Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't read all 26 pages of this thread, so I don't know if this lube has been mentioned but it's seriously good gear.

Inox MX6 Premium Machinery Grease - Food Grade with PTFE. I also use Inox MX3 for just about everything else, including contact points.

My TK40 was playing up a while ago. It wouldn't always switch between modes and sometimes wouldn't turn on/off immediately. One tiny squirt of MX3 in the switch and not a problem since. Had a similar issue with my HL21, so same medicine for same result.

ddac

Newly Enlightened
I am ashamed to say that I've never lubed any of my flashlights. I currently have:
- 3 Surefires (2 E series & a P6)
- a key chain Fenix and
- a DX MTE P7 (I use this for cycling as a strobe)

I have had these lights for over 3 years (just brought the Fenix last week after discovering CPF). But never lubed any of them.

Question: can I use my cycling lube for flashlights? I don't really want to buy a "flashlight" specific lube. See below for the two lubes that I use regularly on my bikes. I also have a lube of dark, heavy, black automotive grease that i can use as well (not pictured).

Of these three items, which would work best for flashlights?

lube.jpg

Last edited:

N162E

Enlightened
I am ashamed to say that I've never lubed any of my flashlights. I currently have:
- a key chain Fenix and

I have had these lights for over 3 years (just brought the Fenix last week after discovering CPF). But never lubed any of them.

Question: can I use my cycling lube for flashlights? I don't really want to buy a "flashlight" specific lube. See below for the two lubes that I use regularly on my bikes. I also have a lube of dark, heavy, black automotive grease that i can use as well (not pictured).

The short answer, none of the above. Your bike shop probably carries "Finish Line" products, look for "Extreme Fluoro" which is a repackaged version of I Forgot but, its as good as it gets.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
ddac said:
- a key chain Fenix and

You can use pretty much what ever spins your crank. Occasionally you might stumble upon an Oring that doesn't like your chosen lube. You usually won't find that out until the Oring rebels. Mostly I use a light lithium grease. That chain lube in your pic I suspect would be to light. Another grease that works good is the stuff anglers use for their fishing reels. It comes in a handy little tube. An obvious combo to avoid is silicone grease on silicone seals. Experiment with it. You will make up your own mind on what you like.

hotwiremod

Newly Enlightened
It's hard to say without knowing the contents. But be wary of dark lithium grease which could it indicate it contains molybdenum compounds which can be poisonous. Try to get hold of the MSDS to be sure.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I Have Been Using Ballistol On My Lights For About A Month Now, And Definitely Say That It Has Smoothed Up the Twisty Action On My Lights. I Have Been Using Nyogel Exclusively for The Past 3 Years (Hard to Believe I Still Have Over Half A Tube Left). I Can Definitely Feel A Difference On My Lights. Havent Tried It on Any Titanium Lights Yet. But Soon...

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
- a key chain Fenix and

lube.jpg

Triflow and Prolink are both excellent oils which I use extensively. Triflow on everything from door hinges to firearms and bicycles, Prolink is a great self-cleaning bike chain oil which can be used similarly (though I've never tested it on firearms). I would suspect both are a bit harsh for most o-rings, especially the butyl type. In either case I'd be wary of migration as they are both quite thin penetrating oils- I'd go for something thicker myself. Switched from Triflow grease to Finish Line fluoro grease to most recently Mobile 1 synthetic axle grease which is significantly cheaper and works great. No long term use of Mobile1 yet but I've heard good things about the wear, stability and o-ring compatibilty.

visigoth

Newly Enlightened
Finding good grease in Mexico

Odd question, perhaps, but I noticed that someone here was finding it difficult to find decent grease in Mexico. Has anyone succeeded? I'm in Oaxaca -- I've seen Finish Line products here, but not Extreme Fluoro. Are any of their other greases/oils recommended? Ceramic, Premium, whatever?

Kif

Enlightened
Re: Finding good grease in Mexico

Oveready.com sell Nye Noygel 760G and they ship international
I guess you can get some from them

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened
Anyone had experance with the regular finish line bicycle grease? Says it's a Teflon compound.
It depends on whether it is petroleum based. If it is then it would likely dissolve your o-rings. A note about Polytetrafluoroethylene aka Teflon. DONT use any Teflon containing lubricant on bare aluminum threads! It will cause fretting as the tiny particles will dig into the bare metal and act as an abrasive. On anodised threads or Ti threads it should just work fine. Personally, i use Nyogel 760G and Krytox on orings.

texas cop

Enlightened
For my firearms for years I've been using Pennzoil 100% Marine synthetic white grease. Its a lithium grease and handles temps from -40F to 400F. Now its been in use on my flashlights for about a year. What I like about it is its a thick grease that fills o-rings, stays where you put it and the smallest dab from a Q-tip is all that is needed. When things heat up it still stays put instead of thinning and flowing like oils do.

ToNIX

Enlightened
I Have Been Using Ballistol On My Lights For About A Month Now, And Definitely Say That It Has Smoothed Up the Twisty Action On My Lights. I Have Been Using Nyogel Exclusively for The Past 3 Years (Hard to Believe I Still Have Over Half A Tube Left). I Can Definitely Feel A Difference On My Lights. Havent Tried It on Any Titanium Lights Yet. But Soon...

Wow, started reading on Ballistol, seems like an awesome lubricant/solvent/everything.

Glock27

Enlightened
I have been using Faucet grease. You find it in the plumbing section of any hardware store. It is non toxic, handles hot water temp (140F+) without running, does not hurt O-rings and is cheap.
I much prefer grease as opposed to oil. Grease helps seal much better than oil.

G27

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: does NE1 have and use both Superlube Grease vs. Superlube Oil? i mean which one serves our purpose better. Is Superlube really good for easy twisting on a Quark Tactical (bare aluminum threads)?

llmercll

Newly Enlightened
Silicone Grease for o-rings only?

Hey everyone!

I used silicone grease to lubricate the threads and o-rings on my solarforce lights and noticed that after a few months the threads became really dirty, almost like a black/brown sludge.

I'm just wondering if this is normal (perhaps the grease doing it's job and keeping dirt and water out?) and whether or not you more experienced guys grease the threads and o-rings or only the o-rings.

thanks!

EDIT** just found the grease and lube thread. A mod could consolidate this as a post in there if they wish =) thanks!

Thread Merged - Norm

Last edited by a moderator: