor. Minor things like destroying it or running backwards. Sigh.

Fortunately I found a "corrected" version online and I was able to determine that I was not using those variables anyway. It really made me sweat for a few hours, since I'd already rebuilt the machine to use the new motor and controller.

Daniel

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I feel sympathy for anyone who has to market their product in another language, I have no respect for anyone who botches it. Proofreading is a basic part of all marketing.

Just as I lose confidence in a magazine like Popular Science when they make glaring errors, I have to doubt the quality of the product when they could not take the time to produce advertising copy or manuals that are at least readable and understandable.

Pop Sci had an article about new speakers from Sony that work from 87.5mhz to 108 Mhz. Now THAT is some speaker! You can use them to broadcast FM radio.

Daniel

Daniel. You just have to understand that these speakers are very innovative... :devil:

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree. Some of these companies are pretty big and they still don't want to spend
a dime to get a decent translation done.

Hell, I am fluent in Spanish and I went into Lowe's one day and saw this sign in Spanish that was incorrect.
So, who's the idiot you employed to do this for you? You know this is done in their corporate office and probably
by someone making much more money than I do and here I am, can't even get a decent $10/hour job :shakehead

I see this everywhere around here. Lots of Hispanics and lots of stuff in Spanish and almost EVER sign is incorrect.

Years ago, I was looking to buy something and in those days everything was very expensive.
I asked for a brochure and they sent me a photocopy of one. I never did buy the item.

Hell, the way this is going with the Internet 'n all, it's going to get much worse :(

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: :banghead: :shakehead
Imagine how fast those voice coils must be moving to do that. They've apparently found a way to suspend certain physical laws involving mass, accelleration and friction, not to mention inductive and capacitive reactance. Yeah, I want to see those speakers.:rolleyes:

If they suspended certain physical laws, do you think they might also work as a time machine? If so, that would be awesome.
I REALLY want to see how they built the pyramids!

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it, but I think the digital age has inspired a certain level of laziness when it comes to writing. Back in the age of the typewriter, you could be pretty damn sure the writer would be thorough or he/she would have to type the whole page over again. I see so many typos in both newspapers and magazines (both online and printed), that I wonder what the editorial process must be like. As I understand it, publications or news organizations have proof readers--or at least they used to. I sometimes wonder if all they do is check for words underlined in red in the word processor before sending it off to the presses. Sometimes they don't even seem to do that, as there are often spelling errors as well.

"A CERTAIN level of laziness?"

Understatement of the year bro.

I was around in the days when working with a font on computers also included skills and knowledge about kerning and all that.
This is gone now and I am sooo tired of seeing

There when it should Their
Lense when it should be Lens
Amature when it should be Amateur and so on

This professor I watched on tv last night said something about someone selling something and he said SOLDED instead of SOLD.
Really? I finished high school and that was it.

I could read and write when I was 7. Watch the kids these days.

Anyone ever watch the show BEYOND SCARED STRAIGHT?

Watch the kids that they sent to jail for a day and see how they talk.

Anyone ever see this video clip? Not only is she apparently an idiot but she insists on correcting the man...

http://youtu.be/NQCfiG0FFzw

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why it's important not to flaunt your stupidity but like I always say, "Only smart people know that/when they're stupid" ...or however you want to word it. Never did
figure out a good way to word it though :(

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's why it's important not to flaunt your stupidity but like I always say, "Only smart people know that/when they're stupid" ...or however you want to word it. Never did
figure out a good way to word it though :(

It can't work because you can't really be stupid if you're smart. You could still say or do something stupid.

How about: "Only smart people know when they say or do something stupid. They might be smart enough not to let you find out, though..."

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I read that inept people are seldom aware that they are inept. As a result, they have no incentive to improve. They are also prone to become upset when accused of stupidity.

This explains why the vast majority of car drivers rate themselves as above average. Almost all of them. :)

Daniel

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can't work because you can't really be stupid if you're smart. You could still say or do something stupid.

How about: "Only smart people know when they say or do something stupid. They might be smart enough not to let you find out, though..."

Yep, that's kinda what I meant but it's hard to formulate I think.

It's easier the other way around "You're too stupid to know that you're stupid.."

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read that inept people are seldom aware that they are inept. As a result, they have no incentive to improve. They are also prone to become upset when accused of stupidity.

This explains why the vast majority of car drivers rate themselves as above average. Almost all of them. :)

Daniel

Yeah, this is ANOTHER side of MY coin so to speak...stupid people do NOT know that they are stupid.

I had a friend of mine that DID know he was stupid and he was, BUT, to me, that makes him smart or smarter than most...the things he used to do but we had fun :)
Especially that time he fell off my scooter and started rolling downhill :)

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
LMAO at how embarrassed she got when he pointed it out in the dictionary for her!

As self centered and narcissistic as many of these Hollywood celebs are, I'm actually surprised she didnt continue to argue that the dictionary was wrong!

Anyway, back to OP subject: Here's a description I read when looking online for higher powered laser pointers last year...

"Power Rock Blue 1W laser Torch is O-like new design ,Cute but durable . it is perfect appearance disposal and structure ,brilliant and attractive with such smart torch"

I didnt buy it, as I read something about a "blue light hazard" involving not only blue lasers, but supposedly high powered/high brightness blue color frequencies can cause eye damage over time, or faster with blue lasers. But supposedly for the price, the O-Like lasers are decent quality. You can get them in a range of color frequencies, but I already have a 30mW green, 100mW red, and 80mW violet, and I hardly ever use them, so....

Latest posts