CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish there was more options out there to choose from for one CR123a battery.

Glock22, have you tried those cheap aluminum pill fobs that they carry in a lot of drugstores? They come with an O-ring. You will need a little padding to eliminate rattle, and to make sure that the battery won't complete a circuit inside. Since they are cheap, there are probably lots of variances in internal size. That's what I carry on my keychain. The Delrin carrier is better, but I came across this one first.

Glock 22

Enlightened
I've not tried them, but they do sound interesting.

Glock22, have you tried those cheap aluminum pill fobs that they carry in a lot of drugstores? They come with an O-ring. You will need a little padding to eliminate rattle, and to make sure that the battery won't complete a circuit inside. Since they are cheap, there are probably lots of variances in internal size. That's what I carry on my keychain. The Delrin carrier is better, but I came across this one first.

I haven't used mine yet. Waiting on a light to arrive.

How tight do you tighten the lid? I don't want to over tighten, but i don't want it too loose so it comes undone in the pocket.

Cheers
Matt

As tight as I can get it you can't overtighten it.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
For people who might be on the cheap like me, I just picked up two Coghlan orange waterproof match cases for $2.29 ea. at Bass Pro shops. Rubber O-ring, fits two CR123s with only a slight bit of shake and they fit a Pannie NCR186500A perfectly. They're online for $1.50-$1.75 if you look. I've seen them for even less.

Chris

I live in the UK but on my last trip to the USA I spotted a small tube of Advil pain relief in Wallmart for a dollar or two in those cheap baskets (search Advil on Wallmart.com and it's the 10 count tube). I took the blue label off and you have a holder which perfectly fits 1xCR123 battery with no rattle. Even has a security lid to keep the kids out!
I'm going to pick some more up this year hopefully.
look at it this way, pain killers with a free battery holder! I might need the pills once my wife beats me when she sees McGizmo on this months bank statement!!!!

OCD

Enlightened

I have one of those for my spare CR123 and one that fits my AAA spare. The CR123 size I find everywhere. It took some searching to find the AAA one. I finally found them at CVS and bought the 3 they had. I ended up giving 2 to my dad...1 for his spare AAA and one for him to actually put pills in!

Illum

Flashaholic
I have one of those for my spare CR123 and one that fits my AAA spare. The CR123 size I find everywhere. It took some searching to find the AAA one. I finally found them at CVS and bought the 3 they had. I ended up giving 2 to my dad...1 for his spare AAA and one for him to actually put pills in!

the 1xCR123A holders actually hold quite a few pills, I carry with me [depending on where I'm going] Lactaid, Benedryl, Tums, Asprin, etc... a small stamp collector's zip-loc works well as a liner. Theres no limit to what you can carry as long as you know which is which ;)

I used to carry the soda bottle preforms as the carrier of choice for up to 4xcr123As because it fits nicely in a backpack or on hand, much better than the Surefires SCs. As I moved gradually away from CR123As now I have about 5-6 preforms sitting unused, or being used for things not flashlight related:
otglyv.jpg

Too bad countycomm doesn't stock a 2xcr123A version. Side from carrying spares for my single AAAs, it would be nice if I can carry an extra 17670. I'm with ChrisGarrett though, until they have something of the sort a orange match case werks well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For people who might be on the cheap like me, I just picked up two Coghlan orange waterproof match cases for $2.29 ea. at Bass Pro shops. Rubber O-ring, fits two CR123s with only a slight bit of shake and they fit a Pannie NCR186500A perfectly. They're online for $1.50-$1.75 if you look. I've seen them for even less.

Chris

Wal-Mart sells those for $1.oo each. Lack of a lanyard hole for keychain carry is the only downside.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wal-Mart sells those for $1.oo each. Lack of a lanyard hole for keychain carry is the only downside.

I'm going to hit up WalMart tomorrow, as they have some camping stuff and Bass Pro can be a bit spendy.

No lanyard hole, but honestly, they're a bit big for keychain carry, if you ask me. I already have a spring loaded belt loop catch, a 4x357 button light, an alarm fob, keys and a small Swiss Army knife on my ring, so even that little delrin dohickey is going to load me up more than I want.

The Coghlan is good and cheap for 'bug out bag' storage where water might be a concern. For half the cost of the delrin, you get 10 of them, holding 10 18650/14500/AA types, or 20 CR123/16340s in water tight fashion.

Plus, there's a flint glued to the bottom of each container, to make sparks with! You can always replace their flat and hardish O-ring, with a better one.

Not trying to jerk with the delrin single cell container, just passing on what I found out today. I also bought a 3 pack of some smaller Plano waterproof wallet sized boxes, one holding 6 AA/14500s, one holding 4 CR123/16340s and one good for pills, but all three of them leaked a little bit, so while they're not a total waste of $7, they're not secure against water, where the Coglans are.

Chris

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Delrin battery carriers are definitely a specialized item. I agree that the CR123 version is likely too thick for keychain carry. However, the AAA version is excellent for that job. The AA version might be too thick for some. However, it does make a nice key-fob; and it's a functional one.

As for the orange match-cases, the flint on the bottom has never worked right for me. Too short in length. I keep kitchen matches in the few that I have. Bit of striker material cut down and glued to the inside of the match-case cap. Works great! Bit of clear nail-polish on the matches, let dry, and you've got homemade water-proof matches.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying these carriers for a while and they are the most durable battery containers that I've come across. Short of a gunshot, I can't think of a way to destroy one.

I've tried various solutions; Keep2Go tubes, those transparent plastic battery cases, aluminium pill fobs, etc., and found the Delrin cases to be the best. The Keep2Go tube cracked within a week of getting it, the plastic case ripped itself apart, and aluminium fobs were heavy and uncomfortable.

Also, the fact that you there is a hole on the lid so you can daisy chain them together using something like an A&P keyring means that it's modular, as well. I'm currently carrying 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 1xAA and 1xAAA on an A&P keyring, and when I think that I won't need to carry a particular spare, I just take the case out of the loop. If I need to carry more spares, I just put more on the keyring.

Another good thing is that these are quite light and don't have sharp edges to make carrying uncomfortable.

I wish they had cases that will fit 17670 and 18650, but I can live without 'em.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Countycomm do a Delrin tube that fits an 18650 with a bit of space to spare, but it doesn't have a keyring hole.

Here's the dimensions:

• Overall length: 77.3 mm or 3"
  • External diameter: 30.5 mm or 1.2"
  • Internal opening: 20.3 mm or .80"
  • Internal depth: 72.0 mm or 2.85"
  • Weight 46.3 grams / 1.63 oz
delrinlargesafelarge4.jpg

Glock 22

Enlightened
Did'nt think that at all. I like the idea of you passing on some info, because there's not many battery carriers out there that I could find. Hopefully we could strike up enough interest and get some different types of carriers to fit other size batteries.

Not trying to jerk with the delrin single cell container, just passing on what I found out today.

EDIT:
I wish other members would post some pics of there style of battery carriers.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Did'nt think that at all. I like the idea of you passing on some info, because there's not many battery carriers out there that I could find. Hopefully we could strike up enough interest and get some different types of carriers to fit other size batteries.

EDIT:
I wish other members would post some pics of there style of battery carriers.

I'll be able to post pics of my 18650 size holder shortly. I couldn't resist ;) It will come in handy for a spare 18650, especially for when using an 18650 light on the bike where it needs to be kept safe and dry, or plenty of other things that could fit in it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures are fun...

CoghlanMatchHolder.jpg

Behold, the mighty and ubiquitous Coghlan safety orange, waterproof match holder with flint, for under $2!

I just checked and my protected EagleTac 3100s also fit fine, with maybe 1mm-2mm of up down movement, like the CR123s. Wrap them in some paper and the lateral wiggle room can be minimized.

Chris

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ironically, CountyComm also sells an O.D. green version of the same match-case.

Which really makes no sense since if you're in the woods and you drop the case, good luck finding it!

MattSPL

Enlightened
Here's the larger Delrin capsule. This one came with a spare o'ring.
The machining is so good on this that you can't tell which end opens once its closed.

7453508308_65212370c5_z.jpg

7453511136_f5a5781194_z.jpg

7453518238_7b71f3588b_z.jpg

7453524434_70763db7dc_z.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, CC's OD match cases are more handy than orange for most things. I have a half dozen of them and none have matches in them. I wouldn't have bought them if they were orange.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, CC's OD match cases are more handy than orange for most things. I have a half dozen of them and none have matches in them. I wouldn't have bought them if they were orange.

Like the guy above says, just don't drop the O.D.s in the weeds, at night and you'll be good.

I greased up my threads and the O-rings last night, as if they were flashlights, lol! The orange allowed me to use a Sharpie marker and write the cell type on the cap and sides, for easier viewing.

Don't know if I'd be able to see that too well on the O.D. ones?

Anyhow, variety is the spice of life, ain't it?

I'm hitting up WalMart in a few, just to see if they have them for cheaper than $2.29.

Chris

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm hitting up Wal-Mart in a few, just to see if they have them for cheaper than $2.29.

Chris

If you can't find them at Wally World for $1.00, it means they're sold out at that particular location for now. Ironically, I have seen that happen before. Would like to say that it's because more and more folks are enjoying camping or are preparing for emergencies . . .

Truth is, drug dealers love those match-cases since it's a great way for them to store the rocks they sell.