• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *Closed* Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sales thread

elnino

Enlightened
On 06-17-2006:
winny said:
Bad news. Alexander will start working on Monday which means that we are down to zero persons who can do any hardware jobs. What we can do is program a bunch of uCs now and send them to people with problems if they feel skilled with a soldering iron and want it fixed now. Then they can do so at their own risk.
The rest of you will unfortunately wait for about 5 weeks until Alex gets back and I will too shortly after, then we can perhaps build the last ones and fix any remaining regulators.
It's been about four weeks now and still waiting patiently...:popcorn:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
elnino,

I understand your eager! I would like to begin working soon too but my hands are tied as I'm working (at least this week) and Alexander "had to" (although he did not have a gun pressed against his head, saying no was not an option) work two weeks more than expected.

I'm seriously thinking about trashing the PIR 1 project and simply build PIR 1.1's and replace broken 1.0's with 1.1's. It's probably more reliable and definitely cheaper. We'll see...

In the mean-time, patience! :)

elnino

Enlightened
Winny, thanks for the update. I understand that both yours and Alexanders jobs come first. I will just have to wait a while longer for my PIR's to arrive. I'm sure the wait will be worth it!

elnino

Enlightened
Winny, would it be possible to upgrade my two 30V PIR's to 45V? Let me know. Thanks.

cnjl3

Enlightened
winny said:
I'm seriously thinking about trashing the PIR 1 project and simply build PIR 1.1's and replace broken 1.0's with 1.1's. It's probably more reliable and definitely cheaper. We'll see...

:)

Hello! Winny:)

I see that you have a plan in the works. It sounds great! Just wanted to let you know that i am still using your PIR with 18 IB1400's using various IRC bulbs i got from you and AWR. I probably would use more cells but i am limited by the 30v upper limit. I am using one modified modamag 9AA-3D holder and the other one on top holding 18 cells is my own home made adapter.
DSC02961.jpg

Both of the above adapters fit easily in my M*G 3D Tri-bored host:)
So a higher voltage limit would be nice. I seem to remember that you didnt like the dimensions of a M*G host (or was it just the plastic switch?). But now with FM's new MN holder & his extension tubes for the M6 it sounds like there is no limit to the options available. Both battery packs fit very nicely into the M6 host "WITHOUT" the hassel of getting it bored out:)
Anyway just wanted to say "hello" and let you know that i like your idea of an upgrade to PIR1.1.

CYL

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay...

I'm back in Gothenburg now after a long train trip. My apartment looks almost worse than I left it. I need tomorrow to clean it up and perhaps a trip to IKEA to get some boxes for storing stuff. I'll name them Flashlights 1, Flashlights 2, Lamps >50 W, Lamps <50 W, ballasts and so on :)

I also had to reinstall my computer. It said: "BEEEEP! Your beta test license has expired! Buy the retail product!" Sure thing, if you only had it for sale! Stupid software companies... :rant:

Alexander is working his last week so hopefully, I will see him this weekend and start working.

Right now I need some ice cream and a sofa. I got about 4 hours of sleep tonight and a teen-league occupied the train and simply wouldn't shut up so no sleep there either...

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes yes I know I know... How should I put this...?

We are two people working on this project and Alex just stopped working and needs a couple of days of. I will buy the components missing tomorrow, and hopefully get them then as well, and start soldering the most urgent ones.
They won't me enough to replace all (perhaps I could get two or three spares) and I need one myself so I can try it out too.

After that, we need a new PCB design, figure out which components likes to live together, come to a conclusion which features we actually need, and then start making them. We will start working this week but I can't give any guarantees when we will be ready.

elnino

Enlightened
Winny, I'm not sure if in your answer above you address the question of whether or not we might be able to upgrade from a 30V PIR to a 45V PIR. Is this something you're thinking about doing, or is a 45V PIR out of the question??? Thanks.

pertinax

Enlightened
Winny,

Make sure you contact me when you've got something new in the works. PM me here; I don't check this thread too often anymore.

But you can count on me to buy some more regulators.

Pertinax

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh! This is the closed thread that never dies. :crackup:

There is obviously a lot of interest in this regulated incan project. I have the AWR version from Litho123 (great guy) and I would prefer a longer runtime but I'm happy with it. Even so, I too am looking forward to another Winny version so I can get one.

:popcorn:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, the pressure... :sweat:

I'm currently in Germany building some regulated monsters with Spacemarine for the German CPF mailing-list meeting this weekend but I will try to do some useful work as well while I'm here. Alexander and I had a good discussion last week about what we wanted from this and how we wanted things to be done and I really hope the next run will go more smoothly and start soon. :)

pertinax,

I'll try to remember that.

CroMAGnet,

Lol! Good point!

elnino

Enlightened
Winny, how did your German CPF mailing-list meeting go? Were you able to do any other useful work? :whistle:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry about the delay. I had two reexams to do when I got home.

Germany was a blast. I would love to go there again...

Now, about the regulators. We did a round of troubleshooting with the ones sent to us but we decided to make new ones (PIR 1.1) instead and replace them.

As it looks now, the differences between PIR 1.0 and 1.1 is the following:

+better regulation
+bigger voltage range
+smaller
+more stable
+easier programming
-no one-button-programming (order them programmed or get a programmer)
-slightly less efficient