Coffee: drip vs percolate vs...

What are your favorite methods for brewing coffee?

• Total voters

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poll: What are your favorite coffee brewing methods?

I was seeking other experiences. But I didn't want to bias the answers. BTW, this is the wonderful percolator in question:
But yes, lets please keep roasting tips under low heat... :nana:

The problems with percolators in my opinion, ( and take this with a grain of salt please) is that while making the coffee it continuously recycles the water through the coffee grounds. This usually makes a strong / bitter cup of coffee. Plus is takes longer. I think that is why not many voted for it. At a minimum I would consider a drip machine. I have been quite fond of Bunn's machines.

Bill

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Coffee: drip vs percolate

Cold brewing. It takes preparation and a lot of coffee, but this is the one method that produces coffee that comes closest to tasting the same way it smells, with zero acidity.

... snip ...

This method makes cheaper coffee taste like fresh-roast, and quality coffee taste better than you've ever had it from a coffeemaker. It's also ideal for drink recipes that call for brewed coffee, as it bumps up the quality of the finished product notably.

Thanks for this post. You're the only one who mentioned cold brewing, unless I missed a post, and I think it's interesting. In the end, having your coffee taste exactly as it smells when freshly ground is the holy grail. As others have pointed out, if you don't brew at a high enough temperature, not all of the flavor components will be extracted -- but that holds true only for short-contact (hot water) methods. I often cold-brew high quality green tea overnight, and I think most of the flavor components are extracted. And for absolute certain, for iced tea, cold-brewed tastes better than hot brewed. At some point I'm going to try your method for coffee and see how it works out. My only reservation is re-heating the microwave -- the microwave seems to deaden too many flavor components, but I'll give it a shot. Have you tried slow warming in a pot?

StarHalo

Flashaholic

My only reservation is re-heating the microwave -- the microwave seems to deaden too many flavor components, but I'll give it a shot. Have you tried slow warming in a pot?

How you reheat the coffee is 100% open to creative interpretation, I only mentioned microwave since it comes closest to the speed of the usual brewing methods. But I'd wager slow warming with a thermometer on the stove probably would be the ideal way to do it..

Cold brewing seems to be sort of the "cult movie" of brewing methods; only a few people know about it, but once they find it, it becomes their one and only way of making coffee. It doesn't seem reasonable that grounds and water just left in a container would do anything, but once you taste the results, all the complex coffee machines sure seem like overkill..

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Percolators were all the rage before restaurants (about 20 years back) rolled out drip systems, then drip systems were all the rage. Since then percolators have been relegated to truck stops and church socials. So I'm going to bring up one last question before going off to the anti-gourmet room. For those of you who have actually tried coffee from a percolator:

Was it in the last ten years and was it from equipment with a capacity of less than 15 cups, using light roast coffee?​

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I messed with cold brewing a little a few years back, but wasn't wild about the results. Our particular brewer produced a heavily-concentrated solution that was mixed with water (50/50 or 33/67 - can't remember) before drinking. It was generally OK if we added boiling water, but the result were often not warm enough for us. Microwaving to warm it up did not produce good results. And using our cold brewer only made sense if we brewed large batches (~30-40 cups at once, as I recall). But, there was a noticeable decline in taste after the first couple days.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I experimented with cold brewing back in the '70's and ended up not being overly impressed, particularly when using freshly roasted coffee. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it was way too inconvenient and took way too much time for this impatient soul. ;) As gswitter mentioned above, the quality of the resultant "brew" degrades quickly over a shart amount of time. I would consider this method for iced coffee perhaps, but I find properly brewed using the Aeropress to produce a product more true to the aroma of freshly ground coffee.

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened
LOL! Oh you just happened to have known about something so perfect like this, didn't you! There goes $150 as I just ordered it. Although I love my Technivorm, I also want the option of having the perfect brewing temp options like this. Seriously, thanks!
The Breville has landed. Now we have to start comparing notes about the Breville. Just getting ready to brew my first cuppa jo.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cold brewing seems to be sort of the "cult movie" of brewing methods; only a few people know about it, but once they find it, it becomes their one and only way of making coffee. It doesn't seem reasonable that grounds and water just left in a container would do anything, but once you taste the results, all the complex coffee machines sure seem like overkill..

I use a toddy with 1 pound of coffee to make cold brewed coffee for use in our iced coffees. It's really good stuff!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up an Aeropress today. I tried a 2-scoop cup for my wife and a 3-scoop cup for me. It wasn't bad at all - I had even used some beans I ground for the French Press this morning. I am eager to try a fine grind.

You forgot to include an "other" category since my favorite brewing method is not listed in your poll.

My preferred method is to use the Aeropress, one cup at a time.

3 scoops of beans, ground to fine drip, water 10 seconds off boil. Add water to grounds and stir for 10 seconds, then press water and grounds mixture into cup through lab grade filter paper. Fill remaining mug space with hot water to fill mug.

kwkarth

Enlightened
I just picked up an Aeropress today. I tried a 2-scoop cup for my wife and a 3-scoop cup for me. It wasn't bad at all - I had even used some beans I ground for the French Press this morning. I am eager to try a fine grind.
Congrats!!

Keep in mind that the scoop that comes with the Aeropress is bigger than a standard 30ml scoop. As a matter of fact, I just measured it and it measures 45ml. Adjust accordingly.
Cheers!

Last edited:

kwkarth

Enlightened
I took a couple of pictures of the Behmor and the Breville kettle today.

Behmore all fired up and the door open.
3747852262_4f325a2291.jpg

Door closed, all fired up.
3747048705_d8ea3889c4.jpg

Here you can see a little of the exhaust plumbing.
3747864152_a0ec5fe2d1.jpg

Here's the Breville
3747840790_8b47301417.jpg

3747840464_b62e347e2f.jpg

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats!!

Keep in mind that the scoop that comes with the Aeropress is bigger than a standard 30ml scoop. As a matter of fact, I just measured it and it measures 45ml. Adjust accordingly.
Cheers!

I noticed the huge scoop. I tried it again at supper with a new grind (between an espresso and a drip). I noticed the flavor changed a bit, but it was still smooth. I like the immediate and simple clean-up of the Aeropress.

The store where I purchased the Aeropress had the new Breville kettle as well for around $95 Cdn ($105 with an additional 10% discount). I was tempted, but we had purchased last year's model just a few months ago.

I have been tempted to start roasting my own beans but I have not made the hurdle yet. Too many irons in the fire - perhaps when I retire.

BTW, that's one slick looking roaster you have there. Definitely more than one step up from a popcorn popper!

kwkarth

Enlightened
Thanks Chimo,
I'm sure you will enjoy the Aeropress for years to come. There is lots of opportunity to experiment with different grinds, different water temperatures, different amounts of stirring, and then there's finding just the right variety of coffee... Have fun!

The Behmore roaster is well built and should last a long time. I've had it for a year now and it still looks and operates like it was brand new. The Fresh Roast 8 is a great roaster to start out with. It's inexpensive, and very quiet for a hot air roaster, so you can hear as well as see the coffee roasting...Makes is easy to see, hear, and smell where the beans are in the roast cycle.

My attempts at roasting in the 70's were fry pan and then cookie sheet in the oven, neither method was very successful. In the 90's I started using an old hot air popcorm popper I had and that worked fabulously well, but it was messy, smoky and noisy. One thing led to another, and then came the Behmor. :grin2:

That's a great price you found on the Breville. Here it goes for 150us and that's it. It's ok, I like it and all, and it will be fun to "play" with, but it's past the point of diminishing returns. We'll see how well it holds up. Looks to be built like a tank, so it should do well over the long haul.

Cheers!

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite brewing method is a vac pot. You're pretty much guaranteed to get the perfect brewing temperature every time, and it's an amazing thing to watch, and the results are also amazing. Plus, you know, glass is awesome. No plastic touching the coffee. It makes a great cup. I much prefer the cloth filters to using a glass rod. If I wanted a thicker cup like the glass rod produces, I'd just use my french press instead.

The problem, of course, is inconvenience. You really need to pre-heat the water before you put it in the vac pot, otherwise it takes too long. So that's a bit annoying. Then, clean up afterwards is nowhere near as convenient as just throwing a paper filter full of spent grinds away! You need a strainer to pour the water and grinds through, to catch the grinds and throw them away in the trash, or compost or wherever. And then you still end up with a lot of grinds in the sink. And you need to handle the cloth filter with some care, especially if you use it a lot. Over at www.coffeegeek.com you can find some good tips, but basically, you rinse it out and put it in a jar of cold water in the fridge, and then periodically clean it with some sort of active oxygen cleaner. I have it, but I can't remember the name. Hmmm.

Anyway, the point is that for every day brewing, a vac pot is hard core, and just too much work.

So, 99 percent of the time, I use my Technivorm. I have the Clement Design version with the glass carafe. I've never liked the insulated carafe, myself. I figure that if I don't drink it within minutes after the end of brewing, what does it matter anyway?

I roast my own green beans from sweetmarias, using a hot air pop corn popper. I've used other methods, seen other roasters, including an iRoast, and a Fresh Roast. I've had a first-hand tour of gimme coffee's roaster here in Ithaca NY. John Gant is their roast master. They have a Sievets fluid bed roaster that takes 37 lbs of green in, if I remember correctly. And I've had some seriously good coffee, freshly roasted, by people who know what they're doing. And, while it's obviously better to have better equipment, and more control, in my experience, the main thing is just to roast it fresh in your own home. My hot air pop corn popper does a pretty good job. If it didn't, I would have bought a better roaster by now! When it dies, and I have an excuse to give my wife (but, honey, my old roaster died. I really need an Ambex mini-Roaster!) then I'll buy a "real" roaster, but until then, it's doing a fantastic job. I have a second hot air popcorn popper--a West Bend "The Poppery"--that I modded so that I can switch the heat on and off but still have the fan, and I use it purely to cool the beans once they reach the proper degree of roast. I also have a thermometer installed in my roaster, but I mostly go by the color, sound, and smoke smell, in any case.

After roasting and resting, the coffee gets ground in a Zassenhaus knee mill, which does the job, but isn't all that great. I'd really love to have a Mazer burr mill, and if I had $600 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd order one tomorrow, without any hesitation, but it does a good enough job for my paper filters in my Technivorm. It really falls down a bit for french press or vac pot brewing, though. The grind just isn't even enough. Not compared to a Mazer.

Anyway, the main thing to understand about coffee, which isn't really well known, is that it is a lot more like bread, than it is like tea. Tea leaves can sit around for a year and still be quite good, still make a great cup. But, you'd never think that two week old bread would be as good as bread fresh out of the oven, right? Same goes for coffee. A week after roasting, and you've really lost a lot of quality. It's still good, it's just nowhere near as good as it was a day or two after roasting. And of course, you should grind right before brewing. Pre-ground, pre-roasted coffee is the worst case scenario, but is, sadly, the rule.

Oh, and if you use milk or cream, put it in the cup first, then add the coffee. It makes a much better cup of coffee, believe it or not!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
My attempts at roasting in the 70's were fry pan and then cookie sheet in the oven, neither method was very successful.

. . .

LOL! Yup. You have to be like a demonic stir-er to avoid scortching the beans in a fry pan! And the best thing I can say about a cookie sheet roast is that it makes your house smell nice.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I took a couple of pictures of the Behmor and the Breville kettle today.

Behmore all fired up and the door open.

Great photos!!! I do my roasting in a room that has an effective vent fan, or outside if above 60°F I enjoy the aroma of coffee roasting, so what doesn't get vented is fine.

Can't wait to get that kettle. Amazing that you can pick it up off that platform...they really went full out on designing that baby. First thing I'm gonna do is check the temps with my Fluke 189 probe just to see how close it really is.

I have verified several times that the water coming out of the Technivorm is between 199 - 204°F, but as it sits puddled in the plastic filter holder, it starts at 189°F and goes up to 197°F with lid on as plastic cone heats up. The hotplate keeps the caraffe at 170°F

tygger

Enlightened
Anyone else here use the porecelian Melitta? Thanks to this thread I've been keeping a sharp eye on water temp. which does make a huge difference. I do have a question though. Whats the optimal flow rate of a drip filter? In other words, how long should the coffee come in contact with the water?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
tygger,

IIRC, no longer than 6 minutes, and I think 4 minutes or somewhat less is optimal.

Check out www.sweetmarias.com website. They have tip sheets for using all of the various brewing methods, including this one we're talking about. I think you also want to pre-wet the paper filter.

mikewarne

Newly Enlightened
If you want to make yourself some good coffee you should take necessary tips from an expert. You can also take help from Chmex Coffee Makers.You will get many methods of preparing delicious coffee.

kwkarth

Enlightened
tygger,

Over the years, I've found the advice from Tom @ Sweetmarias to be pretty much the best advice I've seen in the coffee industry. So, yes devour that website! Great information!!

The optimal time that coffee grounds are exposed to the water depends upon the fineness and consistency of your grind, the temperature of your water, the brewing method you employ, the variety of the coffee bean you use, AND your taste.

When you taste coffee that is over extracted, it is VERY obvious.

I would suggest that you experiment with different times and keep notes to find the optimal time for your set up.

The goal is to extract the maximum flavor from the coffee grounds without OVER extracting to the point where you get the undesirable flavors and aromas from the coffee.

Personally, I tend to use more coffee and less time so as to avoid any essence of the over extracted flavor components. Your taste may vary.

I love ceramic cones, but remember that you should pre heat them before making your coffee otherwise your initial pour when you start your brew cycle will be too cold as the ceramic cone heats up. With a plastic cone it's easy to ream out the hole to a larger diameter to increase the flow rate, with a ceramic cone you can't do that, so the only way to control the flow is by the type of filter paper you use and the fineness & consistency of your grind. In my experience, I like the Melita micro perforated brown filter cone paper for the best flow rate and least taste imparted to the coffee.

Cheers!

Last edited: