CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

Monocrom

Flashaholic
how much do they charge for shipping?

A ridiculously obscene amount if you only want that one item.

If there's a bunch of stuff you want to buy, then the shipping rates are not too bad at all.

I have the AAA version of their Delrin battery carrier. Those things are worth picking up if you can stomach the shipping rates. Once again, placing a bulk order for several items makes the hit on shipping less painful.

MattSPL

Enlightened
It depends what way you look at it, having a spare cr123 safe in a water proof capsule might come in handy someday :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Dang. Thanks guys. So is Delrin a really or relatively expensive material then? $8-9 isn't worth it to me :(

By itself, no; not an expensive material. But good luck taking some of it and transforming it in a useful, water-tight, container with threads. You're paying less for the raw material, and far more for what it was transformed into. Based on that $9 for one is reasonable.

zenbeam

Enlightened
And not to mention that this capsule will preserve a CR123 in a fresher state far longer than storing one underneath a pyramid.

(okay... the corn in me has to come out sometimes :grin2:)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple CR123 containers and an AAA container.

Great little items, thick and solid with smooth threads.

Countycomm has a bunch of cool little items, it should be easy to find a few other things to add to your cart so shipping doesn't seem so bad.

AAA version:
aaadelrinholder1.jpg

aaadelrinholder2.jpg

kbark

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying one of their Cr123 holders on my key chain for about 6 months now. They are very nice holders and I will probably pick up an AA and AAA version soon. Just add some more stuff to your order to make the shipping worthwhile. The wire key chains are really nice too.

zenbeam

Enlightened
Got my CR123 carrier today! Very nice. Extremely well machined. Love the delrin material. Some kind of thermoplastic stuff. It was referred to as "self lubricating" - no wonder the darn thing keeps slipping out of my hand... lol. But I really like it! Like others have said, the lid really cinches down nice and snug. I put a small lanyard on mine to give me something to hold on to when I handle it - in case it slips away again. It is now housing a nice new Panasonic CR123A.

Overall, maybe not quite totally worth the near $20 shipped.... but to me.... it is damn close and I'm not disappointed. :twothumbs

Glock 22

Enlightened
I'm glad I posted this thread. It seems like it's got a lot of positive reviews, and everyone seems to like them, except the shipping cost which stinks.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
By itself, no; not an expensive material. But good luck taking some of it and transforming it in a useful, water-tight, container with threads.

+1

Plastic items are cheap for the very simple reason that they are molded, in mass. Spend $5000K+ on a mold, then crank out 100K-100M parts for pennies a piece. This molding process offer a number of advantages, but strength is not among them.

In the flashlight world, Delrin (Polyoxymethylene) is formed into solid rods at the factory. Then, rather than being injected molded, its cut on CNC machines, just like aluminum and other metals. The result is some of the strongest and most precisely shaped parts possible. But the material is only slightly cheaper and cuts slightly faster than aluminum. So the result isn't much cheaper.

These capsules would be $20+ were they not extras from some massive run.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
The countycomm Delrin 'tube-a-ton' is interesting, also. I can't quite tell from the description and short video whether it will only take an AA cell in the one end, or whether the other end will take one as well (it's separated/braced in the middle).

MattSPL

Enlightened
The countycomm Delrin 'tube-a-ton' is interesting, also. I can't quite tell from the description and short video whether it will only take an AA cell in the one end, or whether the other end will take one as well (it's separated/braced in the middle).

Looks good. This was under the description on the website 'Tube-A-Ton fits a AA on each side !'

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
For people who might be on the cheap like me, I just picked up two Coghlan orange waterproof match cases for $2.29 ea. at Bass Pro shops. Rubber O-ring, fits two CR123s with only a slight bit of shake and they fit a Pannie NCR186500A perfectly. They're online for $1.50-$1.75 if you look. I've seen them for even less.

Chris

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good. This was under the description on the website 'Tube-A-Ton fits a AA on each side !'

MattSPL,
Um, thank you for pointing that out. I was 'under the impression' that it would take 2xAA, but 'couldn't remember why'. I was missing the forest for the shrubs.

MattSPL

Enlightened
MattSPL,
Um, thank you for pointing that out. I was 'under the impression' that it would take 2xAA, but 'couldn't remember why'. I was missing the forest for the shrubs.

No worries :) I couldn't make out if it was one or two until i read that text underneath.

MattSPL

Enlightened
For people who might be on the cheap like me, I just picked up two Coghlan orange waterproof match cases for $2.29 ea. at Bass Pro shops. Rubber O-ring, fits two CR123s with only a slight bit of shake and they fit a Pannie NCR186500A perfectly. They're online for $1.50-$1.75 if you look. I've seen them for even less.

Chris

That's a good find, and handy for the 18650.

Glock 22

Enlightened
To eliminate the shake on the 2 CR123's you can put a piece bubble wrap or a piece of packaging foam in the bottom of the carrier and that will solve that problem. I wish there was more options out there to choose from for one CR123a battery.

Chris

MattSPL

Enlightened
I'm glad I posted this thread. It seems like it's got a lot of positive reviews, and everyone seems to like them, except the shipping cost which stinks.

I haven't used mine yet. Waiting on a light to arrive.

How tight do you tighten the lid? I don't want to over tighten, but i don't want it too loose so it comes undone in the pocket.

Cheers
Matt

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used mine yet. Waiting on a light to arrive.

How tight do you tighten the lid? I don't want to over tighten, but i don't want it too loose so it comes undone in the pocket.

Cheers
Matt
If it's like the Delrin container I got from CC it can't be overtightened accidentally.