• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CLOSED: VIP Big BulkHead (BBH) Offer

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened
Re: VIP Big BulkHead (BBH) Offer

Wait almost a year for my BBH and the it doesn't turn more than a turn

ARGHHHH

OK, on closer inspection, looks like the screw is causing the problems--gotta get out the dremel

Chris_S

Newly Enlightened

ARGHHH, wait almost a YEAR for my BBH, get it today and it won't thread onto my VIP more than a turn...

GODDDDDAAAMMIT!

zackhugh

Enlightened

I don't post too often but I'll break radio silence to say that the BBH is absolutely incredible. It's hard to believe the throw achievable from 2 AA batteries and a LuxIII. Paul, I'm thoroughly impressed. Thanks for your efforts.

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Chris_S said:... it won't thread onto my VIP more than a turn...

[/ QUOTE ]Please PM me which "Chris S" you are. You'll be the fourth on my list of people that need this problem fixed.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Hey Otokoyama !!

Good news from France....BBH received this morning...Awesome perfect Head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It worth the wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
No thread problem, it fit perfectly on my VIP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Many thanks, and I hope all people will be as happy as me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I am waiting the night to see the throw provided by this nice handmade head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cheers and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Otokoyama,

So, is the "fix" to file down the screw, or is there something else in the works?

And if that is the fix, should I use a file, or is there a better tool to carefully "ground" the screw down?

Thanks.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
Will the VIP run on AA lithiums and/or AA NiMhs?
- Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that the ONLY recommended batteries are NiMH's. No other battery types are recommended.

Search for previous posts or ask Mr. Bulk.

Otokoyama

Enlightened

If the problem is the screw head, then filing that down is the most obvious solution. I won't know what the real problem is until I'm able to inspect a VIP/BBH pair that exhibits the symptoms.

I would use a small diamond file, jeweler's file, or sharpening stone (possibly attached to a Dremel). That 12" mill ******* hanging in the garage probably should be regarded as a "nuclear option".

Likebright

Enlightened

This is the configuration I use with NiMh batteries.
Thank you for seeing this through. I am really pleased with the throw and looks of this light and it has taken over from my SN-II as "critter spotter" around the property.
Mike

daz

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gifyou guys are making me jealous...Still waiting here in the UK for my BBH`s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Otokoyama said:
If the problem is the screw head, then filing that down is the most obvious solution. I won't know what the real problem is until I'm able to inspect a VIP/BBH pair that exhibits the symptoms.

I would use a small diamond file, jeweler's file, or sharpening stone (possibly attached to a Dremel). That 12" mill ******* hanging in the garage probably should be regarded as a "nuclear option".

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,

OK, I will wait until you get one in your hands to inspect it, to see what the exact problem is, before I go filing away!

And, I will probably have to buy a file, or a dremel tool or whatever, to fix this problem.

I do have a sharpening stone, but I imagine it would take hours to hand shave the screw.

Illuminated

Enlightened

Try *removing* the screw and doing a test fit *without* turning the light on. If the BBH screws on all the way, then it *must* be the screw head.

My ground screw head is very close, but provides no interference with the threads of the BBH.

Thanks for making these Paul, it performs exactly as you described. The minor imperfections in the exterior appearance don't concern me too much. This is the now farthest throwing Luxeon light I own to date!

I only hope others can appreciate all the effort and investment you had put into these.

Thanks again, Paul - an keep up he good work!

John

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Frenchyled said:Good news from France....BBH received this morning...Awesome perfect Head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]It's wonderful when our postal services cooperate! Thanks for letting me know it got there.

ddaadd

Enlightened

A comment on using Lithium AA's in the VIP...

Got my VIP a few months ago, without knowing any better (ignorant bliss), I have run nothing BUT Lithium AA's (3.59 vdc new)in mine. I would say I've been through 4 sets of them before I read the caution about using them. The beam is visibly brighter with them. Will not be trying the R123 for sure..... YMMV...

DESPARATLY SEEKING BBH !! (even a blem)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Plot thickens!

It is NOT the screw, as I removed the screw completely and the BBH would still not screw in more than a half turn.

AND, I tried BOTH my VIP Clickie and VIP Twistie and tried to screw it into the BBH and BOTH will not screw in more than 1/2 turn. (Yes, I have all the VIP accessories!)

It seems that the thread of the BBH is the source of the problem.

So, what to do?

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:So, what to do?

[/ QUOTE ]If you don't mind, please take some fabric and wipe the dry wax lubricant from the threads making sure that you don't poke your finger in deep enough to touch the reflective surface.

Take a very close look at the first thread crest and root just past the chamfer ... maybe using a magnifying class. (I know I'd need one.) Can you see any defect in the thread, such as a crest that sticks up too much (unlikely as I've threaded all of these onto my own VIP) or something that looks like a ridge on the crest has been folded over into the root (much more likely)?

If so, you should be able to pick this out with a toothpick or (very carefully) with an sharp awl, scribe, or pointed knife blade. You should be able to tear this off holding it with your fingernails, needle nose pliers, or tweezers.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

my bbh is awesumeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it is so weird that it can shine so far ty to britt for the cool gift and paul for makeing it

daz

Newly Enlightened

Good news from the UK...BBH`s just arrived and fit onto my VIP`s perfectly..Well worth the wait...Just waiting for nightime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...Many thanks Paul for all your time and effort in making these
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Hello Daz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Can you see from the south, when I use my VIP + BBH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Really awesome throw, I saw the spot on a buiding at a distance >= to 500 meters !!!