Chris Reeve Umnumzaan

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
adamlau,

Nice! Thanks for the pics!

Can you elaborate on why and how the umnun is a definite upgrade from the sebbie? I'd love to hear some good excuses *cough* I mean reasons why I should buy one of these.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Heftier. I am used to carrying fixed blades with either full, or skeletonized tangs. The 'Zaan more closely mimics the weight and feel of similarly sized Bussekins and Barkies.
2. Smoother action out of the box. No, it is not as smooth as a blade with a newly oiled and loosened pivot screw, but it is smoother than my relatively unused large Sebbie.
3. Blade indentation along the spine. Serves a dual purpose in allowing one to choke up on the blade and to protect the fingers as a pseudo guard when the glass breaker is deployed for use.
4. No cutout for the lockbar. Although it makes one handed closing more difficult, I prefer that the release mechanism remain unexposed under use.
5. Stonewash. The finish is a relatively fine stonewash (unlike the roughshod XM-18) and as such, benefits from a good balance between corrosion resistance and ease of maintenance.
6. Quieter action. The clack earned from the ceramic ball against the lockface is there, but the acoustical signature has indeed been reduced.
7. Less aggressive jimping. Still provides for excellent purchase without biting into the digits under hard use.
8. Cross checkering. Provides a noticeable improvement in grip when handled in various positions.

um-checkering.jpg

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have had an Umnumzaan arrive at my house recently!! WOW, what an incredible knife!! It IS a big knife, but it is incredible!! It is so smooth too. It is a very, very impressive knife. Here are my pix:
Umnumzaanopen.jpg

Umnumzaanclosed-clipsidde.jpg

Umnumzaanlockup2.jpg

Umnumzaanlockup1.jpg

Umnumzaantip.jpg

Umnumzaan-closed.jpg

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
so is the upper swedge (near the tip) sharpened? semi-sharp?

i didnt think it was sharpened, then i thought maybe it was from the pics, but now seeing it exposed when the knife is closed i dont see how it could be... help! thanks :)

guyg

Newly Enlightened
Got mine Friday. Born on Date of 9-8-8. $400 plus shipping. My BM sold his 3 before they had arrived. I dont like the lack of cutout for the lockbar, but I see why it was done. Otherwise, I really like it. BTW according to my BM, there isnt much difference from the Sebenza 21 and the older one. And I'm glad to hear they are looking at a new Umfaan. Although it deminishes the value of mine. There were only about 450 made.
Add.. the top is a thick grind that could be finished with a thick edge. Mine was real close to being sharp.

Last edited:

Gadget Guy

Newly Enlightened
Here is one that I gave a slight antique finish:

USNPostItems104.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. I sent it back to CRK for an overhaul and its now 100% perfect again. :thumbsup: