Cloud bounce beamshots!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
Nice shots ScottFHall. If the camera is on a tripod and the light is also still, it's preferable to shoot at a low ISO/ASA to reduce noise/graining and longer shutter speed.

ScottFHall

Newly Enlightened
Right, right, sorry about the grain in my photos. I'm afraid my digital camera has limited exposure control--the longest shutter speed available is 1/2 second and then my options are to set ASA from 100 to 1600. I tried 100 but it didn't provide enough exposure tim so I resorted to 1600 to maximize light absorption over the course of 1/2 second. Next time around, I will try some intermediate ASA numbers to reduce the grain some.

Thanks for the big-ups on these pics, though: it was really an amazing sight to see here in person.

ez78

Enlightened
Me and my 400W HID went for a walk tonight. Weather was so cold(-19C) that there were totally no clouds anywhere. Luckily I still found some smoke on the sky so I immediately unleashed some serious lumens on it. This is not really a cloud bounce but still something similar.:) The tower is 75 meters tall.

Smoke1.jpg

Last edited:

ScottFHall

Newly Enlightened
TorchBoy--ah, yes, yes. I stand corrected. I dug deeper into my digital and I did find a second set of menus hidden in there which allow me to choose some dark options: night shot, night portrait, candlelight, fireworks. Chances are one of those is going to be fine grained and allow for longer exposures--I will definitely try these settings out next time I take the Sunforce 25,000,000 cp spotlight out for cloud bounce shots.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's a better range of choices than I'd hoped for. Sounds like you're going to have some fun testing them.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night shot would be the most appropriate for this, but will not be fine grained. Make sure you use a tripod, as the exposure time will likely be a few seconds long.

ScottFHall

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, I'm already using a tripod in the current pics and the self-timer so that the camera settles down by the time the shooting starts.

Is it just me or does that big smokestack in Finland up above look like a filtered cigarette?

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, I'm already using a tripod in the current pics and the self-timer so that the camera settles down by the time the shooting starts.

Is it just me or does that big smokestack in Finland up above look like a filtered cigarette?
its even got a glowing red tip... ahahah

Parker VH

Enlightened
I thought I had heard previously that they would sell individual lights as a so called " sample". Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Arnulf

Enlightened
Do you have a high-resolution version of this image? That would make a good desktop wallpaper for my computer.

Is that a cloud or pollution...looks too low to be a cloud? really neat pic. :)

Q4559X_120meters_5.jpg

Last edited:

jcw122

Enlightened
I can hit some low clouds with my Stanley, I'm installing the 4300k bulb this weekend so I'll see if I can contribute to this :)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Is that a cloud or pollution...looks too low to be a cloud?

I think it's a cloud. Did you see the first picture from the same post? The first is clearly a cloud and I don't believe they have a big pollution problem in Finland. :)

It is a great picture though, isn't it!

Last edited:

ez78

Enlightened
It's just the low lying clouds on the coast of Helsinki. The pylon is almost standing in the sea actually. I don't think we have any pollution here, it's a small city with not much people and only couple of cars.:)

Arnulf

Enlightened
I think it's a cloud. Did you see the first picture from the same post? The first is clearly a cloud and I don't believe they have a big pollution problem in Finland. :)

It is a great picture though, isn't it!

Those are some low hanging clouds...looks like they are not much higher than the tower.....I seen the smoke stack pic and I assumed it was a heavy industrial area....yeah....very cool picture. :)

Arnulf

Enlightened
It's just the low lying clouds on the coast of Helsinki. The pylon is almost standing in the sea actually. I don't think we have any pollution here, it's a small city with not much people and only couple of cars.:)

Ok...just clouds that have rolled in off the ocean. :)

We have a population of Finlanders here in Upper Michigan....nice folks.....some have intermarried with our Indians....we call them Findians. :D

What is "LarryK14 type 600W halogen spotlight" ? :)

Last edited: