Cool White vs Neutral white

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for the replies! :)
I have edited my post and placed in a photo with EagleTac M2XC4 neutral white as light source as well.

Regards, Patric

lebox97

Enlightened
Re: CRI difference?

very nice pics!
:thumbsup:
and, your comment below intrigues me...

what camera settings did you use?
perhaps the settings needs to be tweaked further to get a closer representation in pic to what your eye sees? (this is same battle I am fighting to create the pics for the comparision link in my sig below - I think I have it close now with a custom setting, but it could certainly always be improved upon)
:thinking:
cheers

Edit: at request I also took a picture with EagleTac M2XC4 neutral white as light source. This actually made me surprised. The difference of the photo is much less than what I actually experience with my eyes.
According to the photo it's closer to the cool white LED, but according to my LIVE view it's closer to the incan... :sssh:
Anyway; incandescent light is superior when it comes to true colour rendition!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks lebox97,

If you with setting mean white balance, the setting was on AUTO when I took these pictures. It's also another setting which calls "colour level(or position, don't know what is the best word)" (directly translated from swedish) and this is on NORMAL.

Regards, Paric

gunga

Flashaholic
Just a note. Auto white balance tends to try and correct things to daylight standard. If you want the picture to be a better match to what you see, try setting to daylight white balance. THis will show you the differences in colour for each beam.

lebox97

Enlightened
+1
when camera is set for auto - it makes adjustments for light, focus, ISO everything based on the light output - so for our purposes the results will be skewed...

I have not tried daylight balance though - I'll give it a "shot"
:whistle:

QUOTE=gunga;3094230]Just a note. Auto white balance tends to try and correct things to daylight standard. If you want the picture to be a better match to what you see, try setting to daylight white balance. THis will show you the differences in colour for each beam.[/QUOTE]

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CRI difference?

WOW... the difference is astonishing to say the least....:eek:
Last week I received my two purple Maglites, a 2D and a 3D. These are not really the same colour, because Maglite has at least two different shades of purple, and I got one of each. When looking at them under cool LED-light they appear as very identical. But under incandescent light like the home light bulbs and MagCharger the difference is significant. Look at these two photos and you will see it clearly.
Also I later compared with my EagleTac M2XC4 neutral white, and the difference was significant compared to P7 LED, but not that significant as with MagCharger.
I understand this remarkable difference is an example of the difference of CRI?

Edit: at request I also took a picture with EagleTac M2XC4 neutral white as light source. This actually made me surprised. The difference of the photo is much less than what I actually experience with my eyes.
According to the photo it's closer to the cool white LED, but according to my LIVE view it's closer to the incan... :sssh:
Anyway; incandescent light is superior when it comes to true colour rendition!

Upper picture: Maglite 3D/Malkoff P7
Middle picture:
EagleTac M2XC4 neutral white
Lower picture: Maglite MagCharger

Regards, Patric

lebox97

Enlightened
ok, here is a couple of sets with white balance set to "daylight" all other "auto" settings off.
3946669182_d232d693be.jpg
3946669220_45dfefb85f.jpg
3945886571_0729d9f607.jpg
3945886613_082539fc19.jpg
3945886705_9a4d623586.jpg

3945885931_6edba5960b.jpg
3946668518_b91ee33b21.jpg
3945885963_4049894f77.jpg
3945885983_7d320de370.jpg
3945886005_63b7a5498b.jpg

3946668686_a3fd5c0e2b.jpg
3945886085_5e47c39696.jpg
3946668794_f49686e571.jpg
3945886181_d4091942f0.jpg
3945886213_9a3ee612c8.jpg

3946668924_d4ae4503cb.jpg
3945886327_04e3aec8e2.jpg
3945886389_ed61889ae5.jpg
3946669080_59d5098e6f.jpg
3945886471_c3bdae6422.jpg

H60 / H60W / SF M6 / ET M2C4 CW / ET M2SC4 NW (last 3 using diffuser lens/filter)

:devil:

Last edited:

xenonk

Enlightened
Looks like a substantial improvement with the warm/neutral emitters.
That M2C4 CW, though... :green:

lebox97

Enlightened
yah, that one is another "doesn't look like that in person" pics

not sure what is going on, why that one came out so different, and or wonder if the diffuser skews thing a bit as the M6 HO doesn't look that yellow either (new cells) compared to the others - I'll recheck settings...
try again later...

in search of ... the holy grail... :rolleyes:

Looks like a substantial improvement with the warm/neutral emitters.
That M2C4 CW, though... :green:

lebox97

Enlightened
ok, redo on the previous pics - the good the bad the ugly
(guess my camera doesn't like Cool to much - it's not quite that pronounced a blue/green color in person) :ironic:

added some outdoor comparisons

am really liking the M2SC4 NW though!

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Very interesting. The H60 (first column) looks by far the most natural to me, and the three warm ones seem to have a very orangey colour cast. Looks like I'll be sticking to cool tints.

Are the walls in that corridor really painted a light orange ?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Very interesting. The H60 (first column) looks by far the most natural to me, and the three warm ones seem to have a very orangey colour cast.
Another vote for the H60. I like the way the warm/neutral tints bring out the reds in the magazine, but I'm not thrilled about their off-white color balance. If you could combine their red rendition with the color balance of the H60, IMO that would be perfect.

lebox97

Enlightened
yikes! :faint:

FWIW, the wiki page has a ton of information on it as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index

um, no that's the problem... between my camera and the color output from the different LED (plus of course your and my monitor color settings, and when it was last calibrated - mine has never been calibrated) - what you see is what I got (no image manipulation).
my wall paint color (ivory white) is closer to what is seen in column 5 (on my monitor).
:party:

Very interesting. The H60 (first column) looks by far the most natural to me, and the three warm ones seem to have a very orangey colour cast. Looks like I'll be sticking to cool tints.

Are the walls in that corridor really painted a light orange ?

Last edited:

hoongern

Enlightened
Of late, I have been wondering why I don't seem to see many lights between 5000-6000k since that's where daylight is, and to me since I'm seeing most things in daylight, I'd like to have my flashlights be daylight-like tinted as well. Tints which come to mind would be WJ... or if you like warmer/cooler, either 3A or WD.

However, I haven't seen to have seen these tints in many flashlights.. and rather only further away from daylight, i.e. WC and 5A (at least it seems to me)

I wouldn't mind trying out a WJ/3A but I can't seem to find any??

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of late, I have been wondering why I don't seem to see many lights between 5000-6000k since that's where daylight is, and to me since I'm seeing most things in daylight, I'd like to have my flashlights be daylight-like tinted as well. Tints which come to mind would be WJ... or if you like warmer/cooler, either 3A or WD.

However, I haven't seen to have seen these tints in many flashlights.. and rather only further away from daylight, i.e. WC and 5A (at least it seems to me)

I wouldn't mind trying out a WJ/3A but I can't seem to find any??
Tint, Kelvin degrees and color spectrum are very distinct things. Daylight is full 100 CRI, unlike LEDs...

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
I'm not quite sure how this relates to falshlights, but I thought was interesting, and was something I should know when thinking about color:

http://www.physorg.com/news173626469.html

Study shows that color plays musical chairs in the brain (w/ Video)

October 1st, 2009
Color is normally thought of as a fundamental attribute of an object: a red Corvette, a blue lake, a pink flamingo.
Yet despite this popular notion, new research suggests that our perception of color is malleable, and relies heavily on
biological processes of the eye and brain.

The brain's neural mechanisms keep straight which color belongs to what object, so one doesn't mistakenly see a blue flamingo
in a pink lake.
But what happens when a color loses the object to which it is linked? Research at the University of Chicago has demonstrated,
for the first time, that instead of disappearing along with the lost object, the color latches onto a region of some other object in
view - a finding that reveals a new basic property of sight.
[...]

quasar54

Newly Enlightened
Great information in this thread... I've been so convinced that my next AA light purchase will be a Neutral White instead of the Q5.

On that point - where can I learn more about the different LED models, their tint, and the different bins? I suppose a table format would be best!

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere but my google-fu has failed me this time.

Latest posts